It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:10 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

While discussing a proposal to Cyan is not an problem on these forums, everyone knows hacks and exploits are still not allowed. That thread is hovering in a gray area, so it is being removed for review by Chogon. If he gives the OK to continue, it will be returned and will include his decision on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:24 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Well, there's only one way to handle this. Have some fun and lay down odds on it's survival.

I give it an 87% chance of the digital abyss, 12% chance of survival by agressive editing, and 1% chance of remaining intact. Odds are integer only (fractions truncated).

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Goodness, gone a few days and I miss everything.

I assume the topic was about "MUU - MORE Until Uru"

I'd ask in pm but I never get a response....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:25 pm 

My goodness. :shock:

Seems like nothing can be proposed or dicussed that isn't "approved" around here. :roll:

I agree with JWPlatt in the premise that the thread is probably dead. At least in the original form anyway. :(

How sad that this place is so over moderated. I always thought forums were a place to discuss all angles of a particular subject. Both pro and con. Legal or illegal. But not here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:29 pm 

I wouldn't say "over moderated." If people would follow the rules, they wouldn't need enforcement, would they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:04 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

That seems reasonable until you consider the effects of Prohibition in the US from 1920 to 1933. Reasonable laws effect reasonable behavior. Unreasonable laws elicit criminal behavior out of just about anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:22 pm 

This is one thing that I'm sad to see here. If the word "Hack" or "Exploit" is even used, the thread tends to get circular filed (oops, now this thread will also get deleted now.....).

While I agree that the policies of this forum should be followed ("thems the rules!"), it does seem to me that it gets a bit over zealous at times.

At no time in that other thread did anyone say HOW to do a hack or an exploit. Nor did anyone give a link to a hack or an exploit. No pictures of a hack or an exploit of any kind were given.

Someone posted that they THOUGHT it was a hack / exploit, when they were gravely mistaken. It was an idea asking if Cyan could give permission to do something or not. Not HOW to do it for goodness sakes......

This is why I mostly lurk here and don't post a whole lot. Feels like I'm wrapped in chains with duct tape over my mouth. At least at the Guild Forums we can talk freely (and why many people here have left and post over there now)/
:roll:

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Guess that means I can't post my pics of Ages using flymode now... *tear*
I had some great shots of one of the shells in Ahra Pahts somehow loading in Ae'Gura too... (and can't replicate whatever happened anymore too)

(If you don't know what Ahra Pahts is, check the Guild forums for more information)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:06 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I don't think it means any such thing, as that was not the issue with the thread. I do think it's a shame you feel so oppressed here. It seems no matter how many people try to correct the record, misinterpreted from the start by careless reading and knee-jerk reactions, the fear of reprisal remains stronger than the facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Although I don't even know what this thread is about, I do agree that the moderating of the forums has been unnecessarily zealous. Sometimes it seems to border on a personal power trip by some (Not all.) Someone said that we need moderation in moderating. I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:43 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Someone with a past posted a poll about asking Cyan for permission to do something which would otherwise be a hack. Despite the proposal to get Cyan's blessing, however unlikely, the mob started to chant "hacker! hacker!" to appease the Cyan gods rather than recognize the effort to seek and abide by Cyan's permission and wishes. The mob brought out the law which was forced to act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

And, um, btw, you're all breaking the cardinal rule which says thou shalt not discuss the moderation of these forums. :P

Take it to PM, please. :wink:

Aww, geez, now I've gone and done it, too. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Moderators please lock this thread. It is about moderationing a hacking thread. Talking about moderation & hacking is a double mortal sin on this board.

It's time for some recipes. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:06 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

The mod is a Whitch! Burn the steaks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Drat. I like my steak rare too :(

However, there IS a good thing that came of the sudden (and UNFOUNDED if you read the original thread) claims of hacking discussion.

We now have it officially that Chogon indeed has read or is reading the original thread, with proposal. So now we know he's aware of the want for answers, and specifically on the UU situation. So.. that means there's a greater possibility now of an answer on any legal status and possibility (even if just a "we can't do that" or "we're busy focusing on MORE, so no time to set up UU again").

So thanks guys for flying off the handle. It actually may have done good this time!

MOULa KI: #00027582
Welcome back all!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next