It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Expert Opinion Wanted
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:00 pm 

I have not been much of a gamer in the past, but after some good experiences with computer games (especially Myst and Uru) I have decided to pursue this hobby a little more. But when I go online and try to find another game to start, I am overwhelmed by the number available. There are hundreds to download for free or very cheap, and I can't decide on anything.

I figure there are probably people on here who are more expert than me when it comes to computer games. I am looking for an adventure/exploration based RPG, something with an engaging plot and preferably not too complex of an interface. I love sci-fi adventures, but I can branch out. I prefer something not too violent. I don't mind some shooting, but I don't want something that is all shooting where I die every 5 minutes.

What do you suggest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Vendetta Online. I tried it and it is rather entertaining. The universes in themselves aren't really interesting, but flying around in spaceships across the cosmos, travelling through wormholes to reach different space stations. The economy is interesting. There are numerous types of vessels, each with their own advantages. There's quite a bit of a learning curve, but it's pretty fun. The plot is secondary though, and seems to center on a war between three different factions.
Otherwise, RuneScape is a lot of fun. It's really well written, there's quite a bit of free content, the quests are interesting (some don't have ANY combat in them), and combat is almost entirely optional. Well kinda. You won't get far if you don't battle a few enemies, but you can chop wood, mine, craft, summon animals to help you, create runes, or use magic (not all spells are combat-based). It is definitely my favorite MMORPG. http://www.runescape.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

the game you are looking for is Mass Effect. for a science fiction RPG experience it comes highly recommended. I play it on the 360 and it is one of my top games for that system. it has a highly original, fully realized science fiction universe, compelling characters and a superb story. there is shooting involved. the game uses a third person over the shoulder perspective for aiming and shooting with a variety of weapons. but shooting is not the focus of the game. you will explore the galaxy on your own ship, follow missions, talk to characters and earn experience to improve your group. the game uses a highly innovated system for conversing with characters that is entertaining and intuitive. the player character is Commander Shepard and no two Shepard's are alike. Shepard can be man or woman and players may play Shepard as a paragon or a renegade. the game feels like true roleplaying as you experience a highly interactive story. the game is good period but if you're looking for a good science fiction rpg experience, then look no further than Mass Effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Not an RPG, but if you really are somewhat "inexperienced" with computer games, you should try Portal.

I would recommend The Witcher (and The Witcher 2) as an RPG but they can get fairly complex. There is a good deal of fighting and mature situations as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:56 am 
Obduction Backer

First off RPG's on PC, for the most part, are online MMO's these days. There are titles like Mass Effect, Bioshock, and The Witcher that are not, but, most PC RPG's are online. Online games I would suggest are Lord of the Rings Online (FREE!) and Team Fortress 2 (Not an RPG but also FREE!). I've never played WOW but it is playable without a subscription up to level 20. But really, if you're going to be a PC gamer branching out from Myst you really have to play both Portal games. They rival even the best PC games and Portal 2 is defiantly in the running for best PC game of all time. (Next to Myst of course. :wink: ) Also, you may try out some RTS games like Civilization, Starcraft, and Command and Conquer. So my opinion is check out some of the F-To-P online MMORPG's, try some RTS games, and definantly buy and play the Portal games. (On a side note, I have not played Half-life 2 but, before Portal 2 was released Half-life 2 was widely considered the best PC game ever made. You might check it out too.)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:31 am 

I suppose it depends on what one considers an expert...

According to Game Theory Online these are the top 10 social games. One can debate about what they mean by social. The list is a collection RPG, RTS, FPS, and simulation...

10 Best Free Online Games

Since they are free, try them. You can continue or abandon as you wish.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Natales,
Your link links to a reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:15 pm 

I agree with everyone who recommends Portal and Portal 2. Simply 100% brilliance.

Or, if you want to go retro, and I mean very retro, try The Secret of Monkey Island and especially Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, maybe the best game I've ever played. Day of the Tentacle is also very cool.

Machinarium is very short but worth playing, with fairly unique storytelling.

None of these are RPG though.

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Monkey Island 2 games crash a lot for me, so I wouldn't recommend them. It's too bad that the part I could play was actually fairly interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:22 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

gnorke wrote:
Natales,
Your link links to a reply.
I think this is the link that Nalates intended to post:
http://gametheoryonline.com/2011/07/13/ ... k-reviews/

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:12 am 

Thanks for the suggestions. I have purchased Portal from Steam, and am in the process of downloading it. I'll check out a few of your other suggestions in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Looking at your specific criteria, I found a few resources to help narrow down the field. :)

Best Sci-Fi games: http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/best-sci-fi-games.php
Best RPGs: http://hubpages.com/hub/top-25-best-rpg-pc-games-ever

Some of the games on these "best" lists are very old. But some are fairly recent. I'd recommend fairly recent titles that appear on both of the above lists.

Titles that seem like a good match for your tastes:

Mass Effect (1+2)
Fallout (2+3)
Deus Ex (1+2)
System Shock (1+2)
Knights of the Old Republic (Star Wars)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy among these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Knights of the Old Republic is a great suggestion. Made by the same developer who made Mass Effect. They do Star Wars great justice. Unfortunately I encountered a point where the game stopped working; a problem I've encountered with ALL of Bioware's PC releases.

Deus Ex is an aging game but there is a new highly anticipated entry in the series pending. I'd suggest holding out for that. Deus Ex is considered System Shock's spiritual successor. A good game but also dated.

Half Life is made by the same developer who makes the Portal games. Also a highly regarded series. Half Life 2 is the more modern game. the first is showing its age. HL2 also has episodic expansions.

Fallout 1 & 2 are both great games but perhaps the most dated of the bunch. the second one had its critics. you will bored to tears at the outset. the games are glitchy, have a rather awkward interface, and tend to get bogged down in process.

Fallout 3 on the other hand is a massively popular game atm. New Vegas is another modern Fallout entry. The fallout games are Sci Fi but also post apocalyptic. creative use of nostalgic elements of the 1950s are prevalent throughout the series. be warned. the games touch on sophisticated themes but in a rather dark and morbidly sarcastic manner. they also tend to be quite violent, gorey and a bit lewed but there are settings to reduce the level of blood and similar content.

All the above games however have run and gun content to various degrees. Half Life for instance has a focus on story but it is considered an FPS. there is little roleplaying involved and no stats or statistics. Deus Ex and System Shock are both heavy on run and gun but a bit more involved in stats development and of course story particularly in the case of Deus Ex.

Fallout is the biggest on roleplaying and stat development elements but also involve run and gun combat. Portal is a unique form of shooter but it is still a straight up shooter but with puzzle elements. also a fantastic story with compelling characters and loaded with hilarious bits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:54 pm 

If you want a sublime adventure game you should try an oldie called Obsidian by Segasoft. It's a game designed for Windows 95, but will play in anything up to windows XP. It will play in win 7 64 bit under a virtual OS, but that' s a lot of trouble...but this game was consistantly voted better than Myst, and since I have played it, I agree. A good game if you can find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 am 

poutrew wrote:
this game was consistantly voted better than Myst, and since I have played it, I agree.
Quote:

Gasp! Better than Myst? Is that even possible? Surely you are mistaken, but I'm tempted nonetheless.

Quote:
Knights of the Old Republic is a great suggestion. Made by the same developer who made Mass Effect. They do Star Wars great justice

I tried the demo of Star Trek Online, and looked further into it, but from what I have seen, STO does not do Star Trek justice. Which was sad, because that is a theme I have been looking for. If Knights of the Old Republic does Star Wars justice, that may be close enough. I know they are two different franchises, but there are similarities.