It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:15 pm 

Just a little thread to chatter the time away and get our minds off the More/No More discussions :)

What is your avi name/names (or, if you never had one, forum name) based upon? Did you choose it because it sounded nice, does it have a meaning, or did you pick a random word out of the D'ni dictionary, or ..... ?

Ours is a boring story: Murray & Sophia is what we are known by on the surface as well... /yawn :P

However, I have seen some very intriguing names around here, I can't wait the story of your name :) I'm sure it is more interesting than ours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:58 pm 

My secret. Click here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 pm 

When I got on the internet back when, I was thinking of an email address. I love hiking and the outdoors and typed in "mtn-man". It let me have it and the rest is history. The ".com" web address was taken (but still is unused though I have offered to buy it), so I bought the ".org" version. Eventually I bought most of the other URLs as well. If you click the link below to see my web site you will see lots of outdoor photos and such. While in Until URU I was "mtn-man" at first, but thought the "mtn'man" name was more D'ni, of course. I took that into MOUL and use that on most boards related to URU and Myst now. I use "mtn-man" everywhere else.

Cool topic. Should make for good reading. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:04 pm 

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphodi = Zaphod I

Like Zaphod's grant grant grant father was Zaphod IV Beeblebrox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:04 pm 

ups.

Grant grant father was Zaphdo IV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:10 pm 

Mine was supposed to mean something like "The Discoverer" but... after I had settled on "Lontahv" I found out that the "tahv" ending was for things rather than people who do things. The correct form would've been "Lontahn" but hey, I'd already picked out "Lontahv". :P

Then later on in the Cavern I met someone called "Lontahn". :lol: Had a chat with me how I should've been called. :lol:

I can't say I'd pick I D'ni name if I had to pick again (I really wanted to get into the MOUL cavern and didn't have a name--needed to just PICK something). But I have no idea what I _would_ pick if it wasn't D'ni. My real first name would have confusion with a DRC member (or at least my nick name would).

I'm fan of other things than Myst now but back then I really didn't have much that I did on the computer other than Myst stuff and looking random things up on the internet. :lol:

Quite a long an funny history I've had with MOUL and my name. :wink:

LET MY D'ENGRISH translatable name live on.
(ok that sentence was a little screwed up--if you get a clear picture of what I mean you should seek medical help or call poison-control promptly) :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Back in Prologue, I chose Shorahmin thinking "Man of Peace" or "Bringer of Peace" - "menapace" in Italian I think. We later found out that "Min" is the D'ni word for woman. This has led to unending confusion about my avatar name and RL gender. Finally, I asked for a word definition to explain the min part. You can see the process here:

http://linguists.bahro.com/forums/index ... topic=1391.

Unfortuanately, RAWA's attention was diverted before the issue could be resolved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:46 am 
Obduction Backer

It's no real secret that I'm a big fan of Monty Python. In the Piranha Brothers skit, there's a line about The Other OTHER Operation. I just like the way John Cleese says that line, and it stuck. TOOO is the abbreviation.

"At the age of fifteen Doug and Dinsdale started attending the Ernest Pythagoras Primary School in Clerkenwell. When the Piranhas left school they were called up but were found by an Army Board to be too unstable even for National Service. Denied the opportunity to use their talents in the service of their country, they began to operate what they called 'The Operation'... They would select a victim and then threaten to beat him up if he paid the so-called protection money. Four months later they started another operation which the called 'The Other Operation'. In this racket they selected another victim and threatened not to beat him up if he didn't pay them. One month later they hit upon 'The Other Other Operation'. In this the victim was threatened that if he didn't pay them, they would beat him up. This for the Piranha brothers was the turning point."

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Karaoke TOOO 816776

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:07 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Sophia wrote:
What is your avi name/names (or, if you never had one, forum name) based upon? ... I can't wait the story of your name :) I'm sure it is more interesting than ours!

Sorry, classified.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:24 am 

One of my dogs is named Cassiopeia. I used that in Prologue, but everyone just called me Cassie, so I changed it to Cassie in MOUL. I think I'm still Cassiopeia on Uru Obsession and Greeters. Pretty thrilling, eh?? I named myself after a dog (or a constellation, depending on how you think of it). Sheesh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:39 am 

KARKADANN, Desert Unicorn

One of the largest and most ferocious of all the UNICORN-like animals found across the globe, the Karkadann was said to stalk the arid flatlands and deserts of India, Persia and northern Africa in search of fresh meat. The name Karkadann is a variation of the Sanskrit "Kartajan", which means roughly "Lord of the Desert". This kingly appellation as also been translated as Karkadan, Karkadanno, Karmadan, and Cartazoon.

This supposedly fearless predator (which has been known to be able to take down elephants) has been described as being as large as a bull, with a wolf-like visage. In the 4th century BC, Greek physician and historian, Ctesias, described the animal thusly:

"Their bodies are white, their heads dark red and their eyes dark blue. They have a horn on the forehead that is about a foot and a half in length.... The animal is exceedingly swift and powerful, so that no creature, neither the horse nor any other, can overtake it."

Although the Karkadann is an undeniably ruthless predator, it was said that a bird known as the ringdove was able to charm the savage beast. Legend has it that this fearless little bird would perch upon the Karkadann's horn and sing its song, much to the apparent delight of its canine host. Ancient historians claimed that the Karkadann so favored these birds that it would often make its home near their nest, and with an almost maternal instinct, protect these tiny avian divas from any potential harm.

Heres a Picture of our Kark Fluffy chasing down his dinner
Such a nice doggie

Last edited by Karkadann on Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:51 am 

Umm... "Joey Zoonishii"...

Joey is my actual first name... well... the shortened form of it. I registered on the DRC forums with "Joey" and was surprised the name was available.

Zoonishii is some dumb name I registered at for Cyan's old forums, I believe...

When making my Until Uru Avatar... I just put them together like it was a name.

~Joey Bakers-Dozen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:56 am 
Obduction Backer

I've been a fan of classic MG sports cars for years, and I own one myself... a 1978 MG Midget, seen here at this year's St. Louis All-British Car Show:

Now back when these cars were originally built, there were several different car brands that fell under the umbrella of the British Motor Corp. And not surprisingly, some of their suppliers made parts for different makes at once. Some of these parts were marked with the mysterious word MOWOG. There have been numerous legends bandied about as to the meaning of this word, but the generally accepted answer is simply that it's a contraction of MOrris, WOlseley, and MG.

When I joined the original Uru forums back in 2003, I needed a forum name, and since I'd just been working on the car when I joined up, MOWOG was the first thing that came to mind. Then when Uru itself came on the scene, I became Mowog in the Cavern as well.

Things became interesting when we kicked off The Cavern Today podcast in '05; I became known as Mowog on the air, announced myself as such, and was addressed by others likewise. Odder yet was when I went to Mysterium 2006, and was formally addressed as Mowog all weekend.

And all this from a strange little word you see on car parts. FYI, I took the three pictures that appear in the stripe across my signature while I was working on a friend's 1964 Mini; the three MOWOGs you see there are located on the engine and transmission of his car.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:25 am 

Ooh such fascinating stories, I really feel that I am getting to know you all a lot better. Thanks so much for sharing and I can't wait to hear more. Nothing more personal than a name, especially when we get to choose it ourselves :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, mine is much more boring then the ones already stated.

My middle name is the one I have always liked so I just took Marie and D'ni'd it a little. I was suprised it was available and have used it ever since... even in other games and forums. It always seemed to fit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next