It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:51 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I expect that any solution for the griefing issue will impose a burden on the user, to some extent. Indeed, you could argue that this is the point, to create "friction", but a friction that is not so great as to seriously impede the majority of legitimate users who only need to do this once but becomes a pain for the griefer trying to create new accounts after being banned.

No-one is claiming this solution is perfect, but it's considerably better than having no account creation at all, which is where we were before.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I expect that any solution for the griefing issue will impose a burden on the user, to some extent.

I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 pm 

belford wrote:
It's expected that services have *opt-in* two-factor or two-step authentication. It's much rarer to *require* it. (Although, yes, that sometimes happens too.)

This is what I have seen with the services I have used including the big ones like Google, Microsoft and Facebook.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:04 am 

I am just curios,how many new accounts have been implemented since the accounts creation has been reactivated??
I have an idea that MIGHT solve a problem and yet put some $$ in the coffers if the new account reactivation is not working well.
I would like a response to this since it has been a couple months now.

KI 00142411

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:24 am 

I think only Cyan can answer that but feel free to post your idea, even if it's not a great one it could lead to discussions that may improve the signup process.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:28 am 

OK, Jamie, I shall :)
Griefers / griefing seems like what started this umm mess.
My idea, short and sweet, is charge of a 1 time fee for new account creation. I know this may not be popular, but... say $40 one time fee along with a viable phone number (which most credit/debit cards have).
Griefers/trouble makers I don't think would spend $480 just to mess with people unless they are full with money. This solves the need for some one to have to go purchase a cell/mobi just to get a PIN and Facebook if it is currently involved.
I don't know if Cyan can or has the capability to set up something of this nature.
If some one gets themselves banned they have to create a new account or receive clemency, correct?
So what does the community and Cyan think of this idea?

KI 00142411

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Already suggested and discarded.

KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:45 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Indeed. One of the problems with charging a fee is that it needs to be administered. Account creation would need to be linked to administrative confirmation that the fee has been paid, you'd need to have some mechanism to account for the many legacy users that created accounts before the fee was introduced and a fee payer could then expects rights of appeal and refund in the event they are banned. Net result is that the costs of managing such a system would likely exceed the "income". There may even be tax implications for Cyan, and a mandatory "fee" might affect the "donation" status for their PayPal account. I know that on the face of it, charging a fee looks like a simple answer, but it's just not as simple as it looks.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:30 pm 

Also if you charge a fee some people might expect something in return, like fast technical support, new content or regular visits by moderators(the guys in the blue DRC hardhats). There is also the question of which currency would the fee be in.(though I imagine it would be in US dollars for simplicity)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

So the bottom line answer is donate (to the servers) and quite trying to figure out how (without a million dollars) to get new content into MOUL(a)? {RANT}

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

DaVinci wrote:
OK, Jamie, I shall :)
Griefers / griefing seems like what started this umm mess.
My idea, short and sweet, is charge of a 1 time fee for new account creation. I know this may not be popular, but... say $40 one time fee along with a viable phone number (which most credit/debit cards have).
Griefers/trouble makers I don't think would spend $480 just to mess with people unless they are full with money. This solves the need for some one to have to go purchase a cell/mobi just to get a PIN and Facebook if it is currently involved.
I don't know if Cyan can or has the capability to set up something of this nature.
If some one gets themselves banned they have to create a new account or receive clemency, correct?
So what does the community and Cyan think of this idea?

Considering there are other games out there where people grief until they get banned, then buy same said game on another account just to do the same thing over and over again, paying a fee doesn't seem like much of a deterrent. Plus $40 for MOUL in 2017 seems rather steep given there are other games out that offer more even at lower prices...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

DaVinci wrote:
I am just curios,how many new accounts have been implemented since the accounts creation has been reactivated??

As of right now, there are 1094 accounts that are linked to a cell phone number. That’s over roughly 2 months. So, I would call that “mildly successful” which is pretty close to what was expected.

I agree with all the comments made about charging a fee. It’s just not a simple affair.
We are still considering other solutions.

Thanks,
Chogon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:58 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Chogon wrote:
...1094 accounts that are linked to a cell phone number. That’s over roughly 2 months. So, I would call that “mildly successful”...

I'd call that mildly awesome! ;)

So a question might be how well has it achieved its intended deterrent purpose?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:35 am 

Thank you all for the comments, and the information why it would be almost impossible to implement something like I suggested. It was just an idea, talking about going down in flames :lol: ( was that a 50.cal used ) :lol:mao
Chogon.. thanks for the info, and I would consider that like JW said "MILDY AWESOME".

KI 00142411

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:02 pm 

Chogon wrote:
So, I would call that “mildly successful”

Well done! Also, pun intended?