It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is Anyone Else...?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:24 pm 

Completely bored with this game as I am? I don't mean to say this to be overly harsh and rant/complain but I am finding this emotion hard to ignore.

I have been a avid Myst player for a long time, I really love all the games and have bought and re-bought them several times, so it really does grind me to find I am this point.

I don't know if maybe my expectations were wrong/off but to me I was expecting to be able to do something and be engaged more than I am. The whole thing has just become a really nice chat program and I don't chat much and even when I try nobody else wants to talk. So what is the point of even logging on?

Playing the game a running around for minuscule things that don't really have a point to me is not fun or interesting. Same goes for trying to balance myself on a cone for a hour and take a picture of it (like another explorer/poster suggested) or taking advantages of bugs or sitting around in the game for hours on end hoping for some person/character to show up that to be honest I don't care about. This to me is not active game play but a thinly veiled attempt by the people at Cyan to keep overly enthusiastic players (and of course there online numbers up) in the game hanging on by a lame thread of some sort of game play.

The one thing I liked about the Myst games as a whole was that they had content to go along with story. They had something in the games to keep you going, looking and playing. This right now does not and maybe I a burnt from playing URU and all its incarnations and betas but I think I am about done.

I don't know its kind of sad to wait so long for something and then be completely disappointed and near comatic boredom.

Post subject: Boredom
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:40 pm 

I hate to admit that I agree with you on every point. I have had and continue to have high hopes that Uru will be an engaging interactive experience. However at this point I am still striving very hard to make new friends and waiting patiently for new story content. (Berluth)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:48 pm 

Cyan don't work weekends so anything new would be released on Monday ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just curious...

Have you completed Yeesha's initial quest, collected the Bahro poles, and returned to the Cleft?

Have you found all the Relto pages?

Have you read all the in-game history?

Have you received the rewards for "completing" Eders Delin and Tsogal?

Have you collected all the available GZ markers so far?

Have you beaten a whole bunch of people at 'Heek?

Have you helped newcomers with their personal ages?

I think Cyan was hoping this would keep people busy for the first week or, at the most, two until they could roll out some more content...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:43 pm 

We must remember that all of us who have played CC, UU and UL beta have actually overplayed! We have scratched every inch of the game which of cause makes some peopled bored. As RV suggests the game has actually only been out for 10 days, and we still have to get to the museum and get the rest of the red and all of the calibration markers, plus new stuff coming soon.
But I really do understand you guys who are getting bored, especially if you are not the communicating type in cavern. The chatting is the thing that gives me most from URU at the moment - while waiting for new things to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:43 pm 

Reverend Vader wrote:
Just curious...

Have you completed Yeesha's initial quest, collected the Bahro poles, and returned to the Cleft?

Have you found all the Relto pages?

Have you read all the in-game history?

Have you received the rewards for "completing" Eders Delin and Tsogal?

Have you collected all the available GZ markers so far?

Have you beaten a whole bunch of people at 'Heek?

Have you helped newcomers with their personal ages?

I think Cyan was hoping this would keep people busy for the first week or, at the most, two until they could roll out some more content...

As I said in my post I have played this game for a LONG time and have been in every beta there even has been. So uh, yes I have done and seen it all as has many others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:01 pm 

Have you thought of getting involved in some of the fan work that is going on?

I know it's not Cyan level stuff but interesting things are happening out in the community, more then enough stuff to keep a person busy just browsing for a week or two.

At the very least I would love to see the gameroom finished sooner rather then later, because as you said rygynjupiter
Quote:
I have played this game for a LONG time

Between CC, UU, OBMOUL, and MOUL I've freed a small battalion of Bahro, the only thing I have never not once done is Heek, and that's just because I'm saving it for when I am seriously bored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:27 pm 

I've scoured every inch of Uru since 2003. That's why I'm not joining GameTap till possibly this summer. Maybe by then it'll have enough new content to explore that may equal the scope of Teledahn/Garrison.

Last edited by Corona on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:31 pm 

I think the new pod ages planned for the Museum should definitely roll out sooner rather than later. And that they need some historic information or something that adds to our understanding of how "destruction might be coming..." I was disappointed that Tsolgal's challenge was exactly like Delin, with no variation other than the age.

The other surprise is how quiet Cate and the DRC were this week, following the Yeesha incident. That had the making of a nice push to the story, but was kind of like a tree falling in the forest. For the people who were there (after five hours of working to attract attention) it was rewarding to some degree. But it needed more context or reaction from the DRC, which didn't occur.

A KI mail from the DRC about the state of the Museum would have been nice.

I think we fans can last a long time on a drip, drip, drip approach. One little thing each day or two to talk about. A weird KI mail that no one can explain. A notebook. A photo in a Bevin that shows something we have not seen before. But yes, there has to be a reason to link down each day or night to see what's going on.

For the new players, I fear there is going to be a lot of dropout after they have done the main journey. They don't have the emotional investment that a lot of us do, and it will be far easier for them to feel "nothing's going on, I am outta here..."

"Let's pretend it's not," said Rabbit, "and let's see what happens."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:43 pm 

i understand how some can be bored, this game has been out like, forever :P ok, really, i'm lying and maybe even exaggerating some.

seriously though, you want to meet people and find things to do? help a party thru delin of tsogal, join a group in the begginers bevin and ask questions of the ResEngs (between 5pm and 12am), or go to the guild of greeters its a great way to meet people

i have been on uru every night this week and i have not been bored.

edit *note self: /me still has to finish the notebooks in kings hall*

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:51 pm 

One of the other things that I find annoying is the time constraints applied. Those that missed the January sparkie for instance. Do they have to wait around for 11 months to pick it up because the didn't get in at the beginning? Seems like an off hand way to keep the revenues locked in. If for one reason or another you have to drop out for a while, you won't be able to go back and complete your missing stuff. Or the Delin book that has been removed from most bevins. Again these folks have to chase around trying to find the hoods that still have them and then try to get a group together in that hood to go. Why not put them in the Library where they could easily gather a group and go.
Having done everything that can be done, I personally am getting tired of walking around the city and trying to find something new to look at or talk about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:56 pm 

When groups suggest playing Hide & Seek you just can't help but deduce something is scraping the bottom of a barrel. "Eye Spy With My Eye", "20 Questions", "52 PickUp", "100 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall"....(now that's something I'd like to see in Garrison. :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think those of us who have played this a plethora of times just need to sit tight for a bit.

Getting the content we've seen over and over re-engineered and ready for launching was no small feat. To have all the old content *and* extensive new content right out of the starting gate, likely would have pushed the official launch into late spring or summer. And that would have sucked rocks through a twisty straw.

For those of us who were there for Prologue, and UU, it's like we've been beta-testing the game for 4+ years now. Yeah, it's boring when you do the same thing over and over. It feels like we've been handed the same thing we've already done. And, in essence, we have... but this is no longer a 'dead' game or a 'beta' game, it's a living, growing thing... and that growing *is* going to happen, we *know* it, unlike the last 4 years of Uru.

So if we can get past our 'oldtimer' reaction of "Oh, Maker, not the marker missions *AGAIN*", and look at it from the persepctive of "OK, the old stuff works, and is LIVE, now bring on the new goodies!", then I think we can rebuild the excitement and anticipation.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:37 pm 

I know, I know I don't want to be a grumbling old timer complainer, I don't but it can be hard and frustrating. I can now understand why games like WOW (which I don't play) has millions of people playing it cause anyone can be dropped into it, play it and always have something to do everyday.

I guess the waiting game is wearing thin for me. And doing things like trying to organize sit-ins or have some gathering of people all standing around not talking or playing hide and seek etc... is not my idea of fun and as Corona puts it "its scraping the bottom of the barrel" to do such things. I think its kind of a sad statement that people have to resort to such things in order to have something to do in the game. I mean then what is the point of the game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:42 pm 

Jinglish wrote:
I think the new pod ages planned for the Museum should definitely roll out sooner rather than later. And that they need some historic information or something that adds to our understanding of how "destruction might be coming..." I was disappointed that Tsolgal's challenge was exactly like Delin, with no variation other than the age.

The other surprise is how quiet Cate and the DRC were this week, following the Yeesha incident. That had the making of a nice push to the story, but was kind of like a tree falling in the forest. For the people who were there (after five hours of working to attract attention) it was rewarding to some degree. But it needed more context or reaction from the DRC, which didn't occur.

A KI mail from the DRC about the state of the Museum would have been nice.

I think we fans can last a long time on a drip, drip, drip approach. One little thing each day or two to talk about. A weird KI mail that no one can explain. A notebook. A photo in a Bevin that shows something we have not seen before. But yes, there has to be a reason to link down each day or night to see what's going on.

For the new players, I fear there is going to be a lot of dropout after they have done the main journey. They don't have the emotional investment that a lot of us do, and it will be far easier for them to feel "nothing's going on, I am outta here..."

You make excellent and valid points. Though I don't know if I could live on the "drip,drip" of gaming. I kind of think the point of a game like this is to "get lost in it" or "absorbed" in it so that before you know it hours have gone by and you have forgotten to eat etc... but with that approach and the way it is now I don't spend more then five minutes in game even when there is new bit of something. You login, get it then logout not much else, nothing keeping you there, nothing engaging you. That's kind of sad.