It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Where did Gehn go?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Does anybody know where Gehn goes when he leaves his office on 233rd? What is out there on the rest of the Age for him to do? His Books and living quarters are all in his office... I can't think of anywhere for him to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think he's just exploring and experimenting, checking instruments and whatnot. Science stuff, to figure out what he can learn from this Age to work into his next ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:02 am 
Obduction Backer

My dad always told me that he just walks down to the corner Rivenese tavern where everyone knows his name..he orders a soda and then takes his time to return when someone pushes his button....LOL

Post subject: Re: Where did Gehn go?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Malfhok wrote:
Does anybody know where Gehn goes when he leaves his office on 233rd? What is out there on the rest of the Age for him to do? His Books and living quarters are all in his office... I can't think of anywhere for him to go.

He's studying the Age so as to improve his knowledge of the Art (so he can avoid making some of his mistakes the next time he writes an Age, and can put in phrases that seem to have worked well) and just out of his own curiosity. He's probably spending a lot of time doing this because Riven is somewhat unsafe for him and he's working on a new Age (234th) that he wants to write well.

He might also have machinery or controls on the exterior of the Age which he might be working with (to keep his nice office maintained).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:
Malfhok wrote:

He's studying the Age so as to improve his knowledge of the Art (so he can avoid making some of his mistakes the next time he writes an Age, and can put in phrases that seem to have worked well) and just out of his own curiosity. He's probably spending a lot of time doing this because Riven is somewhat unsafe for him and he's working on a new Age (234th) that he wants to write well.

He might also have machinery or controls on the exterior of the Age which he might be working with (to keep his nice office maintained).

It's been a long time since I played Riven, but from what I remember of Ghen's office, I don't recall seeing a bathroom anywhere...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

http://en.mystlore.com/wiki/MYSTlore:Did_You_Know
Tenth one down.
Quote:
Not a single toilet can be found in any Myst game.

so you think I'd understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Which is why I hope there's not some thriving community living below the clouds in my Relto. Because if there is, I'm pretty sure I'm public enemy #1 AND #2 by now. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:40 am 

If I remember my Riven, Gehn rules over the natives in Age 233 similar to how he ruled over the natives in Riven (Age 5). He is writing Age 234 as a sanctuary. However, given his character, I end to think he's really just writing another universe to escape into, leaving the rest of his worlds as he puts it "to their own wretched fate".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:01 am 
Obduction Backer

There were no natives on 233. Just Gehn and possibly some Rivenese people he brought to build stuff for him (although I imagine he sent them back to Riven).

I do wonder, now that I think about it, when Gehn first linked to 233, I wonder how he got back to Riven? Catherine's journal is explicit about how she got back to Riven from Tay, but Gehn's doesn't really mention it. I guess he could have sent some servants first to build him a power dome for his return book before he ever linked in. Still seems risky.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ghame wrote:
Malfhok wrote:

It's been a long time since I played Riven, but from what I remember of Ghen's office, I don't recall seeing a bathroom anywhere...

Ah yes, there is that theory too. It could quite easily explain why he's so peeved when you keep coming back and calling him back in.

Quote:
If I remember my Riven, Gehn rules over the natives in Age 233 similar to how he ruled over the natives in Riven (Age 5). He is writing Age 234 as a sanctuary. However, given his character, I end to think he's really just writing another universe to escape into, leaving the rest of his worlds as he puts it "to their own wretched fate".

If I remember right, 233rd is uninhabited. Not all his experiments actually get Ages with civilizations, and he was probably a little more focused on actually getting any Age to work then making sure he had more natives (1. He already had a very stable native work force. 2. He is endangered by these natives, and wants a safe place away from them [and other potential angry natives] 3. He lacks all those books to copy phrases off of, so he's having to experiment more in writing [perhaps even using the whole Age as a big experiment so he can get 234th Age right*]).

*And it seems that he plans to make 234th Age uninhabited, and move the Rivenese to it before Riven collapses. He is doing this because he's already spent so much time and effort on the Rivenese that he doesn't want to just leave them and start anew (although the Moiety's actions seem to temporarily make him question this). He does seem to care somewhat for the Rivenese, just like he cared for Atrus in BoA - it's a very misguided and imperialistic kind of caring. He doesn't openly feel any affection for them (the feeling seems mutual in most cases), but he does want them to succeed. It's just that he is so fixated on his one way of succeeding (a very failed way), and his care gets all muddled up in his pride problems (because he also wants them to make him look good - sometimes, I think he gets confused between these two goals) and selfishness (strong self-preservation instinct, personal vendettas, and scientific curiosity [that leads him to neglect things]). He feels he has to force people to work "for their own good" - ignoring that he isn't always the best judge (he is rarely ever the best judge) of what is good for them.

Wohba, long random analysis digression...

Quote:
I do wonder, now that I think about it, when Gehn first linked to 233, I wonder how he got back to Riven? Catherine's journal is explicit about how she got back to Riven from Tay, but Gehn's doesn't really mention it. I guess he could have sent some servants first to build him a power dome for his return book before he ever linked in. Still seems risky.

I don't think he would have immediately linked through the book (in case it was somehow faulty). Instead, he probably sent at least one loyal Rivenese in first (Cho, probably). He could have killed two birds with one stone here, and had them at least partially build the necessary apparatus. It's probably somewhat simple to just get one book barely functioning (then they could bring in more supplies as needed, building a nicer energy system and all the amenities necessary).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't think he would have immediately linked through the book (in case it was somehow faulty). Instead, he probably sent at least one loyal Rivenese in first (Cho, probably). He could have killed two birds with one stone here, and had them at least partially build the necessary apparatus. It's probably somewhat simple to just get one book barely functioning (then they could bring in more supplies as needed, building a nicer energy system and all the amenities necessary).

I would imagine, also, that he wrote the 233rd age with properties and materials that would power a book-powering apparatus much more easily (perhaps that's why it's so inhospitable, if doing that was the Age's main goal), though he was clearly incapable of as elegant a solution as Catherine.

There's also a chance he had some blank linking books with him on Riven, but not blank descriptive books. He'd only need a single one for testing ages, since that would give him a chance to go through and set up a Riven-made linking book and machinery.

Post subject: deep
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:01 am 

Seriously deep, you know gehn on a whole new level, gotta admit i dislike the guy a whole lot more than veovis and if anyone should be banned from writing, it should be gehn. How does he write things so so wrong and leave people to die in his wake?

Post subject: Re: deep
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:41 pm 

devilmaycare34 wrote:
Seriously deep, you know gehn on a whole new level, gotta admit i dislike the guy a whole lot more than veovis and if anyone should be banned from writing, it should be gehn. How does he write things so so wrong and leave people to die in his wake?

Who does the greater damage to the continuum? Ghen, who writes links to unstable ages, or those who save the people who would normally have perished had Ghen not written those links? Perhaps it was intentional for Ghen to link to unstable/doomed ages in order to perform his experiments in an environment that wouldn't upset the balance of the universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:09 am 

Gehn was trapped in the infamous Trap Book, So in this senario,
Atrus still has this trap book holding Gehn, ... OR does he?
Depending on how Riven ends, Gehn could have been freed.

I think someone should go and ask Atrus if he still holds Gehn's Trap Book.
But the Trap Book could have been the same book that Atrus and catherine used to link
out of Riven, while leaving you to fall into the Star Fissure! WHY didn't Atrus also jump
with you into the Star Fissure if it lead back to the cleft 'old tomanha' and not the newer Tomanha
Myst 4. Where is the M4 Tomanha? I was told that it is located like a few miles away from the 'old tomanha'
but it never was mentioned in URU.

Gehn could have also went through the Star fissure,
which actualy is a quantom rift in the tree of possibility, It is rooted to D'ni because it was caused
by imo, Gehn's attempt to write Riven or Catherine caused it when Gehn first took notice of her
among the Rivenese. Gehn had tried to teach her the Art. Either she made a mistake that caused
the Star Fissure on Riven or it was after she met Ti'ana and the two of them together wrote changes to Riven
that caused the S.F. The S.F. could have always been apart of the Book of Earth. ( a doorway for the Bahro
to be able to enter the age of earth )

If the Trap book was actualy to another dead end age like Riven or Spire etc.
Gehn did have the resorses to write a way out of his 223rd age, we will never know until we ask Atrus
who is in Reletion(spelling). We need that Rosetta Stone back in K'veer! Or we need to totaly study the Star Fissure
and tap into it so we can travel back in time to when some the events took place, actualy I think time travel
naturaly takes place when ever you use a discriptive book to some degree.
Remember Myst, and those dates on the telescope room machine? This IMO proves time travel linking.

Gehn could have changed a lot of things, from what we 'should have seen' to what we all see now in the cavern.

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Atrus didn't know, at the time, where the Star Fissure goes. He just knew that wherever it leads to is where his Myst book landed, and therefore, the place where you the player found that book, and thus that the Fissure would take you back to where you came from. Atrus and Catherine linked back to Myst, using the Myst book that you help him fix at the end of the first game.

Gehn remains trapped, either in the "void between ages" if we regard his prison as a trap book, or if it's a "prison book," I always assumed he is most likely trapped in an age that resembles D'ni, but likely consists of only the one room that we see in the linking panel.

The "telescope room" on Myst Island was a planetarium, in which simulated stars are projected onto the ceiling. Dates were used because the "telescope" points at one spot, and the relative position of the stars appears to change as the planet you're sitting on rotates and moves through space... The planetarium simulation is pretty complex, but that sort of thing exists in real life and does not suggest time travel. That said, time travel does get mentioned a few times between Uru and Myst 5, so it is a concept that exists in the Myst universe

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next