It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:50 pm 

Hi,

I am new to Myst so I may sound a little off on the names of the locations as I just started playing this the other night. BTW I am really enjoying things so far. So on with the problem...

I have powered up the Ship to 59 Volts and played the song by inputting it into the equalizer thingy and my book appeared. Now this is the third book/world I will be visiting and expected the usual golf course movie visual when the phone rang... Well no problem it has always auto saved in the past, except for this time. When I started up the game it didn't replay the movie like it had before when I got a call visiting another world... This time it was a pure black screen with just music playing in the background. The little info button works fine...

I had read that sometimes there is a memory issue with iphone so I shut it down (Reset method), and started the iphone back up. Again I am stuck with a black screen.

Is this part of the world I entered and I need to poke my way around to find an exit? Or is this some sort of bug?

Hope this isn't one of those bugs where I have to ditch my progress and start the whole game over and hope not to have it happen again :(

Specs:

iPhone 3G
OS Version: 2.2.1

Thanks for your time and help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Canif,
I am not sure but sound like a memory issue, but let me ask you some questions to get more info so I can give as many details as possible to the devs in the report.

when you reset the iPhone did you go first to the "home screen" or directly off from the game?
how much memory does your phone have?
Usually when you do as you said you have, and reset the device it will fix the problem
did you do a hard reset (turn it off completely and then back on?)
I use the iPod touch so am not sure how it all reacts to a phone call other than that it is not supposed to cause a problem.
You should have returned to the game - no the black screen is not supposed to be there,

Don't suppose you have a recent save game to return to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:14 pm 

Thanks for the help :)

I have done a "hard reset".

Event Order:

1. Pulled Handle and Played input tune
2. Opened Book and clicked the image
3. Movie began to load and started playing
4. Incoming call from wife...
5. Answered call
6. Ended call
7. Game came back up with a black screen and the background music playing
8. Pushed the options i button to ensure it wasn't just stuck
9. Entered options screen
10. Bookmarked location just to be safe
11. Returned to game still showing a black screen
12. Hit the home button and left the game
13. Restarted the game
14. Still have a black screen with background music
15. Poked around wondering if this was the world and i just need to find a door out (no luck)
16. Hit the home button and left the game
17. Performed a hard reset holding the home button and the power button
18. Waited 10 to 15 seconds and rebooted the iPhone
19. Restarted Myst back to a Black Screen with the background music playing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:20 pm 

I reset the game back to the start and it functions fine there... I tried to apply my bookmark and it returns back to the Black Screen with the background music.

Last edited by Canif on Sun May 10, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have put in a report, and I will add this info as well.

How much memory does your phone have?

I am not sure if there's a workaround for this problem, as this is the first time I have seen it reported (lucky you huh? :( )

If I can get a suggestion from the devs I will post it here, but I probably won't get to ask until tomorrow.

If you have a recent save game you could go back to that point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:25 pm 

Well I have 2 GB still available of the 7.1 GB on the phone for HD space... Memory wise... The hard reset should have emptied that.

Oh... I had a little to much faith in the autosave... I didn't bookmark any locations other than the one after the problem. DOH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

:? Darn, I had hoped you had a save . . . OK, report is in, and I included a request for a possible work around, no guarantees of course. Sorry this happened. I know it can be frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:31 pm 

You know my gut is telling me to hold on for the next patch... It may just nudge this Black Screen back into the light! :D

Last edited by Canif on Sun May 10, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well I hope you are right! Good luck! I post here if I can get any info to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:34 pm 

Mystdee wrote:
:? Darn, I had hoped you had a save . . . OK, report is in, and I included a request for a possible work around, no guarantees of course. Sorry this happened. I know it can be frustrating.

NP, I always wanted to try Myst and I am really enjoying it thus far. I am used to the bugs and crashes from many other games... Speaking of which... I can't wait to see Riven and perhaps a port to iPhone for this Myst Online URU Live I glanced over on my way to the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

I doubt Uru (Myst Online) will ever get to the iPhone being an MMO. . . . It's a great game though, and I highly recommend you keep checking these forums, it will be going back online as open-source where fans can/will add their own ages to what Cyan had already given us, when it was online originally. It's a community as well as a game and we all love it and miss it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:48 pm 

Found this in the technical forum for URU...

Quote:
Hello,

I was messin with the strategy guide and wound up getting stuck in a book at the end of the game. I hadn't saved any bookmarks and now whenever I load the game it has a nice black screen and all I may do is access the options menu. How do I restart my game progress without uninstalling/reinstalling considering it took so long to do so the first time.

Thanks in advance Myst fans!

BTW, on the iPhone the game is fantastic - one of the best i've played and I have experience with many many games! Props to the developers!

- El Duderino

Guess I am not alone! :D

Note the key word here "book". It appears that users of the Myst application have a chance of getting the black screen if something happens to disrupt the game while using a book (phone call, ending the application to view the hints...)

BTW on the side topic of MMOs for the iPhone platform... With 3.0 coming out allowing subscription based service and other improvements, I think the platform for PMMOs (Pocket Massive Multiplayer Online - Wow a new term LOL) may have just been released. I think the old desk job PCs are on the way out... Even Laptops are really to bulky.

Last edited by Canif on Sun May 10, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks I guess I missed that post. . .! :shock: I'll add that info to the report! Hmmm I'll have to check this it may be a different situation , but thanks for calling it to my attention. :D

Well it would be interesting to see an MMO on the iPod, guess we'll see what 3.0 brings ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:13 pm 

Ok... I just found this post today, hope for answer to my black screen problem in the Myst I just purchased on the iTunes Store.

I returned from the age with all the sounds and underground tram, went to the red book, drop the page on the book, then opened it and listen to the message, then I thought I clicked off the book to turn around and leave the library, but I must have click the book again... because the screen when blank, except for the red page, which is weird, because I did drop it on the book and the guy recognized that I return another page.

I tapped all over the screen trying to get out of the blackness to no avail. The sound, still plays, I can get to the options screen. I have reset my iPhone and still a blank screen... I would hate to have to start all over.

I have a 1st gen iPhone with 8Gigs (3 Gigs available) and I am running version 1.0.1 of Myst

This is obviously a bug that had not been addressed. Is an update going to be available soon?

Post subject: Myst Black Screen Bug
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:16 am 
Obduction Backer

iPhone 3G
16 GB, 3.62 GB free
iPhone 3.0
Channelwood
looked down at plumbing valve, looked up and screen went black.
I can hear sounds, but NOTHING I try unlocks the black screen of death.

It's been fun playing Myst on the iPhone while it lasted.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next