It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mix up the neighborhoods
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:48 pm 

Assuming that we'll be able to create our own neighborhoods like we could in MOUL, why not use both the Kirel and Bevin models and mix it up a bit. When a new neighborhood is created have it randomly select either the Kirel or Bevin model as well as what Eder book and stained glass will be assigned. Just a random thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:39 am 

A fun suggestion for sure. It'd be neat to have a few Kirel-style 'hoods around. Not exactly sure how do-able that is, though. But something I personally would also like to see.

-Dalken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:27 am 

I disagree, and I'll tell you why.

I want to see Bevin/Seret style 'hoods used for individuals and communities. A place for people to gather, to share, to relax.

Then we have guilds. As things exist now, guilds have their own Watcher's Pub. What do the guild pubs offer? A holo-projector. If members wanted anything displayed, they had to specifically request it from Cyan.

What I would like to see is having Kirel-style 'hoods for guilds.

This means guilds would get an auditorium for full guild meetings or general interest announcements. They'd get a classroom for small classes or seminars (I ran beginner-level D'ni language classes, fr'ex). 'Hoods already have one screen for images/text and one for technical information. It would, I would think, be trivial to set the classroom screen so that guild members could access it as well.

Guilds would have a place to work, to do things. Instead of just a room to stand around in, they'd have a functional work space. Of course, this doesn't even cover what could be done with the egg room, the Heek table, and the light garden, or any additional rooms that might be added. A large book room/library for the guild of writers? Sure. Maps for the guild of cartographers? Why not?

Kirel has already been associated with guilds, as that was where we read about the five guilds and were able to get T-shirts for them. Why not expand on that?

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:14 am 

IanWatson wrote:
I disagree, and I'll tell you why.

I want to see Bevin/Seret style 'hoods used for individuals and communities. A place for people to gather, to share, to relax.

Then we have guilds. As things exist now, guilds have their own Watcher's Pub. What do the guild pubs offer? A holo-projector. If members wanted anything displayed, they had to specifically request it from Cyan.

What I would like to see is having Kirel-style 'hoods for guilds.

This means guilds would get an auditorium for full guild meetings or general interest announcements. They'd get a classroom for small classes or seminars (I ran beginner-level D'ni language classes, fr'ex). 'Hoods already have one screen for images/text and one for technical information. It would, I would think, be trivial to set the classroom screen so that guild members could access it as well.

Guilds would have a place to work, to do things. Instead of just a room to stand around in, they'd have a functional work space. Of course, this doesn't even cover what could be done with the egg room, the Heek table, and the light garden, or any additional rooms that might be added. A large book room/library for the guild of writers? Sure. Maps for the guild of cartographers? Why not?

Kirel has already been associated with guilds, as that was where we read about the five guilds and were able to get T-shirts for them. Why not expand on that?

Nice post, I agree with you on this.

The pubs are a nice place to hang out but thats all, the D'ni where more laid back about things and I can see them all kicking back and hanging out with fellow guildies and having discissions about the days issues there.

Sadly we're only expected to live 80 - 100 years if we are lucky ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:24 am 
Obduction Backer

I would rather have the Guild Pubs stay. Why not expand those Guild Pubs? Anything could be added behind those curtains. You could have just the central hall with general announcements on the imager, and more rooms behind the curtains for departments to work. All kind of different work areas behind the curtains. That's something I would like. :)

I agree it's better to keep Kirel what it is now. It's nice to have it as the Guild 'hood and very useful for announcements that concern all the Guilds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:34 am 

Possible Uru Complete Chronicles spoilers below . . .

In Uru Complete Chronicles (my first exposure to Uru) there were only two neighborhoods, Bevin and Kirel. Kirel was first accessed through the bookshelf in Phil's Relto. His Kirel book was where your Bevin book was. Kirel and Bevin both have all the same things in them, they're just arranged differently. That's why I thought it would be a good idea to randomly mix them up.

As for the Guild pubs, they are patterned after the Watcher's pub. The Watcher's pub in Uru Complete Chronicles has passageways that lead out to the Watcher's tree. I thinks some writers might be able to eventually add or modify these passages to the Guild pubs and have them lead to an auditorium lined with imagers where the Watcher's tree would be.

And may I add that I am somewhat frustrated that User Created Content (UCC) has now forced me to type out "Uru Complete Chronicles" everytime to avoid confusion. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah can't we call it UEC or UFC (Uru Explorer Content, Uru Fan Content) to avoid confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I use U:CC for Uru: Complete Chronicles and UCC for user-created content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:05 pm 

I think one of the things that will come with MORE is the ability to 'edit' our neighborhoods. This alone will create a lot of variety. Chogon already said there would be some "sacred" areas of the game where we cannot edit/remove/add anything, but he seemed to be implying that areas like Relto and the Neighborhoods would be open to our creations...

Whether this will be bad or good, only time will tell. Although I am envisioning some rather cluttered neighborhoods if people don't know where to stop.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]