It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:36 am 

As a newcomer, I was quite overwhelmed by possibilities available in the cavern and Ages. Unfortunately, I still lack some skills and knowledge to be fully integrated into cavern.

Could please someone create a sticky topic summarizing social skills needed in the cavern, including, but not limited, to KI friedn management and inter-personal communication, setting up and using voice chat, ways to getting/offering help in cavern, social customs developed through years of cavern existence, recommended meeting places and how to get there, bevin management (creating, inviting, etc.) and other similar things? They are currently scattered throughout forums and quite difficult to obtain in entirety.

Thanks for your help in the name of all the future newcomers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:33 am 

Hi TomVal, welcome to Uru.
There are some oddities in this community and game. Some see this as a simple adventure game with puzzles. In that respect it is important to avoid giving clues and hints in Age Chat where people that may not want a hint can hear. Use private chat. The Guild of Greeters has a good manual on the web site, not the forum. We also have a section for spoilers and spoiler tags in this forum.

Others play the game as more of an Alternate Reality Game and play as if the Cavern were real. For those players we try to avoid breaking their immersion.

In the role play sense the game is a little odd in that your role play character is supposed to be the RL you. How real you make that or how much you move away to a fictitious character is up to you. I think the original idea was to make role play easy for those new to it, which was likely when the game first came out.

How you choose to play is up to you.

There are also guilds and a large number of fan sites. The guilds are in 3 flavors. There are the historic guilds of the story that were made of the D’ni people and vanished with them. There are the In Cavern or In Character (IC) guilds in the games IC story, the restored guilds. There are also the fan based guilds in RL, which are the OOC guilds. Some fan sites are OOC (Out of Cavern/Character) and others are IC. It can get confusing which guild or story one is dealing with. Long time fans even get confused.

Most of the important threads are stickied. See the section “Information & Resource Center”. There is an Important Posts or Threads of Special Interest. There is a search tool at the GoC Tech Data Site – Myst/Uru Search.

There is lots of back story. You can find reference works at DPWR.net – Guild of Archivists and Mystlore.com. A general reference listing fan sites is at Rel.to. (It seems to have gone down… it hopefully will be back). Since the idea is one just found their way into the Cavern, you are not expected to know the back story. You will understand and see clues and relationships if you know more of the back story and role play would be colorful.

Because of the series of opening and closings of the game the fan community is spread across several worlds. You can find Uru fans in most popular MMOG’s. So, many play in Uru and in other worlds. Also, there are groups of us on Twitter and Facebook. There are a couple of Twitter threads on this forum if you are looking for contacts. There are several blogs by fans. The one covering most of the worlds with Uru fans playing is The D’ni Voice. The long time news site is the GoMe. One of the newer forums in the community is OpenUru.org (OU), which is looking to provide guild free support for those interested in building fan run servers and content. The Guild of Writers has the most information about building ages (game modifications). Much of the history of the game can be found at Uru Obsession. The UO forum server crashed Oct 2009 and backups were used to move it to a new host and forum software. The web site portion is still being restored. The Uru Live New Comers Guide may help too.

Enough? :)

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

The beauty of Uru is that you can learn these things completely at face value. Imagine yourself actually linking into the cavern, and meeting all these people there. Behave as you would if it actually happened to you. You'll be very welcome.

That's really the only behavioral etiquette anyone needs when they start. Customs, taboos, etc., in as far as they exist they'll be made apparent quickly, but there aren't many, other than a few technical things like "please don't use voice chat to play music in public areas, because it affects bandwidth for everyone hearing it." It takes most newbies a while to think of that anyway, and by then they've probably learned how it's usually done.

Now, if one's "natural behavior" would be to behave like a 33-year-old teenager living in his parents' basement, playing WoW 16 hours a day, living entirely in l33t sp34k and basically acting like a complete immature [censored] giving misery and grief to all they meet, as is all too common in other MMOs, then one might not find oneself very welcome after all. But no more so than if one behaved that way in public in real life.

Core point being that we love new people in the cavern and we don't expect them to be familiar at all with what they're doing. Come join any discussion you see and odds are you'll learn everything you need to know without trying. Just say "hi" back when someone says "hi" to you and find out how easy it is to make friends in Uru. :)

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

The short answer:
Quote:
"Treat people like you want to be treated."

Semple... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:18 pm 

Of course I appreciate the game, I like playing it very much, and I like the comunity either. But imagine a person who has read about MO:UL somwhere in a magazine or the Net, who wants to find out what's this game about. I have heard voices from experienced explorers that the beginning could be quite confusing for "untouched" beginner. So there should be a set of resources available. Yes, there are many topics dealing with various aspects of game, but some things are confusing as well.

An example? As I first came to Greeters' bevin, someone asked me: "How did you learn about the cavern". Huh? What "cavern"? Why "cavern"? Most ages are under the sky, so why "cavern"?

I like to create an image of a thing I'm interested about in my head first, think about various possibilites offered, any caveats I can encounter and ways to avoid them, and after that, I approach the real thing. And for a person with low vision, Myst world is quite hard because of intentional lack of captions, interactive object highlighting, and in many times, quite dark palette used - I have to raise system's gamma to 2.0 during daytime to be able to play MO:UL comfortably. It makes gameplay challenging for me even with detailed walkthrus, since sometimes I have hard times to figure out what and where I'm supposed to do.

So that's why I asked for a summary of social habits and related gameinterface skills.

And last but not least: the cavern depends on newcomers in order to survive and prosper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:49 pm 

TomVal
Get this book, the Myst Reader:http://www.amazon.com/Myst-Reader-Rand-Miller/dp/1401307817/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268405126&sr=1-1
Read and enjoy the story and you will understand much more.
BTW: If you are the same TomVal, you did good on the door run yesterday. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:21 pm 

TomVal, you are right about needing new players. You also are experiencing things as many new players will. Thanks for asking questions.

Sharing your experiences and the walls you bump into is appreciated by several if us. At OpenUru.org several people are figuring out what changes need to be made to the game to help new players.

One of the things 'old timers' often forget is that the original game had a different starting point. In that time it made more sense. During the GameTap era the start point got change to get players to the group experience sooner. Many of us feel that detracted from the story line and made things more confusing.

Part of the story of Uru is finding the Cleft and volcano. Then the trip down the volcano opening to the Cavern. You can see that even the Cleft start changes that experience and more or less derails the story. Many have complained about that and we still debate the issue from time to time.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image