It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Uru live proposal
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I found on facebook a uru live proposal if anyone like to read it here a link https://www.facebook.com/groups/mystonl ... 666719766/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:47 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I'm not going to join yet another FB group just to make a cautionary note...

That project would probably need to be very careful about infringing Cyan's rights. Having been involved in another discussion with Cyan about alternative game engines a few years ago it turns out they were quite adamant at that time about not allowing any of the Uru ages to be ported to another engine. Of course, that has no bearing on completely new works that use no Cyan assets. If Cyan assets are used, then the relevant FCALs would need to be checked to see if they permit that kind of use.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:53 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

The issue should at least be addressed in the posts to indicate an awareness and strategy. I found no mention.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

No, we're not planning to use Cyan assets and so far we're not even considering having any of the Uru Ages in this game (although that might change). As for the engine, this has been discussed with several members of the Uru community in that we feel it's time to abandon Plasma. The tools are just too old to reasonably revive Uru in any shape or form, or at least in the way we'd like it or it deserves to be.

However, this is something Cyan will decide.

I'll also link you to another project doing the same thing: SANDGAME albeit in Unity. Ideally we'd hope to collaborate with Alahmnat since it seems he's built quite a bit of the tunnels and Cavern already.

Anywhoo, this started as a way to allow myself to release my Unreal content incrementally rather than work on a huge single-player project like Black Moiety. I've had some conversations on GoW about a fan shard for Unreal Ages and discussions led from there to the idea of rebooting an Uru-like Myst game using Unreal, taking a lot of influence from people like Alahmnat, Tweek and Chloe Rhodes' ideas and analysis on Uru and where it succeeded and failed.

We conducted a survey which we'll use to create our game design documents. We got well over 150 responses on the survey so there's a huge interest in the project, much more than Black Moiety. It also helps that we're using Discord which allows for open discussion about game design concepts, art direction, story and music. We have quite a number of Myst and Uru fans hanging out with us there, some people from UO I haven't seen in over a decade, so there is definitely a sense of desire and will to make something happen that is new in the Myst saga.

Whether it takes place in the Cavern or not is ultimately up to Cyan. We have several other story possibilities, some Myst/D'ni related and others completely original. Ideally doing something in the Myst universe has the benefit of an existing rabid fanbase which helps a lot in terms of interest and potential help.

Anywhoo, we're drafting up our documents right now. We'll have news soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:18 pm 

I think assets would include any intellectual property of Cyan's. So not just images or sound effects. I mention this cause your project is called "Live Beyond Myst". With "Myst" being either trademarked or copywriten by Cyan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:35 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Yali wrote:
No, we're not planning to use Cyan assets...
The reason I thought otherwise are paragraphs like this:
Quote:
The city would be a modified, expanded, revised, improved version of the one in Uru using the existing mesh of Ae'Gura as a base which we could expand, modify, improve visual detail/polycount, texture work, etc.
There are recreations of Cyan works in Second Life, for example, which appear to get by without asking or receiving permission from Cyan. But this project sounds far more realistic and is something of its own - not a small tribute in a much larger and diverse venue. It does explicitly say "existing mesh," and that the setting is "D'ni," but even if you completely reverse engineer all your own assets, you still need to consider Cyan in all this, first, to make sure your efforts will be unchallenged and fruitful. It could help expand cooperation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
That project would probably need to be very careful about infringing Cyan's rights. Having been involved in another discussion with Cyan about alternative game engines a few years ago it turns out they were quite adamant at that time about not allowing any of the Uru ages to be ported to another engine. Of course, that has no bearing on completely new works that use no Cyan assets. If Cyan assets are used, then the relevant FCALs would need to be checked to see if they permit that kind of use.

I would like to point out of couple of things first.

First of all, this can be thought of alternative universe away from the myst franchise without infringing on Cyan copyright. This makes it easier to create stories based on theories and observations.

The second thing Cyan themselves in the 2015 or 2016 Mysterium have admitted that their own engine is old.

In this post yali made about dni unreal tells us something as well about what cyan is thinking of here a link viewtopic.php?f=41&t=28089&start=15

The final post is from the openuru that was talking about what client to use here a link http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php ... adeb#p8987

Plus a lot of fans are interested in the project

Tell me your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just because Cyan has said their engine is old does not equate to being able to port their stuff over.

Secondly Cyan aren't making an Unreal version of Uru, I have asked.

Regardless you're building D'ni related stuff in Unreal with D'ni and Myst being used in the project name. You will need to submit an FCAL to Cyan to make sure you're ok to proceed.

On a secondary note (I've been tinkering with making Uru Ages/areas in Unreal just as a pet project not for any kind of release) I'd not use the Ae'gura mesh as a base at it isn't the right scale and areas don't fit in correctly. Plus if you're building in Unreal it's better to build meshes that actually look good in the engine. Uru's meshes are suitable for the engine of the time but when compared to what was built for Obduction they pale in comparison.

That's not to put the project down mind you. If you want to build it go ahead. It's ambitious for sure but you'll need the man power to get it moving (like Starry Expanses Riven project).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Tweek. Yes, we're currently putting together a proposal based on the survey results we got. If Cyan says no it's not the end of the world since we have other setting/story ideas as well, some tied to the D'niverse and some not (Darka and Mirrors respectively).

This project was begotten out of my own desire for a fan Uru Unreal shard and also seeing the effort Alahmnat was putting into SANDGAME and yourself and Chloe into DIRT and Intangibles made me think Uru needed a fresh start/reboot on a modern engine where everyone could collaborate and have the ability to produce content.

As for porting Ae'Gura, that was more in terms of using it as a reference to build on. I think we've since decided to abandon that idea like you suggested Tweek. Would probably be better to build an entirely new version.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:27 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

What Tweek said.

zeke3651 wrote:
First of all, this can be thought of alternative universe away from the myst franchise without infringing on Cyan copyright. This makes it easier to create stories based on theories and observations.
Fine, if you're creating an entirely new game that doesn't reference Myst or any of its characters or locations, then all that is true and you don't have a problem, else what Tweek said about FCALs. Tinkering around with things for your own amusement is one thing, proposing to distribute to others exposes you to both Cyan and Ubisoft.

zeke3651 wrote:
In this post yali made about dni unreal tells us something as well about what cyan is thinking of here a link viewtopic.php?f=41&t=28089&start=15
No, it tells nothing about what Cyan was thinking, it's simply what others thought/hoped Cyan might be thinking.

zeke3651 wrote:
The final post is from the openuru that was talking about what client to use here a link http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php ... adeb#p8987
That thread has absolutely no relevance to this subject as it was simply proposing to use a different branch of code for the client - it is still the Plasma engine.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.