It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: tutelary ride
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:14 pm 

mcbride3 wrote:
One thing that tutelary should be learning in this is not to run off into the maze without making a map.

I disagree entirely :D I've solved this puzzle lots of times before (though not in 4 or 5 years) and don't normally need to map it. I prefer to dive in, explore, get the feel for the nature of the puzzle, and then work it out. If a map is needed I make one. But my understanding is that a map really shouldn't be needed for this puzzle at all. :D

Quote:
It won't help here for me to add this, but after looking at tutelary's very cryptic diagram, i should say he is at Stop 8 to Stop 9.

Unfortunately it had to be that cryptic as that is all the information I had to make it with, as others have now confirmed. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:42 pm 

I never needed a map. I did mechanical age before i did selenetic, so i got the part with the sounds. I would probably have failed at making the map so i was lucky. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

"I prefer to dive in, explore, get..." stuck?
ROTFL

Still, i agree that the puzzle was designed to be one of the sound problems. I solved it the first time (15 years ago?) by sound. But since i have a poor memory (worse now than then), the next time i played the subway puzzle i had not a clue.

So, what i did that time was do what i do when I'm plodding museums: I go left, taking each turn until it returns me to the last main artery. After a time, you may be sure of having covered everything.
That worked better than the sound system.
The next time,though, i decided to make the map and do the left hand turns. This was by far the most efficient way of doing it.

But efficiency isn't everything, is it?
What you don't have after running the subway by bongs and gongs is a coherent image of the whole. Instead, the bong-gong way gives a linear mind the linear experience of so many events. Its a bit like knots on a long crooked shoe lace, except one never gets to see the shoe lace, so one is left with the memory of some of the knots.

Unfortunately, my head is hopelessly spatial. So, for me maps are not only efficient, they tell a story and add considerable richness to the character of the shoe string.

Post subject: You're not crazy
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:38 am 

I'm having a very similar problem in the Selenica tunnels, which has made the game unplayable and unwinnable.

At first, everything worked properly - sounds happened at each stop, the game worked according to the map. Then things began to break down. First, I found I could only go in one direction - north. No matter where I turned, north was always the only option. Then noises at stops ceased altogether, the screen would just flash to black. I then noticed the backtrack button was bright as though it could be pressed, but when I tried to press it nothing happened.

Finally, the graphics started to go. At each stop, nothing would render except the back and forward button. So I'm kind of stuck in a crash state right now.

Is there any fix for this or patch on the way? Really unfortunate...

I'm carrying a blue page, if that helps diagnose.

Thanks so much,
Toaster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:45 am 
Obduction Backer

This has been reported and there should be a fix soon, Not sure when the update will hit iTunes but hopefully not long, If you have a saved game, I suggest you go back to that and try again. this seems to be something that only happens with a wrong turn. and if you make all the right moves you should get through. If you don't want to wait for the update, the in game hint guide has the solutiion on the last "hint" and I think I also posted it in this thread within spoiler tags.

Sorry you got stuck I know that can be so frustrating! good luck! :lol:

Post subject: Same problem
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:19 am 

I know this is being fixed, but just to confirm the bug.

I went first time for the blue page, no problem there.
I went through the maze and mapped it out on paper, since I did not know the sound clue.
(I noticed the sounds though and wrote some down).
Found the exit and then I went back for the red page.

Once on the Island I forgot what I was supposed to do and did NOT take the red page and went to the maze.
There I decided to map out all the other turns, just in case there was something important.

BIG MISTAKE, when I entered the first possible turn to the SE that path just disappeared and there is no way back.
I attach the map I drew so you can see where it all happens.

I have no savegame, so I will have to wait for the fix. I had to use a walkthrough to see if this was a bug or just me being too stupid to figure it out. Too bad, I wanted to do the entire game without a walkthrough and I was doing well till then. And on the way I also picked up some spoilers which gave away the ending (thanks wikipedia :evil: ).

EDIT: Just a little add. I noticed even in my first run through the maze that some areas where lacking sound. I did not write that down, but I clearly remember on my picture on the bottom row the right circle was lacking sound. Then I just went back and took another way and got to the exit. Might be a general bug on the maze and the reason why I did not get the sound clues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for adding your experience and information Lazy Android.

Post subject: Re: Same problem
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:10 am 

LazyAndroid wrote:

I went through the maze and mapped it out on paper, since I did not know the sound clue.

Once on the Island I forgot what I was supposed to do and did NOT take the red page and went to the maze.
There I decided to map out all the other turns, just in case there was something important.

BIG MISTAKE, when I entered the first possible turn to the SE that path just disappeared and there is no way back.

I have no savegame, so I will have to wait for the fix. I had to use a walkthrough to see if this was a bug or just me being too stupid to figure it out. Too bad, I wanted to do the entire game without a walkthrough and I was doing well till then. And on the way I also picked up some spoilers which gave away the ending (thanks wikipedia :evil: ).

EDIT: Just a little add. I noticed even in my first run through the maze that some areas where lacking sound. I did not write that down, but I clearly remember on my picture on the bottom row the right circle was lacking sound. Then I just went back and took another way and got to the exit. Might be a general bug on the maze and the reason why I did not get the sound clues.

I'm stuck in the same area on the map. I'm also holding a red page. Incredibly upsetting. 16 gig 1st Gen Ipod Touch. Thanks for reporting Mystdee.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Bryehn wrote:

I'm stuck in the same area on the map. I'm also holding a red page. Incredibly upsetting. 16 gig 1st Gen Ipod Touch. Thanks for reporting Mystdee.

Thannks for your input Bryehn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:34 pm 

I was able to reproduce this bug in the same way as the map above. Unfortunately I didn't write down where I was from the beginning of the maze. I'll try again from the beginning to see if I can map it completely. But for now:

From where I began wandering & taking notes:
Circle with options N &S - Went S
Circle with options N E S - Went E
Circle with options W N E - Went E
Circle with options W NE S - Went S
Circle with options N E S - Went S
Circle with options S W SE - Went SE
Circle with options N & SW. This is the loop of death. Both options are dead ends.

Looks like someone sinister re-wrote this age. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

:shock: who??

Thanks El Chan!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:57 am 

I have the same problem (perhaps a bug to be fixed), althogh I have not checked the reproducibility.
The map is the same.
Only three nodes exist. Among them, one node has the sound for guide,and others are dead ends.
The backtrack button does not work as it is supposed to (not backtracking, just going backward).
I brought a blue page.

I love the game since I played the one for SEGA SATURN, where I had no problem finishing it.
I hope the bug is fixed soon after.

[quote="Tutelary"]

This is happening: I'm in the car, and simply don't have anywhere I can go. I've mapped out my possible choices, and as you can see, there aren't many.

http://img232.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... loc=loc458

[/quote]

Last edited by TTJP on Sun May 10, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, TTJP for your input. this is a known issue and there should be a resolution coming soon. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:35 am 

LazyAndroid wrote:

Just wanted to report that i have the same problem... Only i am carrying a blue page...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Rudy :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next