It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Fixing Account Creation?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 pm 

Account Creation for new players has been offline for about a year now.

This is making it impossible for any new players to join MOULa, and it's detrimental to the health and viability of this community.

Without new players, over time MOULa has nowhere to go but downhill.

So I just want to ask Cyan, and I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about this, is there any plan to fix this soon?

I know Obduction has been consuming all of Cyan's time and that a lot of things got shoved aside as a result, but this is pretty important. The Myst fanbase shouldn't be ignored just because the studio has a new IP, and quite frankly it is, or should be, in Cyan's interest to keep MOULa active and able to grow, even if only for the modest ongoing stream of donor revenue it can still potentially generate and to maintain the support of the fans who are still buying the studio's products.

Please Cyan, fix this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

matthornb wrote:
... I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about this, is there any plan to fix this soon?

Well said, Matt.

More specifically, it would be good to hear from Cyan exactly what is required to get account creation back on line again.

Is it a matter of ongoing human intervention that would be required in order to filter out spammers, bots and griefers? I think we could set up a rotating volunteer system that could accomplish this, taking the load off Cyan staff.

Is it a tech matter, where code must be written, databases must be culled and/or protocol has to be established in order to restore a practical system for account creation? Come up with a number on the costs for this labor, and we'll set up a special fund, aside from CAVCON, to accomplish these tasks.

We don't need to hear community members' best guesses as to what the hurdles are, we need factual info from Cyan on what is required to make this vital function work again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:38 pm 

Maybe they are waiting for the"fan made ages" which might not only attract new comers it will bring back some of the old community members, In theory with enough "New Content" there may be so many people wanting to sign up to check out the new stuff and willing to donate to keep a steady flow of it coming the request to open up account creation will be so overwhelming they wont be able to refuse.

In the mean time I don't see either one happening any time soon

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Last edited by Karkadann on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
Maybe there waiting for the"fan made ages" which might not only attract new comers it will bring back some of the old community members, In theory with enough "New Content" there may be so many people wanting to sign up to check out the new stuff and willing to donate to keep a steady flow of it coming the request to open up account creation will be so overwhelming they wont be able to refuse.

In the mean time I don't see either one happening any time soon

But, if 'We', the community are already keeping the ground game (Cavcon) going with our donations (they obviously see this happening, because they tell us when they need more money), why are we not seeing any help from Cyan to bolster the communities efforts? At least they should say 'yes, we want to help' or 'no, go fly a kite'... I find this unlike Cyan to keep us in the dark for so long...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:19 am 

As I recall they said "the weight is on our shoulders" the fan ages are up to us, and I think people working on ages to add to MOULa will definitely attract Cyan's attention, T shirts are great but they can not be explored or solved. It is a start and it shows Cyan is willing. Unfortunately we seemed to have fallen short on our end. Whether that's from to much Real life taking up to much time, perhaps some of us have bitten off more then we can chew, lack of motivation, or monetary compensation for services rendered, I don't know and I cant say. The good news is Adam is making progress on Korman, and more people seem to be getting interested in age writing.

Unfortunately we still need a library or nexus for the fan ages (Hint Hint I see Matt is back), that's the first step in a thousand mile journey that Uru live has the potential to take. There were a few library's and several nexus's in the works but age writing .............well it takes ages, hence the name.

In any case the next move is ours, lets try to make it a good one because the existence of MOULa may depend on it more then most realize

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Last edited by Karkadann on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
Maybe there

Ahem...
Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
We don't need to hear community members' best guesses as to what the hurdles are, we need factual info from Cyan

Agreed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 pm 

I, too, would very much like to hear from Cyan. Having the MOUL subscription locked down means a lot of people won't be able to join, and others will be bored and leave. Having other shards available is handy, but seeing the "main" server in such poor state is really disheartening. No wonder cavcon is so low.

Slightly off topic (although related to what Karkadann said), I would be glad if we had news about how the Intangibles are doing. I know they are working hard, we all know Adam is doing his best with Korman. And we know Tweek is working on some old/new Ages which take an incredible amount of time to build, but can't really reveal them before they're released anyway.
I'm more interested by subjects like: how is the fan-Ages pipeline coming along, especially since I am under the impression that they are slowed down by Cyan themselves :roll: (oh, and spare me the "we-don't-has-a-Nexus" excuse - I don't buy it).

Actually, even a smallish "We have it on a todo list, please be patient" from Cyan would reassure me a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:14 pm 

Sirius wrote:
how is the fan-Ages pipeline coming along, especially since I am under the impression that they are slowed down by Cyan themselves :roll: (oh, and spare me the "we-don't-has-a-Nexus" excuse - I don't buy it).
lot.

Actually we have Damar a library/nexus from Whilyam, and KorTiwah Nexus from Emor D'ni Lap, both of which im told need a programmer perhaps like Sirius to do the coding, the original library Sevcor from Matthornb that needs the physics, an additional library being worked on by Doobes2 who just started one, and my attempt to convert the Bead age to a library.

On that note I was wondering
@ Sirius do these pythons work on MOULa if they do or can be rewritten to work with MOULa I can submit a library with several linking options (pick the one that works best) and a journal with a story about how the age was build by a visitor not the D'ni or the DRC to accommodate the links for the ages built by other visitors with the same or similar age writing interest, or perhaps something similar to the story I wrote for Relitivity

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
Sevcor

Out of curiosity, why do you spell it with a c instead of a k?

tumblr: kaththedragon

Grand Master of the Guild of Linguists

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:20 pm 

KathAveara wrote:
Karkadann wrote:
Sevcor

Out of curiosity, why do you spell it with a c instead of a k?

Because Im lousy at spelling and grammar, but pretty good with 3D graphics
[Reveal] Spoiler: Relativity
ImageImage

the main reason why I'm the art and not as much the programming and coding

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Last edited by Karkadann on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:23 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Sirius wrote:
I am under the impression that they are slowed down by Cyan themselves...
Cyan is by design - or by definition - not in the path of Fan Content. They are at the end of the pipeline, and then only for the official MOULa shard. Fans are entirely responsible and accountable until there is a complete, tested product ready for installation. Account Creation is not a blocker.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:43 pm 

But account creation is a vital part of getting fresh people into the cavern to fill the ranks of the communtity. So, some official word will be nice. It's Sunday night and cavern is mostly empty.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Please, let's not conflate Account Creation with Content Creation. These are two entirely different things, under entirely different control.

Cyan has bequeathed the keys to Content Creation to the URU community. Cyan has not bequeathed the keys to Account Creation....this is entirely Cyan's domain. However, if the community can assist with basic labor or overcoming a one-time financial need, we need specifics.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:30 pm 

actually you may be able to use new content creation to get Cyan to open up new account creation.

Hypothetical situation, someone comes up with, and adds a fan made Nexus or library, several people add there fan ages, word gets out about the new content, attracting new comers and some of the older members all wanting to start a new account and check out the new content, but can't. They all send Cyan an Email requesting a new account, Cyan is so overwhelmed with Email requesting a new account they finally open up new account creation. In addition everyone can help on some level

I think its an old chess strategy

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:18 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
@ Sirius do these pythons work on MOULa if they do or can be rewritten to work with MOULa
Nah, unfortunately they aren't available on MOUL because they use the linking system from the Offline-KI. The OKI part ensures for instance linking doesn't destroy the time-space continuum (read: Age instancing), which in turn could blow up people's savegame.
It was my hope that we could get these scripts on MOUL someday, though, because I believe it's still the easiest and safest way to provide linking books and journals to Age authors. But right now this would require rewriting some parts in a MOUL-compatible way.

JWPlatt wrote:
Cyan is by design - or by definition - not in the path of Fan Content
That is true.
However, I am under the impression things always go faster when Cyan isn't mixed with it - for various reasons (for instance, all the engine fixes available in the Gehn shard which didn't yet make it to MOUL despite being "production-ready", or the fact that fan-Age access has been solved years ago through various means on fanmade shards). And since neither the Intangibles nor Cyan are very talkative of late, I'm starting to wonder what is actually happening.
Hence me asking questions instead of trying to find (wrong) answers by myself, which would lead only to me being frustrated and misinformed. I understand people having no time for Uru, but would really love that they say so more often :)

JWPlatt and Emor wrote:
Account Creation is not a blocker
[...]
Please, let's not conflate Account Creation with Content Creation
No indeed, account creation is not a blocker, sorry if it sounded that way - that's not what I meant.
Account creation is a priority to get new players to MOUL, just as the Nexus thing is a priority to make these players stay.
I overreacted a bit when reading Karkadann mentioning the new content stuff - in both cases we don't know much about it and yet it's vital to get it working. But this time I would really love the account creation thing to NOT be everyone's next pet-subject for 3 or more years.
I do admit I kind of derailed the thread. But seeing the same subject come up every two weeks and seeing no one has a definite answer about "yes" or "no" or "later" tires me.
But if this thread must be strictly account-creation related, then so be it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next