It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Playstation@Home
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:32 pm 

Fairly recently the Playstation@home environment was launched. (a 3D virtual environment, much like Second Life)

I saw a demo of this environment and allthough the cool factor is definitly there, it seems to lack a real purpose (other than being a vehicle for Sony to market games)

It seems to me that, if it were possible to enter Myst Live from within the Playstation@home environment, it would help both projects immensely. Sony would have a ready-made game integrated with their environment and Cyan would benift from the massive customer base of the playstation.

-Sheldon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:17 pm 

I'm skeptical, and obviously there would have to be a myst-crazed sony excutive in the system for this to work, but the idea of having a second life environment where you could put your hand on a book and link to MORE. Haha that would just be awesome. But the idea of MORE i think is to integrate real life with myst life, if the sony situation where to happen i think you'd find a lot of the community leaving myst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

So, Playsation@Home is for PC?

Still won't happen, but it's closer to happening than the laughter at the idea of making Uru work on a playstation.

They have their uses, consoles... games like this are not one, not until they have better interfaces and standard keyboard/mice. Like... a computer.

MOULa KI: #00027582
Welcome back all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:52 am 

Sony may have once said the PS3 was going to be a 10-year system, but they're graphics crazed. I don't think they would view Uru, as beautiful as it is, as a fit due to its low poly count - but I could hope otherwise.

I also think that, with what we know about how PS3 libraries work, that PS@H (not pronounced "pshaw" :D ) has its own content creation / maintenance system. Doubtless it's out of the box incompatible with Uru, maybe not so much the art and polygon content as the programming and scripting.

Still, an interesting idea. Sony's launchpad service has hosted a lot of fairly old-skool games on it that you don't find elsewhere (certainly not in such a number).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:50 am 
Obduction Backer

You're really missing the point here. Uru was made for Windows. MOUL was ported to mac finally, in part because they moved away from Havok, but in part because they used Cider (see the logo bottom right of the forum page?).
People have managed linux with Wine, but only Uru offline to my knowledge. Did anyone manage better?

No matter. Until Sony has a way to port a windows game to the ps3, it won't happen. Graphics have zip to do with it. It's not just a different platform, it's a different design philosophy entirely. It doesn't even have a keyboard or mouse!

And even if we skip ALL of these faults, ignoring the fact that Cyan would have to redesign the Plasma engine ground up (which they don't have staff, money, or inclination to do) that ignores the simple problem that it'll never ever happen because of that mix of marketing and rights. Plus, it's a PC game, and exclusively so. (definition broadened not to just windows comps but any computer with windows and a graphics card for it, or capable of running an emulation of windows)

Welcome back all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:33 am 

Yeah, I was working on the assumption that this was some sort of reboot of Sony's Station / Launchpad stuff (which IS for PC), else I would've called that. I should have known better because I did look up a few briefings on the thing, and seeing PS3 everywhere could've tipped me off, I think.

Anyway, I second that - if it's not Windows based, and it's based on the keyboard + mouse environment, then it's highly unlikely to happen.

How many people here are going to buy a PS3 to play Uru?

Saying "well, they could always make it cross-system compatible," but that's pretty tough to do. Uru's infrastructure challenges = not likely to be happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:11 pm 

Yikes ... this did get a bit miss-construded (that will teach me to go away for the weekend :) )

I was looking at this from an ultra high level ..... PS3@HOME is a virtual community meeting place / lauching pad. Uru-live is / was an MMO .... both are escentially 3D rendered enviroments.... and PS3 is sadly lacking in adventure games due the decline in market share for these style of games. It just seemed conceptually like a good fit .... the assumption being that those that take the time to join an on-line community and create their own custom on-line world will be the same general group of people that would enjoy exploring the world of Uru-live.

Technially it would be a huge challenge though as many have pointed out. However, to clarify a couple of points, the PS3 is escentially a computer as you can plug in a USB keyboard and mouse (and even load Linux if you want to). And anyone using PS3@home would already have done this in order to chat effectively.

The monumental challenge would of course be to port the uru rendering engine to the cell processor which isn't something that is going to happen any time soon.

-S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Heh.. sorry, but it's too much of a hurdle to port it. Linux is nice, but will it do wine? And moreso, doesn't linux void your warrenty? Remember, the vast majority of console users DON'T do that. It's too much hassle. I have linux on my DS cause the flashcart loads it no sweat. If I had to mod my actual DS and crack the firmware, I wouldn't do it.

And that's ignoring the fact that you'd need to port the engine which won't happen, or get it stable under an emulator layer which also hasn't fully happened yet.

PS@Home is a nice idea. But they'll have to find adventure games the old fashioned way. It's their own fault.. they're a console where getting a game made is a major hurdle that can only be accomplished by a big name publishing company who knows they can afford the units to ship... or by people doing it illegally because homebrew often results in the company bricking your expensive console remotely. Thus publishers who figure adventure games are dead don't do it, with a few rare exceptions.

That's why it's the PC where it's at. Until that PS3@Home is ported to PC, it won't happen. It;'s too big of a change, it's like the groups in Guild Wars. Sure they're Uruites, but the gameplay makes them into Uru friends in Guild Wars, not Uruites coinhabiting the same area as the GW players. Same would happen for trying to squish the two.

Welcome back all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:35 pm 

Wow this may be an old topic but i still think with the introduction of Xi (a Myst like ARG (Alternate Reality Game)), the idea of implementing Uru into Playstation Home would seem very good. However we must weigh the positive's against the negative's.

Playstation Home is on PS3 while Uru is on PC. The controlling system would face a major overhaul. Jumping would have to be included still as Uru's environment's have gaping holes and chasms that require jumping.
Solutions:
Firstly for the dualshock controller, one of the buttons (square perhaps) could be used for jumping. Analog controls can be used for direction and camera angle. Pressing the R3 button could alternate between 1st and Second Person. Triangle could be used to open conversation options. L1 and R2 would still be used for gesture's and simple lines.
A USB keyboard which will make movement and conversation's more familiar and easier to Uruites.

Uru's environments are 6 year's old and are of very low quality polycount and texture. It wouldn't escape your attention that the texture's in Uru are low-res with small pixels are are very ugly and blurry up close. I don't intend to insult Cyan but 6 years have gone and it would be nice to see many of those texture's improved. We may get MORE eventually but we will be unable to change most of those textures with authorization. If Cyan handed over those models of the Ages to Sony, Sony could update the models by giving them a more surface detail and higher res textures which match those of Playstation Home - It's texture's and models are very good.

However the cost of this would be tremendous. Cyan does not have the manpower or the money to pull of this transfer. Sony however does.

Just what would be the positive's of this integration of Uru in Playstation Home.

It would be the first fully immersive thing to come onto Playstation Home. If Uru was to come to Playstation Home, it would have to everything in it that it had originally that related to the story. The book's; the lush sounds, the age designs, the puzzle's, the D'ni Machinery and the massive amount of fictional historical context which is perhaps Uru's strong point. Unlike other game space's, Uru shouldn't just be a exhibition of a place where you rarely interact with any of the things from the original game. You should be able to pull lever's and climb ladder's; not just stare at them knowing you won't be able to do anything with them.

It would mean success for Cyan. I'm pretty sure if this unlikely idea would come to fruition, Sony would have to pay Cyan the rights to use their content. Also with Playstation Home selling game related clothing and item's, they could easily start selling Uru related content (Journey clothes to put on your Wall that glow when you interact with them perhaps?). They could also start selling apartments (Neighborhood one's or D'ni Mansion?) that like your Harbor Studio should be able to customize with D'ni style furniture and wallpaper, along with firemable lamps. It would also seem that as Playstation Home uses micro-transaction, the ages would have to purchased rather than have the whole thing subscribed to. Some of this money could go back to Cyan as well as Sony.

Some of you seem to see it as too much of a hurdle to port it. It may but this idea could not provide a new experience to Playstation Home user's but also as a return for the Myst franchise and a chance for Uru fans to meet up again and share the same experience they had from 2006-2008 again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:24 pm 

Location: Purple Armchair, Hoveton, England, United Kingdom, Earth-2
I wholeheartedly support this direction for Uru/Myst and Cyan.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]