It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Damage control update: macOS 10.13 ‘High Sierra’ reportedly broke most wrappers (see post 1, post 2). In short, Cider seems to have troubles updating UruLauncher.exe; Wineskin requires to disable Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D (right-click or ctrl-click on the wrapper, select Show Package Content, launch Wineskin, click on Advanced, then Screen Options –> Other Options), but the wrapper might crash before you can set the option.

TL;DR version: In my opinion, the best options are currently the Cider (including MacPorts) or the Wineskin wrappers (both direct links); those can be launched as they are, as they already have all you need, except 1.2 GB of data files that will be downloaded once you launch them. To install other shards, see my other tutorial. With Wineskin, please avoid using the audiochat, your voice will come out annoyingly distorted on other people’s clients.

There’s a wealth of informations on how to run MOULa on Macs on these forums, but it’s a bit scattered, so I thought to consolidate it in a single tutorial; while I’m at it, I’ve included some instructions for Linux. I probably missed something, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know so I can update this post. You’ll notice I deliberately omitted Crossover: I think Mac explorers shouldn’t be penalized and pay for a commercial third-party Wine layer, when there are free alternatives. Rather, donate to the game itself :wink:

Installation on Mac OS X

First Method: Wine
You’ll need Wine (the software, not the beverage) (I like WineBottler). Launching the Wine application will create a Wine folder in your Home folder (this is the prefix, the “virtual drive”). Now you can launch the MOULa installer as if it were a Mac application and let it do its job; the Program folder (where Uru Live will be installed) is in the c_drive folder inside the prefix.

Some shards might not work with this method. Audio can be broken (see the Third Method).

Second Method: Cider
The following procedure is now unnecessary, as Ainia has kindly prepared a ready-made version of the Cider wrapper; alternatively you can use mine. I’ll leave this here for completeness’ sake and for those who still would like to try it out.

1. If you don’t already have it, you’ll need GameTap’s Cider wrapper (if in the past you made a backup copy of MOUL, use that and you’ll be spared a few hours of download) and the new version of UruLauncher.exe (use the 1.893 one);
  2. Once you copied it somewhere, right-click (or ctrl-click) on the Cider wrapper and substitute Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/UruLauncher.exe with the new one;
  3. When you launch the wrapper, it’ll start updating files; it’s advisable to do this at nighttime, as it’ll download 2–3 GB of stuff and it can take a few hours. Once it’s done, you’ll be ready!
  4. To update the server status update, which otherwise won’t show anything, again inside the Cider wrapper you’ll have to look for the Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live Login.app/Contents/Info.plist
    and Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live Updater.app/Contents/Info.plist files and substitute “http://support.mystonline.com/serverstatus/urulivelive.php” with “http://support.cyanworlds.com/serverstatus/moullive.php”. (This could reset if you delete the TOC.txt file)

Basically only the Minkata shard can be installed with this method.

Third Method: Wineskin
You can get a premade wrapper from AllThingsUru, from my archive or from PaulTheTall (as a CrossOver CrossTie). These wrappers already have the needed libraries installed, so if you get one of them, start from point 6 but click on Install Software, then Choose Setup Executable, pointing to the MOULa installer location. If you use mine, then you can just launch it, you won’t need any installer. Avoid using the audiochat, your voice will come out annoyingly distorted on other people’s clients.
The following instructions might be a bit outdated in post-10.7 MacOS, e.g. Wineskin 2.6.2 should work fine, so in point 4 you can just install it from Wineskin Winery.

1. You’re going to need PhysX, the legacy component and obviously the MOULa installer;
  2. Download Wineskin and install it (you just copy Wineskin Winery e.g. in the Applications folder);
  3. The most recent engines and wrappers don’t work as well with MOULa, so I’ll explain how to get the ones I use ( WS9Wine 1.5.21 + Wineskin 2.6.0 );
  4. From the packages page get /Wineskin Engines/Master Wrapper Installers/Wineskin-2.6.0.app-Installer.app.zip and Wineskin Engines/WS9 (Wine 1.5.x)/WS9Wine1.5.21-Installer.app.zip and install them;
  5. From Wineskin Winery click Create New Blank Wrapper, name it (e.g. “Uru Live”) and let the program work; eventually you should have, in <your home folder>/Applications/Wineskin, a wrapper of ~300 MB (tip: backup it, you could use it for other Windows programs);
  6. Right-click and select Show Package Content, open drive_c/Program Files and drop in the PhysX installer, the legacy component and the MOULa installer itself. If you’re using a premade wrapper, just copy the MOULa installer, click on Install Software, then Choose Setup Executable, point it to the installer location inside the wrapper and continue, skipping to point 9;
  7. Get back, open Wineskin, click on Advanced, then Browse, select Program Files/PhysX-9.13.0604-SystemSoftware.msi and click on Choose, then on Done and close the window (I’ll refer to this operation as “pointing the wrapper to” in the following); you should now be able to launch the wrapper as a normal program;
  8. Install PhysX, then repeat the procedure from point 7 for the legacy component and the MOULa installer (this one will take a while);
  9. You should now have a Uru Live folder (you can now delete the installers). Copy the msvcp110.dll, msvcr110.dll, msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll DLLs either in the drive_c/windows/system32 folder or directly in the Uru Live folder (unless they’re already there, of course).
  10. Point the wrapper to UruLauncher.exe, close and launch it. Same advice as before: do this operation at nighttime, as it’ll download 2–3 GB of stuff.
  11. A few cosmetic tips: from the Wrapper, type e.g. “Uru Live” in the Menubar Name field and “1.918” in Version (as a reminder of the current version); from Set Screen Option uncheck Decorate windows (as sometimes this option hides alert boxes) and/or drag to the far right the Extra Gamma Correction cursor to brighten up the environments.

To install a shard, you’ll have to duplicate the wrapper and follow the shard’s instructions, e.g. in Gehn’s case, you should copy the installer in Program Files, point the wrapper to the installer, let it work and point the wrapper again to the UruLauncher.exe in the Gehn shard folder.

Any shard can be installed with this method. Also, if you have an unsupported graphic card, it might be that with the Cider wrapper you won’t see the avatar, while with the Wineskin one you could.
On the other hand, audio can be broken, even badly, and trying to use the audiochat produces horrible noises.

Fourth Method: MacPorts
If you installed MacPorts, open the Terminal as admin and type the command “sudo port install mystonline-cider” or “sudo port install mystonline-wine”. If you don’t know what that means... then maybe this method isn’t for you ;) (though you might want to give it a try)

With this method, possibly only Minkata can be installed (see the 2nd method) if you use the cider version, which is the Cider wrapper with the data files moved in /opt/local/share/mystonline/data/, which are shared with the wine version.

Fifth Method: PlayOnMac
PlayOnMac is free software that allows you to easily install and use numerous games and software designed to work on Microsoft® Windows®.” It’s a bit like Wineskin, but it guides you throughout the installation process. Works for MOULa and possibly for shards, too.

I prepared a few scripts that should automate the installation process; they should work, but consider them beta.

If you have no audio, in some cases this fixes the problem: under Configure > General > Wine version, click the + button. From the left list, select the 1.5.21 engine and let it install. Then select it in the Wine version list.

Installation on Linux (to be improved)

The easiest method is probably using PlayOnLinux. I prepared a few scripts that should automate the installation process; they should work, but consider them beta.

If you still prefer to try to do things manually:
From your favourite package manager you’ll have to install Wine, then you’ll install Uru Live and shards like in Windows. You’ll probably need to install PhysX and the legacy component by hand (do these installers work on Linux?). You might also need to install the Visual C++ DLLs manually or through Winetricks. Also, on the first run the resolution change might hide most of the screen; you can reset the resolution usually by pressing F8 or F7 (the one with the screen), then setting it in-game.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Edits and Sources
Sources:
viewtopic.php?p=361974#p361974
viewtopic.php?p=315072#p315072
http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtop ... 117&t=5631
viewtopic.php?p=393113#p393113

1. added the Wine Method.
  2. removed the outdated Sound Decompressor link.
  3. added Shards with Wineskin link.
  4. specified the Wineskin versions I use.
  5. added link to the Cider Automator script.
  6. updated the Wineskin method with Ainia’s wrapper.
  7. the First Method might not work with shards; Linux install notes.
  8. added a note about Crossover.
  9. some changes to the MacPorts method.
  10. removed mentions of the Cider prps bug, no longer relevant.
  11. added link to PlayOnLinux.
  12. added link to PlayOnMac.
  13. updated Wineskin wrapper to version 2.6.2. Some minor rewording.
  14. added a possible fix for the lack of audio with PlayOnMac.
  15. made a few scripts for PlayOnMac/Linux. Removed the Porting Team wrapper dead link.
  16. edited the Wineskin and Cider instructions a bit.
  17. added note about macOS High Sierra incompatibility.
  18. updated wrappers links.
  19. updated Cider, again.

KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies

Last edited by korovev on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 55 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:55 am 

Funny on my machine I installed MOULa on Windows and then ran the executable through Wine on Linux, the executable installed Phisx for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, for MOULa and most of the shards it works right off the bat. But for a long while I couldn’t make TOC work, it stuck in an install/uninstall loop (somehow the wrapper couldn’t do the switch). I eventually managed by pointing the wrapper to the PhysX installers themselves, so I’ve added that bit to make an all-around wrapper.
The wrappers in my archive already have the right PhysX, it’s no longer the latest version but should work.

Also, I intended this to be an all-MacOS guide. Of course, an alternative (and perhaps simpler) way is to do all the installations on the Windows side and copy the Uru Live folder into the wrapper. This might also iron out some issues with sounds, though I wouldn’t swear on it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:14 am 

It is worth noting that the MacPorts method doesn't work on newer versions of OS X for whatever reason, some part of the main installation (not the dependencies) refuses to work, but I don't remember off the top of my head what exactly that was.

By the way, if you have a running Wine installation you can just install Uru Live in there. For me it seems to work perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:44 am 
Obduction Backer

1. Good to know, I can’t upgrade further than 10.7 and stayed with 10.6 for backward compatibility. EDIT: it’s quite likely that the Cider version suffers from the same problem of the regular Cider wrapper (with the added issue of having the data files in a share folder somewhere in the opt folder).
  2. Right, I’ll add it as a 4th method (or even better, move the Macports one to 4th and put this as 1st); it’s also more straightforward and uses a bit less disk space as you only install the libraries once.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

1. Only the legacy PhysX installer is needed.
2. Support for the cider wrapper has been removed from H-uru clients, such as Gehn and TOC (it has nothing to do with libraries).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

1. Is it possible to use the legacy installer before the MOULa one? The wrapper initially only includes Mono, so I wrote the instructions this way to set it up in one go, but if they’re independent, that would be even better.
  2. Does this concern Minkata, too? Come to think of it, I referenced that thread, but couldn’t actually make it work with the Cider wrapper. Also, have you (I mean, you who work at the H-uru clients) had a chance to test the updated clients with the Wineskin wrapper?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Assuming I understand the question correctly, installing the legacy PhysX system software before MOULa should be fine. I don't have a mac, so I can't test this however. Minkata and all shards that use the legacy OpenURU codebase (MOULa) should still work with the Cider wrapper. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do to test anything (such as wineskin) because I do not own a Mac. I'll point Deledrius over here and see if he's tried anything recently.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
Does this concern Minkata, too? Come to think of it, I referenced that thread, but couldn’t actually make it work with the Cider wrapper.

Minkata works for me with the Cider wrapper (on 10.5.8 and 10.6.8). Be sure to use MOULa 918 files even though the client version says 912.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

The procedure I’ve wrote for the Wineskin method is a synthesis of a couple of trials I did about a year ago. I ended up preferring to install both PhysX and its legacy part before MOULa itself (mostly because that’s how I got TOC working), though now it’s likely redundant.

I just realized I haven’t tried yet the new Gehn Installer without a preexisting MOULa folder. I’ll test it tonight with a brand-new wrapper. It could be an alternative and possibly quicker way to prepare a wrapper for other shards!

Christian Walther wrote:
Minkata works for me with the Cider wrapper (on 10.5.8 and 10.6.8). Be sure to use MOULa 918 files even though the client version says 912.

Ah, yes, embarrassing mistake from my part (I forgot to copy over the folder content). It’s working now!

I took two screenshots to show how the wrappers handle an unsupported graphic card (GMA 950). The avatar in the Cider one completely disappears after a few links.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:10 am 
Obduction Backer

The Gehn installer worked flawlessly! Simply swapping UruLauncher.exe with the MOULa one converts the install. I’ve used the 2.5.8 wrapper and the WS9Wine1.5.21 engine.
The wrapper prepared this way works with the (offline) Uru CC, too, but I can’t think of a simple way of installing it from scratch. The easiest way would be installing it under Bootcamp, then moving the folder inside the wrapper (removing the Uru Live one) and pointing the wrapper to UruSetup.exe.

vcredist_x86.exe crashes, however: I could only make The Open Cave work by copying msvcp110.dll and msvcr110.dll from my working TOC wrapper (which I made when it was a manual install).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Handy dandy update for Mac folks here...

I stayed up long past my bedtime last night getting things sorted out with our recent vault wipe and rebuild. Bottom line for me is that my Cider wrapper no longer works (kept going to a stack dump during login no matter what I tried). So I've permanently moved on to a Wineskin for MOULa. Here are the details on that:

• I found that my "old" H'uru CWE client worked fine without any fiddling at all. :)
  • I found that a fresh Wineskin (engine 1.5.21) worked fine so long as I added the *110.dll and *120.dll files beforehand.

So we now have a brand spankin' new dmg file for folks that are interested in giving it a spin. Please post or PM me feedback so I know how well it works outside my own system setup.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

For the record, Cider still works for me – and I see no obvious reason why it shouldn’t, as none of the files have changed since MOULa, so your case is a bit mysterious to me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Updated!

I tried Cider a moment ago, it crashed once but let me in the next time. However I can’t tell if it’s actually stable, so I’d leave it as ‘not working’ for now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
For the record, Cider still works for me – and I see no obvious reason why it shouldn’t, as none of the files have changed since MOULa, so your case is a bit mysterious to me.

Yeah, I agree in theory here Christian, which is why I kept hammering on my Cider wrapper for so long (and got to bed so late). I have no real theory about this other than we already know Cider breaks over the two fan prp files while the native and Wineskin installs are fine with them.

Cider histrionics? Phase of the moon? My name begins with "A"? :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next