It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 130  Next
 Post subject: Re: CAVCON Meter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

RAWA wrote:
CAVCON Donation Meter: 1.2 (July, in progress, as of 7/8/13)
That is worrysome :( . We're getting into the "deep doo-doo" region here since we know that 1.x is "not sustainable" by RAWA's CAVCON descriptions.

Now, I'm pretty sure that the update (and it's abortive predecessor) had an impact during June, but we must also recognise that the last time CAVCON exceeded 3.0 was in November 2012, and that kind of long term apathy regarding support for MOULa is probably the real killer.

Some of you know that I've been tracking the CAVCON and trying to model what's going on (without knowing the precise details of the costs) and June was the month where my model predicted we'd dip beyond the critical level of "debt" to go below CAVCON 2. It's not much of a consolation to have my model validated in this way :| .

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:22 pm 

Come to think of it, what would exactly happen to MOULa if it got shut down? Would the servers just be "temporarily" stopped or would they simply be reset/repurposed/sold/whatever? In case of the former, would Uru Live ever be relaunched if there were enough donations again?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Chances are that it'd keep running until such time as the annual server reservations expire (around Feb-Apr time, I'm not sure), unless the monthly running costs were getting out of hand, which is possible.

Since the servers are leased from Amazon they'd then essentially "disappear", back into Amazon's cloud. A subsequent restart would really depend on whether the will to experiment with MOUL remained alive within Cyan. Personally, I wouldn't be all that hopeful - If it were me in that position I think I'd feel I'd flogged it enough and it was time to give up :( .

Without an active MOULa to service, I don't really see how Cyan could continue to collect donations after a shut down, which might make the prospect of funding a restart difficult to envisage.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've just donated via paypal as usual - but I've never bothered to add my account or player name. I assumed the money must get through to Cyan all the same. But given the cavcon level, every penny counts. I hope I have not been going wrong all this time? :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 pm 

Oh, and what exactly does the .2 part of "1.2" stand for? I know that "2.2" would mean 20% of the goal, but what does the decimal place mean in the 1.x range?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Acorn1 wrote:
I've just donated via paypal as usual - but I've never bothered to add my account or player name. I assumed the money must get through to Cyan all the same. I hope I have not been going wrong all this time? :?
The account & player name aren't required, just something extra. If you use the Donate button here, then don't worry; it goes to Cyan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Now I'm confused...we started at 2.0 at the beginning of the month and now we are at 1.2 ?

None the less..just curious.

I just donated as well

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:35 am 

dgelessus wrote:
Oh, and what exactly does the .2 part of "1.2" stand for? I know that "2.2" would mean 20% of the goal, but what does the decimal place mean in the 1.x range?

It means the same thing as 2.2, 1.2 means that the donations cover 20% of the monthly expenses, but the reserve itself is gone, whereas 2.2 means the same thing but with a reserve fund to pool into.

This means that the combined total of this month's donations and the reserve fund didn't cover this month's expenses and until a reserve fund is filled up again Cyan will be paying the remainder of the cost.

Can't believe it's taken me to this point to get me to donate, but mine will matter now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Just donated. Everything's better now. Well, a little better. We're at least up to 1.3 now...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:12 am 

hmmm I'm still too broke. I'll help in August or September...definitely not in July sorry. :? :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Is there any proof that there is really this bad of money trouble? That would help before panicking.

It says we are at "CAVCON 1.2" but does that necessarily mean Cyan is as low on money for the server as some think?

The CAVCON method changed a while back, and now it always resets each month, right? So the CAVCON level goes down to broke on the 1st of each month regardless of how much money was received in the previous months?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:50 am 

Ehren wrote:
Is there any proof that there is really this bad of money trouble? That would help before panicking.

It says we are at "CAVCON 1.2" but does that necessarily mean Cyan is as low on money for the server as some think?

The CAVCON method changed a while back, and now it always resets each month, right? So the CAVCON level goes down to broke on the 1st of each month regardless of how much money was received in the previous months?

That's what the difference between 1.x and 2.x is about. 2.x means that there's still leftover money from previous months, and 1.x means that there's no more leftover money.
So yes, this is the right time to panic.

Charura wrote:
Now I'm confused...we started at 2.0 at the beginning of the month and now we are at 1.2?

Cyan always sets it to 2.0 at the beginning and then probably realized later "Oh, empty fund!", so they made it 1.2. If the fund would still have money in it, CAVCON would now be 2.2.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
The account & player name aren't required, just something extra. If you use the Donate button here, then don't worry; it goes to Cyan.

thanks, Tai' :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:52 pm 

Acorn1 wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:

thanks, Tai' :)

You just fall in the category: "Given by the Anonymous Coward" :lol:

No in fact, they might just put them in an anonymous donater category. There might be people that purposedly want their donations to stay anonymous.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle wrote:

You just fall in the category: "Given by the Anonymous Coward" :lol:

Anonymous Lazybones more like!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 130  Next