It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:45 pm 

Zardoz wrote:
Second, for a short time, sharing an Age actually resulted in shared ownership of that Age. For example, if you shared your Teledahn book with someone, both of you would then have equal access to the same instance of that Age. If you wished to withdraw from that arrangement, you could delete your book (in your Relto) and get a new one, but all progress in the Age would be lost.

Now that sounds interesting. It could easily become a real pain from a technical standpoint, and probably just crushes some ICness, but it would make certain things easier (crashing out of a party and trying to link back).

The idea of public copies of Ages also has merits, as then major events could take place outside of the cavern, but if you and a few friends wanted to do something in Kadish, say, you could just share the link.

Before I came down in UU, I thought that all Ages were public, and then whatever was done was done- this wouldn't quite work, but I didn't know otherwise. When I found out, I was a little sad that you had to go through all this stuff to get others into an Age- I wanted to randomly come across someone I hadn't met in Teledahn and explore together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:49 pm 

Hehe.. thats exactly what I thought Live was like.. :D
Hopefully there will be an easier way in the new Live..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I understand things correctly, many of the puzzles in Ages Beyond Myst were intended to be multi-player puzzles, not timing puzzles. For example, you'd have to go find someone to help you turn on the power in Gahreesen, or get someoneelse to throw the lever to the buckets in Teledahn.

This all had to be scrapped in favor of a single-player adventure...

I'd like to see SOME puzzles in Uru that actually do require more than one person to work together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
That could be fun! sat chilling on the Great stairs with a Bahro entertaining us
with a comical display of skill

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Bahro are already chilling on the Great Stairs while laughing at the comical antics of the explorers :lol:

And I still want to explore Gahreesen from the outside of the buildings and swim in the river and find that scary Yeti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think one of the purposes of the Library in Ae'gura might have been to provide a public instance to some of those Ages.
And I'm very curious about the multi-user puzzles too. I know some people hate them, but there's not much point in an online game if you're going to be a hermit. What I'd like, though, is that I didn't have to solve the same Age twice (or more, depending on the number of people required for the puzzle).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:05 am 

Reverend Vader wrote:
If I understand things correctly, many of the puzzles in Ages Beyond Myst were intended to be multi-player puzzles, not timing puzzles. For example, you'd have to go find someone to help you turn on the power in Gahreesen, or get someoneelse to throw the lever to the buckets in Teledahn.

This all had to be scrapped in favor of a single-player adventure...

I'd like to see SOME puzzles in Uru that actually do require more than one person to work together.

Well, this idea to me makes the most sense.

Is it actually possible to, or was it possible to, do some of the power / bucket bits with multi player assistance in Until Uru?

I do know that it is possible to assist with some things in the first Eder age (sp?), as I myself did give the odd hint or two while actually in the personal age of a friend during the Prologue.

Greeters Guild Greeter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:20 am 
Puzzles that you have to be more than one person to solve? I'd be laughing...I've been more than one person for years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:54 am 

All these ideas sound right...maybe it means more than one thing?

More open community areas like the cavern...and multi person puzzles in those areas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 am 

I've always thought there should have been "public" versions of all the ages, say, on pedestals in the Library as someone mentioned earlier. And perhaps this will be the way we get new new ages in Uru Live 2 (I'm officially coining the phrase "UL2" to refer to the upcoming game :wink: ), by checking in the Library or the Museum for new books. Linking from that book takes us to the public version of that age, but puts our own private book on our Relto shelves. If we link from our private book, it's always our own age and if we link from the Library version it's always public. This is the way i always thought it should work, including for the hood books, as someone mentioned earlier.

But having said that, I would think those ages would be called "Public". "Multi-user" suggests to me ages with more that one owner like Alahmnat mentioned earlier. This would be cool too, but I prefer the public idea. Imagine the party when a new age is released and EVERYONE is in the public version seeing it for the first time together (with no lag, of course)! I can't imagine it getting any better than that! :lol: :D :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:04 am 
Obduction Backer

What subumbra said! :D

Morningstar - KI#1053460
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:45 am 

Tallonenx wrote:
All these ideas sound right...maybe it means more than one thing?

Yeah! Group swim in Ahnonay! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Erandel wrote:
Well, this idea to me makes the most sense.

Is it actually possible to, or was it possible to, do some of the power / bucket bits with multi player assistance in Until Uru?

Yes, it is!

Until Uru can be buggy with more than one person in an Age -- but, for the most part, it's been very common for folks to scout the cavern looking for help to finish their ages.

It's simply easier with more than one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:04 am 
Obduction Backer

I think public ages with no puzzles (just places to hang out, explore and enjoy the scenery) are a good idea, but I also think it should be possible to have public ages incorporating multi-user puzzles.

The main problem of such puzzles in public ages is that they have to be infinitely replayable but not a hindrance to those who've already done them or who just don't like multi-use puzzles.

One way of getting around this would be to have ages like Kadish, in which the age is separated into discrete areas, each of which requires some puzzle to be solved to get into it, and moving between areas resets the puzzle.

For example, take the first area in Kadish, where solving the puzzle opens the door: to continue on requires rotating the newly opened room you are in and thus blocking the way back. Or imagine an area that has three plates on the floor, all of which must be stood upon simultaneously to open a door, allowing a fourth person to go through.

In each area there would be a Nexus terminal (like those in Aegura) which allows you to add that location in that age to your list of Nexus links. That means you can always bypass the puzzles you've already done.

The only problem with this theory is that you would need to do all the preceding puzzles to get into an area you haven't yet been to, as Nexus links cannot (as far as I know) be shared with other players. If they could, or if ages in one's Nexus list could also appear as linking books in one's Relto bookcase, then this might not be such a big problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:41 am 
Obduction Backer

I really like your point of view, Troubadour... except about this:
Troubadour wrote:
The only problem with this theory is that you would need to do all the preceding puzzles to get into an area you haven't yet been to

isn't this what Myst and Uru are all about? :wink:

Morningstar - KI#1053460
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:35 pm 

FreeLanZer wrote:
I would love to have a sqee running around in my Relto :D
So you have someone funny to come home to.. :)

I thought that's what my husband was for. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next