It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
TGMChrist. wrote:
Why it's so difficult to make the Account Creation Online. And this game is the official and only Online game that Cyan Inc. made. :cry: The shards are made by fans.

If "made by fans" means something isn't worthy of your time, then you should probably stop wasting your time on the MOULa shard since it's filled with fan fixes and content.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:28 pm 

Oh sorry Tai'lahr. I didn't want this what I wrote. There is fan content and I like it. I would know why the Account Creation so difficult is to reactive it. :roll:

Code:
A3'9UR4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:38 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
Leosphinx wrote:
I used to have an account years ago ..but support has told me it no longer exists due to the account purge. At this point I'm guessing I'm out of luck :(
That suggests you're talking about an account from before 2010 - there are no surviving accounts from those times. Unused, later accounts were deactivated, not removed. You can still ask for re-activation or a new account but you'd need to raise a ticket through support.cyan.com and wait in line with all the other support tickets.

Thanks Mac_Fife...& yes ..it was an old account. Unfortunately I never made a newer account that would be able to be reactivated. I had an old laptop that couldn't run it well without overheating so I'd stopped playing until recently. So I'm stuck waiting to see if the account creation service is ever reopened. I guess I'll just keep checking back & hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:17 pm 

Unfortunately, I discovered MOUL after account creation had been turned off. Since then, I've joined most of the known alternate shards and have played through most of the game's core content. I've sent requests to Cyan for MOULa account creation and have received no reply. I guess I'll just have to be patient. In total, I may have met four or five people in the alternate shards. Most of the time I wander around by myself. I'd really enjoy playing MOULa, but for now that isn't an option.

I hope Cyan begins to answer support tickets for account creation soon. I've been waiting for a long time! :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:18 am 

Leosphinx wrote:
Mac_Fife wrote:
Leosphinx wrote:
I used to have an account years ago ..but support has told me it no longer exists due to the account purge. At this point I'm guessing I'm out of luck :(
That suggests you're talking about an account from before 2010 - there are no surviving accounts from those times. Unused, later accounts were deactivated, not removed. You can still ask for re-activation or a new account but you'd need to raise a ticket through support.cyan.com and wait in line with all the other support tickets.

Thanks Mac_Fife...& yes ..it was an old account. Unfortunately I never made a newer account that would be able to be reactivated. I had an old laptop that couldn't run it well without overheating so I'd stopped playing until recently. So I'm stuck waiting to see if the account creation service is ever reopened. I guess I'll just keep checking back & hope for the best.

Well, that answers my problem. I've essentially got the same issue as Leosphinx.
Which of the current shards are still active at the moment?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Gehn, Open Cave, Minkata, D.I.

Edit: added links to relative pages.

KI #46116. The Cavern is Image. Donate to help it stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies

Last edited by korovev on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

The OpenUru.org Minkata Testing Shard is the closest to Cyan's MOULa shard, but if you want to see more, I recommend the Guild of Writers' Gehn Shard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 am 

I'm already in the process of getting Gehn, the updater is painfully slow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:43 pm 

Would be great if that registering troubles could be solved any time soon. And with soon I mean weeks. Registering routine has been down for many month now and I don't think it encourages people to join the cavern. There is few of us left as it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Warning: Geezer Rant Ahead. :wink:

After the first cavern closure in 2004, fans dried their tears and went to work creating their own shards and this is where they gathered until Cyan was able to bring Uru back in 2006. For many fans, the Until Uru era on fan hosted shards was their introduction to Uru online and they were satisfied just to be able to meet with other fans in their favorite worlds.

Perhaps those who are concerned about the Cyan MOULa shard being closed to newcomers should arrange to host welcoming events for them on the shards that are still open to them. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:50 am 

It is an irony that the hayday of fan shards was Until Uru when there was no alternative shard from Cyan and dispite numerous hacks (fixes and extras) and the requirement to have some ongoing vault maintainance there was still a regular attendance also during Until Uru there was the posibility of adding some limited content via the Python script access.

In some ways Ghen and the Minkata testing shard might actually be stronger if MOULa was not there.

I am not suggesting that Cyan should drop MOULa only that the other shards would be stronger if it was not there as the Uru flagship.

Those of us who do still have MOULa accounts could go all out to have open days and a recruiting drive but while there is a block on automated account creation all we end up with are frustrated would be joiners and a pile of support tickets at Cyan.

Now that "The Guild of Writers" has a new addon for Blender that is "Korman" (not complete but it is working for example ladders are still not there yet) where you can build an age using Blender and export it to an Alcugs or a MOULa type shard this bypasses the complications arising out of 3dMax dropping support for 32bit.

Cyan have allways held out the hope that we would see fan produced content on MOULa and there are two perfectly good additions you can visit on the Ghen shard that I for one would like to see on MOULa but as always we have to wait for Cyan.

In addition the Deep Island (Alcugs shard) has over 130 fan produced ages and I accept some of these are dire but with Korman in place it is posible a good chunk of these could be migrated to a MOULa style shard for testing be that either the "Mintaka testing shard" or "Ghen".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

JKla wrote:
In some ways Ghen and the Minkata testing shard might actually be stronger if MOULa was not there.

First thing to ask in that scenario: would the MOUL data files still be available if Cyan’s shard were to close?

If not, how would that benefit new explorers better than the current situation?

KI #46116. The Cavern is Image. Donate to help it stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:25 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Until Uru still needed Cyan's auth server.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:05 pm 

korovev wrote:
JKla wrote:

First thing to ask in that scenario: would the MOUL data files still be available if Cyan’s shard were to close?

In some form or another.
Uru has survived all this time I don't think its gonna fade away ant time soon.
The Myst saga including Uru in all its forms will live as long as there are fans who believe in it

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:55 pm 

I am not suggestng there would be some sort of a fix required for this scenario.

I just feel that as the primary MOULa has a static and unchanging nature it gets visitors that see that there is nothing new and there is no natural arrow to the other places. So they leave disapointed.

Regularly I have been in the cavern and met explorers disapointed in the lack of new content who know nothing of Deep Island, Drizzle or Ghen. They are facinated that there are Fan Ages to visit.

If MOULa was not there then searches would posibly lead the inquiring minds those shards that did have new content.

In a perfect Myst/Uru universe Cyan would be adding new content daily both Fan and Cyan produced and MOULa would be alive with visitors. :wink: