It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 am 
Obduction Backer

juri1at wrote:
New version uploaded, eliminate a bug for entering new portal-starttime.

Great, now the calculator looks much more clean. :wink:

... and if it's true, that we found pod #"18" in Negilahn and there might be at least 17 further pods ... most likely even pods in other ages ... we will use it for any future age-time calculations. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:33 am 

(Please disregard if anyone knows a tool or chart that's already out there ...)

The same basic interface could also be used to predict the Gira cycles if there were collective interest in gathering the data. Of course, pinning down an exact recurring event is not so easy compared to portal occurrences, but I guess sun/moon rise is potentially the clearest point of reference, depending on how discernible these might be.

Has anyone performed any scientific time lapse study of Gira's cycle? (As distinct from artistic)

The only other thing that occurred to me is that it would seem odd if both Negilahn and Gira did not have some kind of seasonal variance, in their day/night cycles, just as earth does. Maybe the solar and lunar orbits are aligned so that this does not occur?

(OOC ... I guess Cyan hasn't programmed a seasonal cycle in too? That would just make things much more complicated! Would be cool though from the POV of 'realism' ;))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:05 am 

C'ristan wrote:
(Please disregard if anyone knows a tool or chart that's already out there ...)

I know a tool but it's not out yet. :)
BrettM has given me some information about the day cycle in Gira yesterday. I've already implemented the library and I'm going to integrate it in the user interface today or tomorrow.

My tool will be ... soon (I hope).

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:48 am 

Just to let you know, I have created summary of the portal related information over at Negilahn Portal Summary - *MASSIVE SPOILERS* for quick and easy reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:09 pm 

I have updated the calculator.
Now it have ability for daylight saving.
Let me know, if you get the wrong timezone or daylight timezone.
New features:
- highlight and positioning the next portal event at 3rd entry of the list
- custom timezone or daylight saving timezone
- explicite calculation of portal, midday, midnight, dusk and dawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:11 am 

- bugfix for expert mode, now correct display at Firefox and Konqueror
- new version with possible animal sightings
- pffffffff javasript and daylight-saving isn't easy to get work correct :(
- bugfix for auto-daylightsaving

Post subject: hmmmm
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:13 am 

Well we used your calclator for the portal time and it was very close but....
the animal times aren't.

example: I had a recorder running from 3am till past 2pm the video is time linked.
Urwin first appeared at 10:05 am central usa time march 15
second appearance was 12:30 pm central time usa march 15
we are on daylights savings time
checked calculator several ways and still off please post or check.

here is the calculator we used

http://members.chello.at/andreas.jurenda/moul/negilahnportalcalculator.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:37 am 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
The animal viewings are not when the animals will appear. Its more a guideline as to when they CAN appear. It shows the times that animals have appeared to various people so we can better identify the timespans that animals freqent. IE if they're dinural, nocturnal, or only appear at certain times of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:46 am 

Has anyone taken a look at the rotating stained-glass installation in the Museum and tried correlating it to the times that the portals open?

It takes close to five and a half minutes to rotate through, has four balls connected diagonally, and is about the only thing I can think of that could loosely correlate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:25 am 

That is the solution to a puzzle in Kadish Tolesa. I think it is pretty unlikely that it has anything to do with the portal times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:10 am 
Obduction Backer

That isn't the museum. It's the Kadish Gallery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:41 am 
Obduction Backer

All of the above related to Gametap MOUL, and Andreas Jurenda's NegilahnPortalCalculator still serves us well today in MOULagain ref [spoiler]http://members.chello.at/andreas.jurenda/moul/negilahnportalcalculator.htm[/spoiler] , and I found myself revisiting old haunts and attempting to add or refine the old puzzles and solutions afresh. I didn't find a post of the following so thought it belongs here. For simplicity I'm focussing on Portal Times.

There is D'ni Time (Clock), Teledahn Time (?)(Barron's Office Chart), and Pod Time (Museum Chart): Times can indeed be related, but we are only interested in the Pod Time here for now. You need to know your D'ni Numbers (I use the ones printed all over the Bevin Classroom Floor), and Each Pod ID number, (go visit and look), to figure the Clues. Empirical evidence has already establishes the key information namely: Negilahn sky records (this thread) indicate a Pod day/night cycle [spoiler]of 15:43:04.83 hrs:mins:secs [/spoiler], of Earth Time, which appears to have served us well. And an examination of the Museum Chart shows the Pod day/night cycle to be [spoiler]13 Units[/spoiler] of Pod Time.

The following constitutes a rational approach with two slightly differing solutions for any single explorer's consideration, comment and/or correction. The fundemental assumption here is that Cyan would have selected practical rounded numbers to crunch. Dunno. Since some questions still remain, here is the conventional warning.

[spoiler]Further examination of the Museum Chart allows us to identify and locate each Pod on the Museum Chart's Time Zones. This now tells us the Pod order in which a common event will appear in each Pod, if we trust the artistic licence which indicates that a single sun moves from West to East (we can always confirm it later). And by taking a PrtScrn Screenshot and pasteing it into Word, say, and printing it, you can take a Millimeter scale and ratio the Pod Locations shown to get a better Pod Time Zone absolute location. From this you can roughly figure the relative Time delays between each Pod. Now we know the approximate Pod Time intervals and order, and we know the same intervals in Earth Hours [spoiler](ref above, 15:43:04.83 hrs:mins:secs/13 Pod Time Units = 1.209078 Earth Hrs/Pod Time Units)[/spoiler] we only need to know one Pod's actual Portal time and we can create our own short or long-term table of furure Portal Event Times. That one (easiest) Pod is Payiferen, if we have cought a glimpse of the Sun beams through the window there and guessed what they might do. Payiferen observation also shows that at High Noon the Sun is very slightly off center of the Pod, which indicates that the Sun actually moves across the Museum Pod Chart equator, not the arrowed lines shown below there.

Following this approach I came up with numbers which seemed to correllate pretty well, and with remarkably small percentage error after rounding out as follows

1) Least error rounding assumptions: Negilahn/Dereno/Payiferen/Tetsonot/Negilahn Intervals are 0 Units(Baseline)/1 Pod Time Unit/0.5 Earth Hours/3 Earth Hours/11 Earth Hours, respectively. If Cyan intended this solution it's extraordinarily cunning; because it allows us to calculate an Earth Hours of a day/night cycle independantly of any other observations just by adding up the numbers of mixed units with a variable constant, namely Y= (14.5 Earth Hours/(13-1) Pod Units) = 1.2083(3recurring) or 1:12:30 (exact) hrs:mins:secs per Pod Time Unit. Problem is, its smaller than the number Jurenda appears to use (1.209078) to sustain his long term record. Day/Night Cycle comes out to be 15:42:30 (exact) hrs:mins:secs. But this still might be OK....see below

2) The next best min error rounding assumptions: Negilahn/Dereno/Payiferen/Tetsonot/Negilahn Intervals are 0 Units(Baseline)/1 Pod Time Unit/0.5 Pod Time Units/2.5 Pod Time Units/9 Pod Time Units, respectively. This solution accepts any rate you want to use, but assumed one unusually large error in Dereno/Payiferen interval. It is a less likely solution IMHO.[/spoiler]

Problem is, that everybody experiences the Portal arrival across a wide tolerance, as the server selects a sequence of affected Avies and nobody can say when the server actually sends out the first Portal command. In short, theres a lot of noise in the process. Jurenda has to use numbers which keep calculating accurately or he has to automate his own Avie experience occasionally to measure Portal creep and reset it. If so, its possible that Solution 1) may be an advance; I can't tell, yet. But I thought I ought post it and see what others think....theres always other ideas...:)

(Edit) OH !! I forgot ! The intriguing thing about Pod Portal Times is that it should be possible to calculate those occasional times when a Portal arrival will coincide with a D'ni Clock time which correlates to that Pod's D'ni Number ID. I found one once, but never tried to run the numbers yet.. Such Grand Conjunctions ought to be advertized and treated with Great Celebration in MOUL, I respectfully submit. So the Challenge is herebye declared to all, the Vision is defined, and maybe Andreas Jurenda will compete for the solution too ?.... 8) ..........And I hope it will be posted here..:)

Hi All !!.....Myst'ya !.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:12 pm 

I'm a newbie to Myst Online: Uru Live so I'm having trouble using your Portal calculator. Can you explain what info I'm supposed to enter in the box that says "start at portal:"? I'd be very grateful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Tyra,

I find the Portal Calculator located HERE to be up to date, easy to understand, and graphical (i.e., not just text). It also tells you how long till the next portal, so you don't have to convert or figure for times zones, etc.

Just click one of the tabs at the top for the various PODS.

Have fun.

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:07 pm 

Thank you so much! 8D That really helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next