It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 129  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:54 am 

Prof Julian Lapin wrote:
Quote:
which most of us know from the movie Wargames

Inb4 "only winning move". :wink:

:oops: Darn, I made one on UO, does that count? Oh well, might as well make one here too then. :P

So, RAWA, are you suggesting we shouldn't play? :P

*ducks flying tomatoes*

Post subject: Re: CAVCON Meter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:19 am 
Obduction Backer

RAWA wrote:
Stats as of 2/24/10

CAVCON: 4
Total Accounts created: 13,997
Logins this week: 46,881

Incredible to think that there are almost 7000 people per day (average) logging on this past week. I have always suggested that despite the 50 person city limit that there were a lot of folks online in the various Ages.

Dadguy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:21 am 

dadguy wrote:
RAWA wrote:
Stats as of 2/24/10

CAVCON: 4
Total Accounts created: 13,997
Logins this week: 46,881

Incredible to think that there are almost 7000 people per day (average) logging on this past week. I have always suggested that despite the 50 person city limit that there were a lot of folks online in the various Ages.

Dadguy

Keep in mind that that's 7,000 logins, not people. For example, if one person crashes twice they'll have added not one but two or three logins to the number: the initial one, the one after the first crash, and possibly one after the second.

That doesn't negate your point, but it's something to consider when looking at stats like these. :)

MOULagain KI# 00831617 MOUL: 04072686

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:44 am 

Well right on for our community! Guys let's keep the lights blue! :D

~Yeesha~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Cyan, ask Yeesha about the future... ;)
Make the first step, show your fans something "small" new stuff and you will be on Cavcon 10 !!!!!
This will work for sure... Yeesha told me so... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Impressive numbers! 8) Thanks RAWA! This level of transparency will certainly increase my motivation to continue to donate. (Seeing absolute $ numbers would even more.)

What CAVCON level do we have to reach to have extra money be spent on readying the source code for release? That point is suspiciously absent from the list in the description of level 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow! Great topic. It's great to have a way of judging how well Cyan is doing as far as a possible future for Uru. This also gives us the ability to rally together in times of need or to push forward when we're at the 5 mark.

This is definitely a link for my favorites bar :wink:

MOULagain KI #63214
Most fun I had in URU!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:32 am 

dadguy wrote:

Dadguy

I think so .. meny of us are eager to explore ages first before doing anything else ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:52 am 
Cyan Employee

Christian Walther wrote:
What CAVCON level do we have to reach to have extra money be spent on readying the source code for release? That point is suspiciously absent from the list in the description of level 5.

Since CAVCON 5 is the only level where there's any extra money for MO:ULagain expansion/improvement/development, I'll have to guess level 5. :)

What you're really asking is why "open source" wasn't in the Level 5 list.

The first answer to that is: because it's my list, and as I have explained previously, I don't pretend to have a grasp on details of the open source process, so rather than make references that will be taken as promises when I don't know what I'm talking about, I put in a convenient "etc." to cover my bases.

The second answer is that it's my (limited) understanding that at least some portions* of some things* somewhere* sometime* somehow* will have to be released for the "incorporating fan created content" goal (which was on my list) to happen. So while it isn't explicitly stated for the reasons above, it seems to at least be partially implied.

And as the "setting expectations" thread, the updated "about" button at the top of the screen, the "developer" button at the top of the screen, and at least half a dozen other times in the last four months say, we're still gradually moving in that direction, and MO:ULagain is but the first step.

Will it happen as quickly as everyone wants it to? Nope.
Is it moving more quickly in the last few months than it has in the previous year and a half? Um, yeah... The proof? There's ~14,000 accounts looking to get access to the Cavern. Many of those have. Repeatedly. Seems like a pretty good first step to me.

:)

RAWA
* terms left intentionally undefined because, as I freely admit, I don't know what I'm talking about regarding anything "open source".
Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Prohibited where void. Any similarities to any promises, living or dead, real or imagined, is purely coincidental. Do not bend, fold, tear, spindle, mutilate or masticate. He who laughs last, laughs after everyone else. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Lather, rinse, repeat. If you can read this, you're too close. My other car is a car. "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks RAWA for being so open towards the community about the state of MOUL!
I hope we will be at level 5 eventually! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:05 pm 

*donates another $4 to Cyan*

Let's keep them coming! 8)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:22 pm 

Don't forget to read the small print in RAWA's posts. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

RAWA wrote:
What you're really asking is why "open source" wasn't in the Level 5 list.

That is true. Thanks for the clarification, RAWA! :D

I apologize if my comment came across a bit snarkier than intended. Let me make it clear that I am a very happy one of 14000 and I fully support your first step.

The reason I commented was that your level 5 list sounded a bit like a priority list to me. Not even an intended one, but an implied one – involuntarily listing the things that are most important to Cyan right now, omitting those that come later. And it would have saddened me to see the bold step that Cyan announced a bit more than a year ago relegated to “etc.” on a priority list now. Especially since many of us are eager to help with tasks like bug fixes or incorporating fan created content. Opening the source comes as a prerequisite to that, so we would prefer to see it at the top of Cyan’s priority list. And, to be honest, I didn’t see that in the “setting expectations” post (the words “open source” don’t occur in it), the “developers” page is old (unless I misremeber), and I admit I haven’t read the new “about” page since the opening of MO:ULagain. So I hope you forgive me my slight nervousness. (A nervousness that I have the impression was shared by others in the hacker/Writer corner of the community.)

I’m glad to hear that the list wasn’t an official Cyan priority list, and I’m glad to hear that you didn’t mean “bug fixes” or “incorporating fan created content” as goals that would be reached by Cyan alone independently of the “open source” train. As you can see, not making any references that will be taken as promises when you don’t know what you’re talking about didn’t cover your bases – we will just take your omissions as (negative) promises. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the status update, RAWA! It's exciting to see that we're at CAVCON 4.

/me seconds the please-tell-us-how-much-more-must-be-donated-to-reach-CAVCON-5 motion. If you can.

What status do we have to get to before my avatar gets a Bahro costume? (Think Halloween!) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thanks RAWA!

This is awesome! By giving us these numbers, you're giving us more control over Uru's future. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to keep it going.

I hope Cyan will consider adding the Paypal option that allows people to choose to receive period reminders. That could help us to stablize Uru's future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 129  Next