It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:54 am 

UPDATED February 16, 2010
Version 1.0.1 of YAPP is released!

I realize this is a bit late in the game, but new players are always going to need to get the Museum Age portals, plus I wanted to make my own application for this, so here you have Yet Another Portal Predictor. :)

[spoiler=Release Notes]July 23, 2007 (v1.0.1)
- The GUI now uses sizers rather than absolute positioning

July 20, 2007 (v1.0.0)
- YAPP is released, not much to say really :P[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Screenshots]Image[/spoiler]
Here are the main features/points of my program:
    * Allows you to select the pod you wish to get information on and displays the time of the most recent gate, and the next upcoming gate
    * You can also view the times for the N-th future gate
    * Displays a list of future times and allows you to export it to both plain text and HTML
    * Uses wxPython for a cross-platform GUI
    * All calculations for the gate appearances are done using your local timezone
    * All times are printed in your local timezone and DST (if it exists) is accounted for

I plan to continue to develop this, adding features and making improvements. If you encounter any bugs, please let me know. Also, feel free to post here or PM me with any feature requests, questions or even suggestions for potential future programs.

[spoiler=Download Latest Version (1.0.1)]For the adventurous technically inclined people, here is the Python source (requires wxPython and, on Windows, pywin32):
http://herohtar.com:1313/uru/YAPPSource.zip

And for those of you who don't wish to install Python, I have compiled the program using py2exe:
http://herohtar.com:1313/uru/YAPPCompiled.zip[/spoiler]

Last edited by Herohtar on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Herohtar

I have downloaded it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:30 pm 

So, how do I use this on my Mac?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:48 pm 

FratRat wrote:
So, how do I use this on my Mac?

Well, unless you can somehow run my Windows setup file, the best way would be to install the Mac version of Python and run it from the source file.

According to the Python website, Mac OS X already has Python installed, but it can be a fairly old version, so it might be best to download the latest installer, which can be found here. At the very least, you will need to install the wxPython runtime for Mac OS, which can be downloaded here.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Mac, so you're on your own as far as installing and configuring it, but it seems to be a fairly simple process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can try making a run at installing it next time I sit down at my Mac :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:21 pm 

I will await the outcome fm some Mac enthusiast before I commit myself. Thanks for the heads-up on the Installers /Python... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Since I just installed Python 2.4.4 and wxPython 2.8 for another project, I figured I'd give this a try. It's correct that it will not run with the Python 2.3 and wxPython 2.5 that come with Mac OS X 10.4 (it's missing module wx.lib.wordwrap).

Here's how it looks:
[spoiler=Click to reveal image.]Image[/spoiler]
As you can see there are some layout issues (that I haven't tried to fix yet). Otherwise, nice work!

Minor nit: it would be nice to have the times in a localized format (that 12 hour clock makes my head spin). Not sure if that's possible in wxPython 2.8 - last time I tried in wxPython 2.5, I didn't arrive at a satisfying solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:25 am 

Christian Walther wrote:
Since I just installed Python 2.4.4 and wxPython 2.8 for another project, I figured I'd give this a try. It's correct that it will not run with the Python 2.3 and wxPython 2.5 that come with Mac OS X 10.4 (it's missing module wx.lib.wordwrap).

Here's how it looks:
[spoiler=Click to reveal image.]Image[/spoiler]
As you can see there are some layout issues (that I haven't tried to fix yet). Otherwise, nice work!

Yikes! That's ugly. However, I think I might know the cause of that... I don't specify a size for the StaticText objects I'm using for the information. On Windows I think it auto-expands to fit the text, but the Mac version apparently has a default size that doesn't change on its own. That should be an easy fix.

It also appears that the controls are a bit closer together than on Windows... I'm not sure what is causing that. I haven't quite mastered the art of creating nice GUIs... but it probably doesn't help that I'm using absolute positioning for everything. I'll mess around with it and see what I can come up with. (Anyone want to help design the GUI properly? :wink:)

And what's going on there with the spin controls? They look broken...

Christian Walther wrote:
Minor nit: it would be nice to have the times in a localized format (that 12 hour clock makes my head spin). Not sure if that's possible in wxPython 2.8 - last time I tried in wxPython 2.5, I didn't arrive at a satisfying solution.

Actually, that is one of my planned features. I know everyone doesn't like the same date/time format that I do, so I am going to allow for a few pre-set options (12/24 hour, date format, etc) as well as full customization of the time formatting string. So, pretty soon you'll be able to make the time and date look like *anything* you want. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Herohtar wrote:
I don't specify a size for the StaticText objects I'm using for the information. On Windows I think it auto-expands to fit the text, but the Mac version apparently has a default size that doesn't change on its own.

Hmm... even if it does auto-expand on Windows (every time you set its text, I assume), I don't think that's what it's supposed to do. What I expect it to do when you specify wxDefaultSize is that it computes the size of the text you give to the constructor and uses that as its fixed size from then on. But I'm not sure, I've always used those controls in sizers.

Quote:
It probably doesn't help that I'm using absolute positioning for everything.

Ow. Don't do that if you're aiming for platform independence. That's what sizers are for.

Quote:
And what's going on there with the spin controls? They look broken...

If by broken you mean non-functional - no, they work. It's just that the spinner button is above the text field and obscures the number in it. It seems to do that when you give it an absolute size - when I change either dimension to -1, it corrects itself.

Quote:
So, pretty soon you'll be able to make the time and date look like *anything* you want. :)

Well, the proper solution would be to have the time and date look like I want them without me having to do anything. I.e. it should use the date format I set in System Preferences. But that's what I wasn't able to achieve last time I tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:18 pm 

Christian Walther wrote:
Hmm... even if it does auto-expand on Windows (every time you set its text, I assume), I don't think that's what it's supposed to do. What I expect it to do when you specify wxDefaultSize is that it computes the size of the text you give to the constructor and uses that as its fixed size from then on. But I'm not sure, I've always used those controls in sizers.

Who knows... Windows stuff does strange things.

Yeah, about those sizers...
Christian Walther wrote:
Ow. Don't do that if you're aiming for platform independence. That's what sizers are for.

...I've never been able to get them to work properly, or at least the way I want them to. This is the first program that I've ever created where I'm targeting more than one platform, so I've never really had to worry about it much before. But that's part of what I'm going to play around with... hopefully I can figure out how to make them work.

Christian Walther wrote:
If by broken you mean non-functional - no, they work. It's just that the spinner button is above the text field and obscures the number in it. It seems to do that when you give it an absolute size - when I change either dimension to -1, it corrects itself.

Hm, well that's interesting... any suggestions on what to do with that?

Christian Walther wrote:
Well, the proper solution would be to have the time and date look like I want them without me having to do anything. I.e. it should use the date format I set in System Preferences. But that's what I wasn't able to achieve last time I tried.

Yes, it would, and I am going to look into that, but I am pretty sure that it is not easy to do (and probably something I'd have to write platform-specific code for). However, being able to make it look like you want is second best. ;)

Edit: By the way, I'm fairly new to Python (as in, just a bit over a month) so if there's a better way of doing something that I've written, feel free to let me know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:43 pm 

I got it to work but got the same result as above with 2.5.1 and wxP 2.8 I can read it (just) but the appearance is flakey. Thank you for the effort...I will tinker. This may inspire me to learn Python. (I have barely figured out how to run a Mac)

Once again, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:45 pm 

cheers

Works a treat on my xp64

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:06 pm 

Nice work Herohtar!

I have use all the previous portal calculators and for me they were out by anywhere from 6 to 10 minutes. This is with my computer time corrected by world atomic clock program.

I haven't had a chance to try your program yet.

Just wondering if this is the norm, and if you've had any feed back to the portals appearing later than the program predicts?

Thanks, and again, nice work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Because everybody going for the portals at the same time crashed the servers, they are staggered now. You can wait for up to 10 minutes after the given portal time, depending on how many people are queued with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:15 pm 

Rusty is correct. No portal predictor can get the times exactly. I usually go to the Pods about 15 minutes ahead of time, but you might be able to get away with 10. If it seems the portals aren't showing up, try getting there earlier and staying a bit later.