It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Random Number generators
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:42 pm 

I know its a bit late but if and when somebody else does decide to open the caverns again this is one item I have seen in other games I think might be worth trying in Uru Live

Random number generator: a computational device designed to generate a sequence of numbers or symbols that lack any pattern, i.e. appear random.

A random number generator could be used on several of the puzzles. Eder Tsogal and Eder Delin for instance a random number generator that is triggered by the door closing after the puzzle is completed and changes the number on the Journey cloths. In Teledahn: the prison with seven rectangular plates and the Prison map in the Mushroom Baron’s office where solving all the puzzles in that age and linking out would trigger the random number generator so on and so forth. This will keep people guessing they will have to do research within the game to learn the solution, in addition every time you go into an age for the first time whether your new to it or just deleted the age or perhaps from a new account specific aspects of the age will be different, no two game will be alike, keep um guessing make um think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:14 pm 

The Delin/Tsogal cloth numbers are already randomized for each instance of the age. Making the numbers change every time the door was opened might make things a bit more interesting, but it could just end up making people frustrated... I've been there many times where the door was opened and not everyone made it into the cave in time, so they had to do it again -- if the cloths were random, they would have to go through the entire process of checking each cloth again...

I don't think changing the currently existing puzzles to randomize every time would be a good idea, but I do think that in the future if Uru gets another chance, they need more puzzles that include randomly generated solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:02 am 

or better yet, random solution generator where your solution to solving the puzzle is different than someone elses. Meaning, you may have a hall that need to be cleared of debris, so you will need to turn this knob to make a setting match something else, pull a lever, and jump out of the way of falling debris while another person will have to do a completely different process to clear the path.

Another example:
:Gahreesen power, brute forcing:
person makes it to the second floor, the building doesn't have that crack you jump in. person finds closed door with a hotspot, they then click on it and see their avi make a valiant effort to open the door and it opens a crack. They try again, opens a little wider, so they try again and it pops open. They make their way to the machinery room. The weight will go up, but as soon as you leave the pressure plate, it slams down before you can get anywhere. you have to find debris to kick onto the plate so you can get the power to work.

And it could be set up so that each puzzle is broken down into actions which could all be switched out. If each puzzle had 3 different actions and each action had 3 different solutions, and each age had at least 3 different puzzles, that would be a lot of diversity and definately make the game more fun in my opinion.

It would also be a heck of a lot of work for the designers too though...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]