It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The front page of the guildofwriters.com site credits: "AdamJohnso, Deledrius, Kato, Paradox, Taghtahv, Tiran, Zrax".

That's new. That's *almost* what I want. But there's still no link to the forum from that page. And the link posted here doesn't go to that page!

The Guild of Writers front page wrote:
With user-friendly tools, tutorials, and a great community willing to offer help, creating Ages is easy, and fun.

Whaa?? There's still no explanation as to what the Guild really is or its status, from either an IC or OOC perspective. It doesn't even mention MOUL! And from reading the front page, the first question any newbie is going to ask when they get to the forums (if they can find them) is "where can I download the tools/tutorials you're talking about?"

Quote:
Please note that every time anyone tries to do anything in the URUverse, the wheels quickly fall off or are torn off. It makes me sad.

Holy Christ, do I have to put in a frickin' disclaimer in every post??

I am in full support of this site as the home of the official GoW, and I fully support the people who built and run it.

Am I the only one who wants to do this without hiding things, without pretending we're something we're not, and with full explanations and full disclosure? Really?

It may not seem like a big deal, but now is the time (when we can't actually do anything to create ages) to sweat the small stuff, so when we finally get the tools, and the floodgates are really opened, we don't stumble over ourselves to figure this all out.

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
where can I download the tools/tutorials you're talking about?

Tools
Tutorials

Quote:
But there's still no link to the forum from that page.

Yeah, that's bothering me too. :P

Quote:
so when we finally get the tools

See above.

Quote:
There's still no explanation as to what the Guild really is or its status, from either an IC or OOC perspective. It doesn't even mention MOUL!

From what I can tell, the IC/OOC status of the guild is still up in the air, so to speak. The only thing we do know is that it's accepted by interested members of the community/official.

As for the lack of moderators, I take it that the creators/hosts of the forum don't want the job of moderating it. Therefore, until they can find other moderators, the only account with such powers is the forum root admin account, which seems to have been named "Guild of Writers"

(the root account is a sort of 'forum constant'. I has to exist, but it's rarely used in practice, and generally doesn't correspond to one person)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
where can I download the tools/tutorials you're talking about?

Tools
Tutorials

I know where to find them, but those are CC tools anyway (Those links aren't even included, btw!), and the point is that people will assume that age building tools for MOUL are already available, and on top of that "creating Ages is easy, and fun." I don't think we're there just yet :lol:

Quote:
(the root account is a sort of 'forum constant'. I has to exist, but it's rarely used in practice, and generally doesn't correspond to one person)

You don't know that. In fact, that account has responded in other threads, and clearly has a person attached to it. I don't think that this person's identity is being intentionally hidden, but I also don't think it's a good idea to hide the identity of the "Guild of Writers," do you?

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Noble Robot wrote:
You don't know that. In fact, that account has responded in other threads, and clearly has a person attached to it. I don't think that this person's identity is being intentionally hidden, but I also don't think it's a good idea to hide the identity of the "Guild of Writers," do you?

I do know that. I said 'rarely' and not never. I also realize that it has responded to some threads. Mostly in regard to the creation of new forum areas. I do not see this as a problem. I would see it as a problem if we started seeing moderation notes and thread locking from the 'GoW', but we aren't, and I don't expect to. Like I said, once they have mods to do this job, this will not be an issue. (and it isn't now, but I guess that's just me)

And yes, the links to the Alcugs tools should be on the front page. Someone is too lazy to update that page, it seems. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nadnerb wrote:
And yes, the links to the Alcugs tools should be on the front page. Someone is too lazy to update that page, it seems. :P

Nadnerb,
May I suggest a rewording of that? Perhaps it would have been more constructive to say that "Folks had been too busy to update that page yet."

We all need to remember that no one is being paid for all this. It is necessary to do other things to sustain our incomes. - unless of course, someone has won the lottery. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
May I suggest a rewording of that?

Ah, I don't think that is necessary. If I throw about phrases like that, it's in a joking tone. (note the smiley) Also, seeing as I know/have been in contact with said person, I doubt they'll be offended. (and if they are, apologies)
[size=0]and I'm glad you're not a moderator <.<[/size]
However, that said...

Quote:
We all need to remember that no one is being paid for all this. It is necessary to do other things to sustain our incomes.

Quoted for Truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

I pretty much agree with the last two posters. It's not laziness, certainly, and just getting the site up is a commendable achievement.

I bring up these issues, not to derail anyone's efforts, or to belittle what work has been done so far, but to remind the still-anonymous principal proprietor of this site of the massive responsibility that s/he has assumed, and the obligations that come with the privileges. And that it is these minor issues which *can* blow up once this guild thing becomes real.

Explaining the current history and status of the GoW is a priority. Those community links are a priority. Phasing out the "Guild of Writers" account is also a priority, partly because of the account's anonymity, but particularly since it is long agreed-upon that no one person should speak for/as the guild.

These things matter, and I will continue to raise my concerns. I just hope that while we all try to do what we can to encourage and suggest (when we can't contribute directly), we still recognize that this is people's "free time" we're talking about. :)

KI#01165421

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nadnerb, thanks for the clarification. It does make me feel better to know that "Said Person" is ok with what was said. And yes, I did see the smiley. I adjusted my comment accordingly.

But I guess I still have a small problem. We all know that some posters use the smileys to excuse or explain away their rude behavior. So it's hard to tell if it's a sincere smiley (As yours was) or just a fig leaf over bad behavior. Others reading your post might take it as a cue to set the tone of the forum to a more angry level. We've all seen it happen.

We all need to take better care of each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:38 pm 

I don't see what the problem is with the "Guild of Writers" account. Obviously it is the default account, and the creator/owner of the site has all rights to use it, and even remain anonymous if they want to. Unless "Guild of Writers" actually starts claiming to be the sole person in charge of the Guild, I don't have any problem with it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3