It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:37 am 

I began packing my bags the second I heard the news. So many things left unfinished. So much yet to be discovered! I have not been to the caverns in 4 years yet every night in my dreams, it calls to me!

Last week Thursday I sat in my garage, sorting through old dusty boxes which I thought had been shelved for good, trying to find my surveying equipment, microscopes and vitrinite reflectance analysis tools when a sense of anxiety came over me!

"What are you doing!" I asked myself. "You are approaching 30 years old, you have come so far in your life! You are not a child anymore, you can't just go running off to the deep wonders of D'ni!" So many thoughts, so many regrets of opportunities lost and work left unfinished, but could I really leave behind all that I had accomplished in my life since my return to the outside world way back in 2006?

It's seems like ages ago and yet the sights, the smells, the sensations of that wonderous place are still so vivid. Every time I close my eyes, I see the soft glow of phosphorescent mineral lined caverns extending in to the distance. I remember what it was to live my life by the cycles of the lake and walk in the footsteps of those who had been so long before me. I remember the smell of stone dust drifting back as I would take yet another sample to be analyzed back in my R'elto age. I remember the feeling of a fresh breeze on an alien world, so foreign to me yet so beautiful and perfect in its balance, as to be adored.

I think to myself, "I am comfortable in my life". I have a warm bed to sleep in every night and plenty of food. From an evolutionary standpoint I have reached the apex of the food chain where all the necessities of life come to me and the majority of my "work" includes sitting at a desk thinking and yet it seems so empty! I have become so padded, so insulated in my world of comfy couches and constant, flick of the switch instant gratification that anything which does not fit in to my neat and comfortable lifestyle is distant and foreign. The frustration of this thought overwhelms me.

I folded up top of the box I had just finished packing and placed in the back of my car in the driveway and walked up to the house for one last look around. There was a place for everything and everything was in it's place and I wondered if I would miss it come 2 months from now. I closed up the laptop that sat waiting for me by the couch, pulled it in tightly under my arm and walked towards the front door.

The clicking of Kirby's claws scraped across the floor, following as they usually do. He enthusiastically ran out the door and hopped up in the open hatchback to await my arrival.

I close the door behind me, turn the key to it's locked position, and step down off the porch...

Last edited by the_bUg on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:43 am 

Space reserved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:46 am 

Space Reserved.