It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Don't get me started on scientists and spelling... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:42 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

D'Lanor wrote:
One could argue that incorrect spelling adds to the submersion. It makes it easier to believe that the journals were written by real people who make real mistakes. :wink:

I know you winked, but I'll add a serious comment to this. It depends on whether the writer's orthography is clearly intentional or not. Intentional mistakes by the author to deepen the characterization adds to the story, Unintentional mistakes by the author which a character would not make detracts from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think Sonavio is a well written age.
Many ppl enjoyed it and I doubt if they noticed the misspellings and gramatical errors in the text.
If so, OK.
But nobody is perfect. This is a multilingual community.
And not everyone is that educated in the English language that they can write it in a perfect way. (I know this from my own experience)
If the journals were written intentional in that way, we just have to accept it. (with a grain of salt and good intentions :wink: )

Some tolerance in the fact that people do write not that perfect in the English language, can also result that more people will contribute these forums and might overcome their fear to post here.

To me the intention matters. That is what we need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well said Veralun. :D

I can certainly accept that. I don't have a problem with the misspellings being intentional. I was merely pointing it out in case it wasn't intentional. I just hate it if I get home from a gathering or a day with friends and look in the mirror to see a piece of spinach in my teeth. I think "Why the heck didn't someone tell me!" LOL! :oops:

I agree it definitely is a beautifully written age. My favorite is the "sound sequence" part.

Win 7 64bit-Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz-4GB mem-EVGA GeForce GTX 260oc-Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer - 15MB fiber optic conn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Instead of theorizing, has anybody tried asking Bob whether the misspellings are intentional or whether he would accept help in correcting them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:12 am 

Christian Walther wrote:
Instead of theorizing, has anybody tried asking Bob whether the misspellings are intentional or whether he would accept help in correcting them?

:lol: Brilliant! Someone's thinking! :lol:

As of June 2013.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:19 am 
Obduction Backer

I would have if I knew who Bob was, but I didn't and so I posted here. As I originally stated, I have no clue who wrote this enchanting age. Believe it or not, I kinda figured D'Lanor wrote it based on his responses and the fact that he was mentioned in the journal. Oops! :oops:

Win 7 64bit-Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz-4GB mem-EVGA GeForce GTX 260oc-Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer - 15MB fiber optic conn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:16 am 
Obduction Backer

I helped Bob with the age a few times and he rewarded me by mentioning my name in the journal. :) I will notify him of this discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:59 am 
Obduction Backer

I had no idea this discussion was going on. For some reason I was not notified of additions to this thread or I would have jumped in earlier! Thanks D'Lanor for pm'ing me to let me know.

First, thank you Sharaya for your kind comments about Sonavio. I am pleased you are enjoying the age.

Second. Time to put my hands up. The errors in the Journals are entirely unintentional and completely my fault ......Image

(Although I am British) I guess that English is not my strong point ... and (after all this time) you are the first person to point out all the errors - although IIRC, I did get some pm's when it was first released about some REALY bad spelling errors in there -like "Company" being spelt "Compay" ... which, to be honest, was done because I typed the Journals directly into the python file and never used a spell checker ... :oops: )

maybe now you "get" my signature ... :wink:

Sharaya, if you would be kind enough to send me a list of the mistakes, I will correct them ...

and ...

uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod uɐɔ l 'sǝʎ

Ki # : 02037973

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

boblishman....Love that name! You are so very clever! How did you ever figure out how to write upside down? LOL!

I will send you a list. It'll probably be Wednesday though as I work today and have a back-to-school thing at my daughter's high school tonight. Thank you for understanding my intentions. I completely understand your spelling errors. I worked with a very lovely woman from England many years back and I didn't know and could probably never spell some of her terms like "walleybobs". I've also been involved in a stay-at-home parents forum years ago. Our group of ladies was an international group. We once had quite the discussion on which spelling was more correct....weird or wierd. Americans spell it weird, but those from other countries claimed the correct spelling was wierd. It was quite a fun discussion to watch. LOL!

Anyway, great job on Sonavio. I stil haven't figured it all out yet, but I'm sure having fun trying.......trying not to peek at the walkthrough. LOL!

I'm thinking maybe I should have tried for a job as an editor or something. I have no clue why but I always catch errors in books and things. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I read a lot. I don't know. It's just a strange thing that I do, and not intentionally. I'm not a perfect speller, nor do I spell-check or proof my posts. I've looked back at times or have seen my posts quoted and noticed spelling and grammatical errors in them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:13 am 
Obduction Backer

I got the corrections from Sharaya (thanks!) and I promised I would bo them immediately ... then I remembered that I don't have the files on this machine (the machine they are on is away for repair and the backup is all on DVD's which this stupid old laptop will not read) ... so, until my machine comes back I cannot make the corrections (they promised me 3 weeks maximum).

Thanks again Sharaya, I promise I will do them as soon as possible and get the corrections sent to Drizzle.

and ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Teh guild of Proofreeder's can use all the help it Can get.

I will add my congratulations to Boblishman for making a very entertaining age. It looks good, the music really adds to its charm, it has an interesting story and challenging puzzles.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 pm 

If something goes wrong with that, Bob, I can also send you your decompiled Sonavio python files, minus any comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

, that would be wonderful ... I only need the SonavioJournals.py file ... all the alterations are in that one file.

If I make the ammendments ... and send it back to you, could you re-pack it and then include the new version in Drizzle?
(it seems the ULM database is down at the moment ... I have told Trylon)

and ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sharaya wrote:
I would have if I knew who Bob was, but I didn't and so I posted here. As I originally stated, I have no clue who wrote this enchanting age.

Oops, I missed that part of your post. Sorry for my facetious remark in that case. :oops: To be honest, it didn't even occur to me that, given the usual inquisitiveness of Cyan fans, someone could have difficulties with figuring out how to contact the author of Sonavio. His name is mentioned on both the ULM [which appears to work for me, are you using the new URL, Bob?] and the UAM wiki, and he has accounts under that name on this forum, the GoW and GoMa forums, and probably others...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next