It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:48 pm 

I go to the age that is a circular room with a machine that you put your hand in and nothing happens.. great introduction to a game!

Can;t go to ki screen or anything.. if they want to turn people off to the game, not being able to start playing with a friend is one of them! My wife is reeeeal excited to play after being put in a small circular room with one button to press!

Last edited by shadow9d9 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

You need to pick up your KI first, the circular room won't work until you have the KI. You may have missed the machine that gives you the KI and went straight to the linking book to the circular room (called the Nexus).

I wouldn't criticize the game just because you're having some difficulty with the first puzzle. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:53 pm 

The wall says to just go to the circular room ... nothign about getting a ki beforehand. It says you pick up your ki IN the age.. so you go to the age.. which is a small circular room with a machine that does nothing... This is a "puzzle"?

Last edited by shadow9d9 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:53 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Uru is all about exploration. You just happened to choose temporary dead end to start. :wink:

[spoiler]It sounds like you are in the Nexus. You cannot use the Nexus until you have your KI. Use your Relto book to return to your Relto. From there, go to your Hood and use the book on your left to link. You'll find your KI in there.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

shadow9d9 wrote:
The wall says to just go to the circular room ... nothign about getting a ki beforehand.

By "the wall" do you mean the classroom?

If so, then its not telling you to go to the Nexus, its actually pointing to one of the books BEHIND the Nexus book.

Hint:[spoiler]look for stained glass[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:58 pm 

I figured all the books were the same... an introduction should be more clear imo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:58 pm 

Also, you may find the video 'Uru Live 101' (or something like that), found within Gametap istself, to be helpful before embarking on your Journey. It contains various levels of spoilers, mostly mild ones, but that's what it's there for, to orientate new explorers, so perhaps take a look and listen.

Btw, Welcome to the Cavern! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:04 pm 

shorah, shadow!!

sounds like you/your wife missed going to gahreeson to pick up the ki from the dispenser!! you'll need that to be able to go through some areas as well as to communicate with other players easily.

you can still use the chat feature, even if you don't have the ki. just type in /neighbors hello, everyone (or whatever you want to say) and hit the enter key...and your message will go to everyone that is in your neighborhood. you can also send a message to one particular person - just type in /theirname and whatever your message is and then hit the enter key and the message will be sent to that person - just make sure you've got their name spelled exactly as they have it (caps and spaces count!)

what circular room do you mean? the one with the machine on the side with the little board that shows city locations? or the one where you link in and are in a big circular room that has nothing in it but some ivy growing on the walls?

the first is nexus, and you should be able to link to your neighborhood even if you don't have a ki.

the second is where you link-in to gahreeson - just follow the signs to go to the ki dispenser and put your hand in the little depression on the left side of it. it should put the ki on your left hand. if nothing happens when you do that, you'll need to contact tech support - either through the online ticket system http://support.urulive.com/index.php or by contacting in-game help. i'm not sure how to do that tho...maybe someone else can give instructions for how to do that without having a ki.

i've had problems getting the ki from the machine in other incarnations of the game (until uru). i've not heard of it being an issue recently tho. which doesn't mean it can't happen!!

i hope you get things straightened out!!! would love to meet up with you and your wife in the cavern!!

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:17 pm 

A great video that actually touches on this problem is here:

http://www.gametap.com/home/myst/conten ... ideo.html#

It will tell you why it isn't working and what you need to do.

Warning: It's spoilery.

EDIT: Link doesn't work...

Go to the Media section in the navigation of this site, then into videos, and there should be one called Uru Live 101. That's what I was trying to point to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:43 pm 

Then after that, you should go to Beginner's Bevin and take the ResEngs tour. They can answer most questions, and give a brief history of D'ni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

shadow9d9 wrote:
The wall says to just go to the circular room ... nothign about getting a ki beforehand. It says you pick up your ki IN the age.. so you go to the age.. which is a small circular room with a machine that does nothing... This is a "puzzle"?

Actually, I believe the Gahreesen book is circled in the diagram.

Quote:
I figured all the books were the same...

But did you actually look at each book before assuming that? Never assume anything in Uru...

Quote:
... an introduction should be more clear imo ...

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Cyan does their best to make that call... Keep in mind, games set in the Myst/Uru universe aren't "spelled out" for you. They leave many things for you to figure out on your own. Don't worry about missing things... Simply take your time to explore and take in the environments and anything that interests you.

So, arriving in the Nexus, you discover it doesn't work. Why doesn't it work? Perhaps I need to find something else to help me or make it work?

These are the kinds of questions you'll need to ask as you explore. The fun thing about exploring with another person is that you can put your heads together to solve some of the harder puzzles...

Happy exploring!

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:50 pm 

Absolutely terrible spoiler.

[spoiler]Each book (or should I say, most books) take you to different Ages or different parts of Ages. The book you took was to a tiny world we've never seen the outside of called Nexus. The pillar in your front yard, upon touching the hand, contains a book to Earth, an area in New Mexico simply known as the Cleft (your KI will call it D'ni Rilgatalmin). The book you wear on your hip, which is always accessable via moving your mouse down to the lower left hand corner and clicking the book is the Age called Relto, where you start. The book you start with on your shelf is a D'ni Neighbourhood (Bevin). The other books surrounding the Nexus book in Bevin are (from left to right facing the Nexus book) Gahreesehn(Garrison), Eder Delin, and D'ni Rezeero (The Great Zero)[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Since Shadow has moved the discussion over to THIS thread, I will close this one and direct new discussion over there.

Thanks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]