It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Skimming through the forums I see many people asking the same questions and getting the same answers. So here is a compendium of known problems and their solutions. A word of warning: these solutions have been proven to work for some people. This doesn't necessarily guarantee they will work for you. However, if you try these solutions and it doesn't fix your problem, we will try to help you find a solution that does.

So that this thread can be stickied and I can still update it, the listing is in the post below this.

Last edited by Drakmyth on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

General Notes:
  • Uru is currently only supported on systems running Microsoft Windows. Attempts to run Uru on a Mac (using the GameTap Cider wrapper) or on a Linux machine (using Wine) are unsupported and may experience issues unsolvable by the list below. Current versions of VirtualBox and VMware do not sufficiently support 3D Accelerated Graphics to run Uru successfully.
  • The latest patcher version is 1.912. The patcher should update automatically upon running. If it does not, try reinstalling the client from one of the links on the Play tab.
  • Make sure you set UruExplorer.exe and UruLauncher.exe to have exceptions in any firewalls that may be running. Occasionally this has caused symptoms that would indicate a completely different problem, when the problem was really that a firewall was blocking Uru from connecting to Cyan's servers.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Installation problems
  • AGEIA PhysX crashes when installing drivers with the message "Installation ended prematurely because of an error."
    What causes this error is currently unknown, but a workaround has been found.

1.) Open a command prompt [Start, Run..., "cmd" (no quotes)]
    2.) Browse to the PhysX installer ("C:\Program Files\Uru Live\" by default)
    3.) Run the installer from the command line, adding the "/quiet" command after command ("C:\Program Files\Uru Live\PhysX_Setup.exe" /quiet)

Note: This installs the PhysX drivers that come with Uru. The same instructions work for drivers downloaded from the nVidia website. Simply use the downloaded setup installer instead of the one that comes with Uru.
  • MOULagain will not start and displays the following message even though PhysX was previously installed and working: "PhysX is not installed, or an older version is installed. Install new version? (Game will exit if you click "No")".
    NVIDIA PhysX versions later than 9.12.1031 do not include the older drivers needed for MOULa.

To resolve this, users should run the PhysX Legacy Installer after installing PhysX 9.12.1031. The Legacy Installer is provided on the NVIDIA website: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12 ... river.html
    For versions of PhysX later that 9.12.1031 NVIDIA may provide a different version of the Legacy Installer - Please check the NVIDIA website: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_system_software.html

[Reveal] Spoiler: Patcher problems
  • I'm stuck at "Initializing Patcher..."
    This indicates that there is more than one patcher currently running. To solve this problem:

1.) Open the Task Manager (ctrl + alt + del)
    2.) Click the "Processes" tab
    3.) Select UruLauncher.exe
    4.) Click the "End Process" button
    5.) Click the "Yes" button on the dialog that appears

Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 for every UruLauncher.exe in the process list. Once they are all closed. You can restart the patcher.

• I'm stuck at "Checking for patcher update..."
    This is caused by the patcher having difficulty connecting to Cyan's data server. To solve this problem you have three options:

1.) You can wait and hope it resolves itself.
    2.) Run MOULInstaller.exe again.
    3.) Close the patcher (making sure it is gone from the Task Manager process list) and re-open it.

Options 2 seems to have a higher success rate than Option 1, but is not guaranteed to work. Option 3 should be repeated over and over again until the patcher says "Connecting to server". This usually happens 2 or 3 seconds after the patcher has started up. Note that it is currently unknown how many times you may have to restart the patcher. The MOULInstaller.exe is available on the "Play" tab at the top of this site. Click the link that read "Cyan Worlds (Downloader)".

• I'm stuck at "Checking for updates..."
    This means Cyan's data server crashed. Usually this also results in a dialog box saying "Unable to connect to server." There is no solution for this except to wait for Cyan to fix it.

• I'm getting "Failed to delete old patcher executable"
    This is caused by the UAC in Vista/Win7 not allowing the patcher to delete the old patcher executable which it just tried to replace with an updated one. To solve this problem close any open patchers, right-click the patcher shortcut (or executable) and select "Run as Administrator".

• I'm getting "Error creating file. Hard drive may be full."
    This is caused by the UAC in Vista/Win7 not allowing the patcher to create new files. To solve this problem close any open patchers, right-click the patcher shortcut (or executable) and select "Run as Administrator".

• I'm getting "Failed to launch URU."
    It is not entirely known what causes this rather ambiguous error. A few users have had luck fixing this by uninstalling the client, and reinstalling it on the C: drive. Note however that many users that have installed to other drives have had no problems at all.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Log-in Problems
  • I'm getting "Authentication Failed. Please try again. Account not found."
    This means the Auth server does not recognize your Account Name. Your account name is the email address you used to register your account. If you have correctly input that email address and are still receiving this error, try re-registering.
  • I'm getting "Authentication Failed. Please try again. Incorrect password. Make sure CAPS LOCK is not on."
    1. The password you entered does not match the one set for the account. If you have correctly input your password and are still receiving this error, you can reset your password here.
    2. Passwords of 16 or more characters in length will fail. Use the password reset option, and change your password to one of not more than 15 characters, and try logging in again.
  • I'm getting "Authentication Failed. Please try again. Login Denied." OR
  • I'm getting "Authentication Failed. Please try again. Disconnected from Myst Online." OR
  • I'm getting "Authentication Failed. Please try again. Unable to connect to Myst Online."
    These errors simply indicate that the Authentication Server is down. There is no solution except to wait for Cyan to bring it back up. There have also been reports of this error occurring due to high ping rates when using a satellite internet connection. The only known solution in this case is to use a different, faster, connection.
  • I'm stuck at "Starting URU, please wait..."
    This error is most often caused by a firewall blocking Uru's connection to Cyan's servers. Make sure, if you have a firewall installed, that you mark UruExplorer.exe (and optionally UruLauncher.exe) as an exception.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Account Creation Problems
  • I am receiving a Runtime Error when trying to create my account.
    This means that either the Authentication Server is down or Cyan has disabled account creation for the time being. Either way, there is nothing you can do except wait for Cyan to fix the problem.

• I haven't received my account creation/activation email.
    Some e-mail services are marking this email as spam, and don't always send it to your spam box (electing to just delete it instead). Using a different email address may solve the problem. Below is a list of email providers and the general successes of each:

AOL: May filter it into the spam box, but does receive it.
    Apple MobileMe: No problems.
    AT&T: No problems.
    Cogeco: No problems.
    Comcast: Deletes it. Use a different address.
    Gmail: May filter it into the spam box, but does receive it.
    Hotmail: Mixed results, may or may not receive it.
    Roadrunner: Mixed results, may or may not receive it.
    Yahoo: May filter it into the spam box, but does receive it.

Alternatively, you can go to the following URL:
    https://account.mystonline.com/SetupPas ... ct=*insert email you used to register here*

[Reveal] Spoiler: Crashing Problems
  • The game crashes and may show a stack dump.
    There is a possibility that the stack dump may be hidden behind the game window. To close the game, either Alt+Tab off the game, and back onto it (bringing the stack dump to the foreground) or press Alt+F4. You can also try to access the Task Manager, though due to the game changing the screen resolution this may be difficult.

Tahgtahv has set up a wonderful list of solutions for various stack dumps in this thread.

• I'm stuck at a black screen that won't change.
    There are two causes for this error. Either your firewall is blocking Uru's connection to Cyan's servers, in which case you should mark UruExplorer.exe (and optionally UruLauncher.exe) as an exception, or you are experiencing link lag. Unfortunately, the second is a server-side problem and cannot be solved by us.

• The game is crashing with either a Network Error 5 or Network Error 6 message.
    These errors seem to indicate that your client has lost the connection to Cyan's server. We do not know exactly what causes them, but the only current solution is to just restart the game. If you are experiencing this problem often, you may want to check that you have a stable internet connection.

• I'm crashing every time I enter/leave one of the Bahro Caves.
    The Bahro Caves are horrendously buggy when it comes to crashing. There doesn't appear to be anything that causes them to crash specifically, so the only suggestion I can give is to keep trying.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Ahnonay Problems
  • The lever in Ahnonay to rotate the spheres is missing.
    This lever was used to complete the Ahnonay puzzle in the offline game. However, the puzzle has been re-designed to require multiple explorers to complete it online. Therefore, this lever is supposed to be missing as it is no longer necessary to complete the age.

• The shell cloth before the tram in Ahnonay is missing.
    This is by design. The cloth has been moved into the maintenance tunnels before the tram in order to better facilitate multiplayer interactions.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Miscellaneous In-Game Problems
  • I am experiencing "stuttering lag", lasting only a moment every couple seconds.
    This is caused by server-side lag, meaning there is nothing that we can do to fix it. The client is sending requests to the server and then freezing up while waiting for a response. If the server is slow to respond, this "stuttering lag" will occur. For some reason the client is sending requests even during the intro video and character creation, so lag may appear at these locations too.

• Linking is taking a very long time.
    This is likely either caused by the response from Cyan's server being slow, or you have corrupted files and the client is failing to update them. Deleting the TOS.txt file in the Uru Live directory will force the patcher to fix any corrupted files and solve this problem if that is the cause.

• The elevator in Er'cana is not clickable.
    This is a rare bug but can be quite annoying as the only solution is to reset the age by clicking on the D'ni number 0 (looks like a square with a dot in the middle) on the book in your Relto. Make sure the power is turned on, just in case...

• Clicking on the GZ markers isn't working.
    This is by design, but causes some confusion because it's different than how the offline game worked. When working on the calibration markers (Green or Red on the KI), you will hear a pinging sound and notice a blinking symbol on your KI when you approach a marker. In the offline game, you would click the marker to collect it. In the online game, you need to click the blinking symbol on your KI. Once you move on to the marker missions (Yellow on the KI), you need to physically touch the markers with your avatar to collect them.

• The sparklie in Minkata is missing.
    Fixed in build 1.905
    This is a known problem. For some reason, this sparklie in particular was giving Cyan a hard time. Instead of delaying the release of Uru in order to fix it, they opted for just disabling it. It is currently not possible to obtain this sparklie.

• The Great Tree jacket in the Watcher's Pub is missing.
    This object has also been disabled (though the reasons for doing so are currently unknown). There is currently no way to obtain this shirt.

Last edited by Drakmyth on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 30 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

This new topic is created so Drakmyth can edit his post without the help from a moderator.
The forumsoftware did not allow that with the "old" topic:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19371

I will lock that topic to avoid confusion.
Please continue posting here.

Thanks for understanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Still stuck at checking for patcher update :(. Have restarted more times than I can count, have reinstalled a couple of times, have tried compatibility mode for Vista and XP (in using Win7 - installed from the full client download), but still no joy. Nothing appears to be working...

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:22 am 

:) Don't worry Islander, quite a few people are experiencing the same problem. I believe it has something to do with the amount of people already in the game but I may be wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 am 

Aol: May filter it into the spam box, but does receive it.

Ki#00098951

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Still stuck at "Starting URU!" (This is of course after spamming the server to get in for hours with the whole "checking patcher update" debacle.) I can't believe no one else has had this problem.

I've tried:
-Setting it to run as admin (this is Win 7)
-Setting it to Win XP compatibility
-Deleting TOS.txt and having the patcher re-download it for me

Is it time to reinstall all together, or are there more things I can try first?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:05 am 

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you ! This really helped me sort things out and now I'm in III :D

Fawntree KI#01276191

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:31 am 
Obduction Backer

omg, I'm getting very depressed here. Just a black screen is all I get!!!!! I simply cannot figure this out!!! The game starts to load up but nothing but black. It shows my processor at a constant 50% during this black screen too and the only way to close it is to ctrl-alt-del it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:09 am 

UruLive.Live.1.868 - External.Release
Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):
0x00000000
0x00000000
0x00000000
0x00000000
0x00000000
0x00000000
0x00000000
0x7C817077
0x008BF8F8
0x00464257
0x00462E58
0x00461D34
0x00455471
0x7C3428ED

????? I was doing sooo well! Do I now cancel and relaunch?

Have gone in and deleted the TOS file and got the same error.

Last edited by AmiWise on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:35 am 

djlumberjack wrote:
omg, I'm getting very depressed here. Just a black screen is all I get!!!!! I simply cannot figure this out!!! The game starts to load up but nothing but black. It shows my processor at a constant 50% during this black screen too and the only way to close it is to ctrl-alt-del it.

Did you check your firewall settings? Up til that point the game needs access only I think, so with the wrong settings it might seem to hang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:36 am 

Okay, I've tried the "Checking for patcher update..." solution 2) and it does work the patcher, but after a few seconds it stops and exits. I don't understand what's happened here.

[Edit] Never mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Drakmyth wrote:

• I'm getting "Failed to delete old patcher executable"
    This is caused by the UAC in Vista/Win7 not allowing the patcher to delete the old patcher executable which it just tried to replace with an updated one. To solve this problem close any open patchers, right-click the patcher shortcut (or executable) and select "Run as Administrator".

I need a different answer to this trouble - I'm getting it on an older laptop (that used to run the Gametap version) It's running Windows 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080212-0005; Service Pack 3, v.3311 - see, I said it was an older one. :-)

Thanks for any quidance anyone can provide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

> Windows 5.1

That looks a really odd way of saying Windows XP! You should still be able to right-click and run as administrator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:57 pm 

Question: Do I have to download it from fileplanet, (the big 1.1gb download, which wouldnt be a problem but it caps speeds at like 60kb/s, even with my 40mb/s speed, so it takes like 5 hours) or can i download small 400kb thats hosted by Cyan? <-obviously the latter is missing files, but will the patcher d/l them or no?

If you (cyan) can, you should try hosting the file at BigDownload.com as they have uncapped download servers and would make it faster for people. But i dont know what that involves or anything so...

oh and the atomicgamer.com mirror wants to take over 1 day to d/l at 6kb/s....thats just wrong lol. I guess thats because the server is in Texas and im in Europe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next