It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1955 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 131  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:23 am 

Chuckles58 wrote:

Quote:
I was wondering, since we are currently at CAVCON 4, will CAVCON 5 be held concurrently with Mysterium this year? Yes, it sounds like a fan convention, but don't let this stop you from updating it.

Thanks for setting this up, RAWA. It is a good source of feedback. I've seen a lot of progress in how well the servers are doing this month. I'm excited that your expectations have been exceeded. Now the hard part is keeping ours under control. I guess the donate button is our biggest weapon against those reasonable expectations.

:D Ditto's! :!:

LAHI

KI# 00270844
"...there is always more than one way to skin a reekoo" - Aitrus, BoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:03 pm 

Hi folks,

I found it quite tricky to find the link to donate!

i was so exited when I found the plcae to sign up here:

http://mystonline.com/en/

that I quite missed the place do donate which is here:

[url to a specific transaction removed]

I have now done so, I think we should have a sticky forum post called simply click here to donate

Shorah

Terrapin

Mod note: If you wish to donate, please just click the "Donate" button at the bottom of the Play page. Thanks!

Not the fastest but I have been following the Journey for a long time

Last edited by terrapin on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you, RAWA! This is very cool.
(I can't believe I missed this until today.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the continuous update, RAWA, I'm excited... :D

Seems we need to more continuously log in as well... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 pm 

More logins this week, people!

Shouldn't be too bad, a lot of parties this weekend for the March 7th anniversary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:22 am 
Obduction Backer

I agree. I know at least for me I'm studying up for mid term exams and Heavy Rain came out for the PS3 so that could also be some of the numbers. This weekend will be good though

URU KI # 00380986

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:02 pm 

Dachannien wrote:
Thanks much for this information, RAWA! :)

I'll admit, I was kind of hoping for something a bit more specific, so that people could understand how much benefit MO:ULagain gets out of $1, or $10, or $100 and then decide upon a donation amount accordingly. But any information is better than none, and this is actually a lot more information than we normally get from you guys ;)

Agreed. Of course this is somehow a great way of measuring all this, as a whole. But something more specific would be interesting as well. For example, on Wikipedia there is this donation bar, giving information on how much people would have to spend to keep the site running. Maybe this would be an idea for Uru - or maybe there are downsides to showing your finances so openly...

MO:ULa KI number: #1004808
Deviantart page: http://sythiar.deviantart.com
Personal homepage: http://www.evajutzeler.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:18 am 

Perhaps if there was a Cavcon 3 bar rather than one for the higher ups?

For example: Have X amount of people pay Y amount of dollars each month and we'd hit Cavcon 3 for the month.

This way, if people are going over that, it's just self-explanatory that we would hit stages 4 and 5 eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Every time I read Cavcon I read it Chavcon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:32 am 

Have you thought about re-releasing Uru: the Ages Beyond Myst with MO:UL integrated into it? It would take some time (might take more than you have) but it might make some money for you. This is how I would try to get donations: If you donate $10, then you can download Myst, Riven, or Exile; $20 and you can get Revelation, Uru: the Ages beyond Myst, Uru: the Path of the Shell, or End of Ages; $30 and you can get realMyst; $40 and you can get Uru: the Ages Beyond Myst and all of it's expansion packs; and at $20+, you can choose a combination of games (e.g. donate $20, you can get one game at the $20 level or two $10 level games).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:49 am 

I don't think they have the rights to all the games, which is why we won't see any of these ages in MOULa. Please correct me if I am wrong.

E.G.O.- 02129796
T.L.N.- ?

I VISITED AHNONAY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TREE SHIRT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 am 

NightHawk64345 wrote:
Have you thought about re-releasing Uru: the Ages Beyond Myst with MO:UL integrated into it? It would take some time (might take more than you have) but it might make some money for you. This is how I would try to get donations: If you donate $10, then you can download Myst, Riven, or Exile; $20 and you can get Revelation, Uru: the Ages beyond Myst, Uru: the Path of the Shell, or End of Ages; $30 and you can get realMyst; $40 and you can get Uru: the Ages Beyond Myst and all of it's expansion packs; and at $20+, you can choose a combination of games (e.g. donate $20, you can get one game at the $20 level or two $10 level games).

It would no longer be a donation (=free gift) :wink:
Also... once you give a gift to someone, you cease to have any claims to it or how it will be used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:32 pm 

you can buy myst, riven, realmyst, and uru:cc for like $7-10 from gog.com (cyan partnered with them). they are downloadable, have no drm, and are wrappered to work on modern systems. i don't think making them part of a donation tier would work very well. :) if you buy them from gog, cyan gets a piece of the sale anyway i would assume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:09 pm 
Thanks, RAWA--I always love more information (I'm a librarian), and the updates make it even better. I also really enjoy seeing you so active in the forum. I'm a glass-half-full type, so I'm very content with what we've got and optimistic (dare I say "guardedly"?) about what's to come. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Btw, this thread had some particularly hilarious moments. Thanks, everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:04 pm 

As someone at my church once said - to bewilderment, shock, and laughter:

"I upped my donation. Up Yours!" :shock:

Which is, like pig-spanking, another horrible way to persuade people to donate. :lol:

How about this instead:

"If you donate, more content will be added to the game - the game is dependent on donations to continue running, and to expand."

Now, it seems to me that at the rate this game has been growing in account counts, we could very well see 20,000+ accounts by the end of March, maybe 25,000 by the end of May.

At that point we could well be seeing a critical mass where we're able to reach CAVCON 5.

Imagine if those 25,000 people could be persuaded to give an average of $5/month each - some giving none, or $2, or $3, some $5, some $10 or $15, - but an average of $5, that'd add up to $1.5 million per year in production budget, enough to cover a small team of Cyan staff working full-time on the game.

Seriously, let's push this up to CAVCON 5 and make that happen, not with a temporary artificial spike in accounts or giving, but with something we can maintain and build long-term.

Visitor retention is very important here - I see the logons are decreasing - we need to try to keep these players in the game, and that means greeting and helping the new players who show up. Try going to the newest DRC Bevin and just hang around until somebody shows up there, somebody new to the game. Then greet them, be their friend, help them play, etc. Eventually, if they like the game and have been playing it for a good while, and are running out of things to do, suggest donating as a way to help the game to expand, but do so only after it's clear they like the game and want more.

Also suggest they buy and play the games from GOG.com, the other Cyan Myst games, during the times when nothing new is going on in MO:ULagain - that can keep them from being bored and also help to support Cyan Worlds.

Just because the account numbers are going up rapidly does not mean the player base is going up much; some may enter the game, get frustrated and confused, and leave - people who created accounts but didn't stay long enough to get hooked. We have to try to avoid new people getting frustrated, confused, alienated, etc, in this game, and that has a lot to do with our social interactions with them.

Also, RAWA, whenever we do reach CAVCON 5, I'd love to see updates on what Cyan Worlds is working on to improve the game. That is, open source updates, etc. We'd like to know what our donations are doing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1955 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 131  Next