It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Uru Day is Coming!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
This is just a discussion, not an event announcement which is why it is posted here and not there. I saw Janeerah asking around if anyone was planning an anniversary celebration and thought I'd just get the ball rolling with some historical information to consider.

[Reveal] Spoiler: "Significant dates in Uru History"
Significant February dates in Uru History
February 4, 2004 – Cyan announces the end of Prologue.
February 9, 2004 – The cavern closes.
February 15, 2006 – D’mala opens.
February 5, 2007 – Until Uru ends.
February 15, 2007 – Official launch of Myst Online: Uru Live.
February 4, 2008 – GameTap announces the end of MOUL.
February 4, 2010 – Activity in the Cavern? is posted by DRC member, Victor Laxman.
February 8, 2010 – the MOUL Play page is updated. Rand is in the city waiting to greet the returning explorers, but thousands attempt to join all at once and crash the server. Fan donations make it possible to secure a better alternative and allow everyone to play for the next seven years. :D
February 4, 2011 – RAWA commemorates the first anniversary by turning on the fireworks in the neighborhoods. while some celebrate Uru Phoenix Day

For more dates, see Korovev's OOC Chronology.

Some like to celebrate February 8th as the anniversary of the current incarnation of the cavern and some celebrate February 4th as Uru Phoenix Day.

For me, February 4th is simply Uru Day. Twice on that date (2004 & 2008), ahrotahn publishers announced that the cavern would be closing. But explorers refused to go quietly and simply carry on with their surface lives. Whether it was in shards, other online worlds or on forums, explorers continued to gather and keep Uru alive. Then, on that date in 2010, a post was made to the DRC forums that began the final chapter of our story which continues to this day.

If you would like to organize an event and need some ideas, here are just a few links to past celebrations:

Just a thought, but perhaps some might consider celebrating Uru Day on February 4th by hosting event(s) on other shards for newcomers who can't get an account on the Cyan MOULa shard.

Note: When making plans, keep in mind that Feb 4th falls on the first Saturday of the month, so the AGM will be held that day at 13:00 KI time.

There is always much to celebrate in early February. This year, we can also celebrate the success of Cyan's first Kickstarter, Obduction and more importantly, the on-going improvements to RAWA v2.0 - upgrade in progress which actually began at the end of the MOULa Fifth Anniversary celebrations. This week, he reported that things are "humdrum" and that is cause for celebration. :D

On, and don't forget to wish Rand & Ryan a happy birthday on January 17th. :)

Last edited by Tai'lahr on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Uru Day is Coming!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm up for doing some music, if that will help. Done it before... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would propose something like the Party Hop :D

KI #46116. The Cavern is Image. Donate to help it stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

there something I like to do and I believe I PMed some people in the Cavern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:22 pm 

This year it's also 10 years anniversary of URU hosted by GameTap. 2007 was a year a lot of people joined URU, like myself. Well, there was something called Until URU before that, maybe someone can fill in on what happened then?

In 2007 there was so much activity in the cavern, there was the episodes there you could meet with CYAN characters in the cavern. Sometimes there were so many people there that you could hardly move in slow motion. The new age Annonay was released i the autumn that year, I remember standing in line at Watcher's Pub waiting for that book to appear opposite from the Ercana book.

Then Gametap closed down URU in early February 2008 and people became homeless. Some moved as refugees to Second Life, like myself, some joined shards and some just stayed posting in the forums.

But people didn't just give up and scattered around looking for something new, they kept in touch, waiting for URU live again.

I think that call for some kind of celebration later this year

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Anyway, personally I’d be more inclined to celebrate the beginnings than the endings ;)

By the way...

KI #46116. The Cavern is Image. Donate to help it stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thanks for that link, Korovev; I've added it to my OP under Significant Dates. I also love the idea of the Party Hop to various shards.

Kneb, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

AlanD & Zeke, thanks for jumping right in and volunteering.

Everyone, it appears TrapperDave has already begun tracking events planned for those dates, so be sure to post there if you have an event planned - even if it's just a regular weekly event like the AGM or Karaoke.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was led to this thread in a roundabout way through Facebook. Thanks, Tai - I think Eddie (the ball) is rolling down the hill now :)

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Celebrate the episodes? I guess I was the only one who hated that change and what it represented for Uru?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:36 am 
Obduction Backer

@ Tai'lahr:
Quote:
anniversary celebration and thought I'd just get the ball rolling

:) Well I guess the ball is rolling. How it rolled my way I don't really know?
It started on Skype with Max and the janeerah and they caught me there LOL
Since the ball was not being pushed to the edge of the hill, so that it could start rolling down the hill,
I guess I jumped in & gave it a kick.

Then I read your thread here stating you were not starting an Event here :)
Well one thing led to another ( long story short ), I jumped in with both feet.
I am not sure why?

I had just entered a contest that Zesty posted on FB for December Calendar Pics. I won with a pic of the 2012 MOULa Anniversary. That reminded me of how active the cavern used to be. looking at pics of different peeps that are long gone now.

So that being said, and the cavern is quite empty these days. I thought we need ghaelen back here for this! First thing I did was go after ghaelen on FB :)
I knew one day would be sufficient these days, but which day the 4th or the 8th?

Then I thought why not go through the entire span, since the 4th was a Saturday & happened to be an AGM day which brings people into the cavern. So I began by checking the GOMe Calendar for events already planned and started forming a schedule.

I do not know what I'm doing other than posting a schedule. I put all the feelers out that I could.
Asking many to participate with their on events. To do what they like best even if it's just going around and visiting all the Hoods to see what they are about and just chat.

As of now many are thinking and considering holding an event of many different types. We will see who comes forth & how the schedule fills in? It is looking pretty good so far if they all come forth!
I am letting them do there own thing whatever it may be and just filling in a schedule.

So yes Tai'lahr, you did start an Event here! You helped to get the ball rolling :wink:
Along with Max & janeerah it started rolling!
Thank You all ! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:42 am 

I stepped into online URU in Dec of 2003 during Prologue as CountryEastern. Feb 4 sounds perfect, since that was about the day the Cavern truly opened and the lag almost ended :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:41 am 

Any Celebration in the Cavern is good. Thanks Tai for the post and the ideas. The fact that the Cavern is still alive is a great thing and Gift to All Explorers and we owe so much to the D'ni, the DRC, all of our fellow explorers past, present and future. Shorah and thanks to all.

"We Build Worlds"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
/me is still waiting patiently for RAWA to get back to us about Yeesha's birthday. (We know she was born in 1815, but we don't know what day.)

I'm just going to assume Atrus' birthday is the same as Rand Miller's, for some strange reason....

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I actually worked out when Atrus' birthday was, based on the info given in BoA. There's a thread about it somewhere on the boards, but tl;dr, I believe it's 30th April. January is completely ruled out.

tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists