It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Change
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:33 am 

This is for those of us who've been doing our own things with the Uru storyline since the demise of the past Live, in the form of fan art, stories, ages, et cetera.

Do you feel that the recurrence of Live, with changing storyline, will affect what you've been doing in a negative fashion? Obviously we may have taken the storyline a little farther, developed our own themes to a degree, in directions which will be negated by official storyline. While I'm sure we Uru fans will all welcome anything new, might there still be things that cause us to wince, as we realize that some loved project will have to be dramatically reworked, or abandoned?

Personally, I sense the possibility of this in what I've been up to, writing on the events of Uru Prime. While these events will still be true, as an author I wanted a sense of closure, of sorts, and the prospect of Live doesn't allow for that, at present at least. Not that I will lament too deeply, but I'm curious as to what the rest of you think, yourselves.

Shorah.

Andrew

eyeing over the Elements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:52 am 

In all honesty the idea I had was still in the thinking stages ;) and I've had it since late 2004. :roll: Mainly due to my own lack of 3d programing capability.
For me it takes me longer to get things done. I've had so many ideas it got very frustrating.
I have thought about asking cyan if they might listen to my idea of a age that was altered(not through the art, but physically by the Dn'i and see if they wanted to possible use the idea. I might even make a separate post on the idea. ;)

oops for me no it wouldnt bother me if I had to change something. It is after all thier story in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:35 am 

Most of my speculation about the bahro and stuff hasn't really been developed, precisely because I've been holding out for new content! (But that one theory about Kadish owning Eder Kemo and having the floating statue protect the Age from the rain really made sense to me.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nope, what I have been doing runs side by side with Uru just fine, now it gets linked back its no big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:14 pm 

Quote:
(But that one theory about Kadish owning Eder Kemo and having the floating statue protect the Age from the rain really made sense to me.)

Umm, two questions:

1. How is rain something you need to be protected from

2. If this is true, why is it still raining a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:24 pm 

Check out the highest point in Eder Kemo--where the floating statue is. Note that the blue line that runs around the walls is exactly at the level of where the arms on the statue would be. The theory I heard is that the statue powered some sort of shield that kept the rain off, but left water marks on the walls (this mechanism no longer works). Note also that symbols from Er'cana and Ahnonay are on the floors of the gazebos, and have been from the dawn of Uru, indicating that Eder Kemo was probably owned by Kadish at some point. He may have set up the statue, either to himself or to the Watcher.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unless he also owned Eder Delin the theory doesn't hold much, as there's a floaty statue there too. I guess that the symbol we see in the gazebos had some cultural/religious significance that Kadish hijacked, as he hijacked the Watcher's mithos.

That, or he just designed the gazebos and that's his signature. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:28 pm 

*Spoiler*
The symbol represents the age of Ahnonay. Ahnoney is 4 different worlds within huge spheres which is attached on some sort of caroussel, the age was made by Kadish and one of the spheres even have a fairly huge statue of him. Thats why it it known as both a symbol for Ahnonay and Kadish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's very possible that Kadish based his Age design on an existing and known D'ni symbol... one which, interestingly, is not a common motif in either the Gallery or Kadish Tolesa, suggesting the association is more to Ahnonay than to Kadish himself.

If the five circles theme meant something to the D'ni like completeness, time, etc., it would be logical for Kadish to use this symbol to represent Ahnonay, and even to build Ahnonay on that design.

The symbol may very well have existed before Kadish used it, and it would be exactly the sort of thing I could see him adapting to his purposes. :)

Annacat

The Narayani Collective

Last edited by Anna Catherine on Fri May 12, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:37 pm 

Interesting...I hadn't thought of that.

Kind of like Gehn in that respect, then?

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:40 pm 

Now I REALLY like that idea.. It makes so much more sense.
Have Kadish stolen other motifs or ways of doing things..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Kind of like Gehn in that respect, then?

Yep, very much like Gehn did, although Kadish probably had more understanding of the symbol's meaning since he was "borrowing" from a culture he was a part of, rather than one he had ties to but was learning about primarily through research.

And really, there's no reason for him not to use it.

One thing that gave me a clue about this is the arrangement of stones on the water altar and the stones and structure combination on Noloben. While it's possible that there's a more complicated explanation there (and actually, I do have a pet theory about it, ;)) the simplest and most obvious possible reason for it is that Esher, also D'ni, was aware of the symbol and liked it enough to use it in Age design, apparently without any direct reference to Kadish.

Quote:
Have Kadish stolen other motifs or ways of doing things..?

That I'm not sure about, although my gut reaction is: probably. His "tree" motif is one that echoes some D'ni themes, but that I have not seen duplicated exactly elsewhere.

I think this is something I'd like to look into a bit more, actually. :)

Annacat

The Narayani Collective

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:41 pm 

I must admin, after I finished PotS and went into Eder Kemo again, I had a small fit of "WHOA!" after realizing the Ahnonay symbol was there, too... in fact I had to run around the house and inform all present, none of whom cared much. :oops:

Then again, considering I was an extremely lax fangirl and only finished PotS two months ago, I'm sure every theory I could possibly have come up with has long since been hashed to little bits. Still, it's definitely one of the top things I'm curious about. That and the Bahro drawings on Eder Kemo suddenly taking on new significance after Ahnonay.

I swear, I don't know if I want to have a long conversation with Kadish, congratulate him on Ahnonay's design (dirty trick though it may be) or kick him. Sigh.

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:30 pm 

Anna Catherine wrote:
That I'm not sure about, although my gut reaction is: probably. His "tree" motif is one that echoes some D'ni themes, but that I have not seen duplicated exactly elsewhere.

Isn't it that same "tree" motif which is used in the railing at the Ferry Terminal ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:32 pm 

I hate to say it, but those glyphs in kemo are Yeesha's not Kadish. I don't think Kadish owned Kemo, or had to do with it.

But the rain thing is interesting. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next