It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:53 pm 

Tahgtahv wrote:
...And pretty much everyone who vists guildofwriters.com or any other fan created content site is guilty by association.

again baloney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:53 pm 

Except that Cyan has no way of knowing who is logging in with UruExplorer and who is logging in with WhoM. All logins look the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:55 pm 

Paradox wrote:
Except that Cyan has no way of knowing who is logging in with UruExplorer and who is logging in with WhoM. All logins look the same.

That is fixed by making the client leave a footprint on the server. Something wiht security so it wouldn't be easyly simulated be external tools. Accounts with logins with no uruexplorer footprint would mean logins with external tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

And logging in with a Bahro uses the unmodified client too. All it takes is changing a single field in a database entry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:59 pm 

zehl wrote:
Paradox wrote:

That is fixed by making the client leave a footprint on the server. Something wiht security so it wouldn't be easyly simulated be external tools. Accounts with logins with no uruexplorer footprint would mean logins with external tools.

There is no way to do that. That data would have to be in the client. And guess what? if it's in the client, it can be duplicated by other tools. It might take a few hours, days, maybe a week if Cyan does some really tricky stuff, but it will still be broken. Just like every other DRM scheme.

Cyan shouldn't waste time or resources on that sort of thing. Instead they should work on getting the code open sourced so the real security issues can be fixed.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:10 pm 

Tahgtahv wrote:
And logging in with a Bahro uses the unmodified client too. All it takes is changing a single field in a database entry.

Hopefully the new security update takes care of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:41 pm 

No honest developer for Uru supports what this person has done. No one has suggested this isn't a big deal. Some people were trying to put this incident in perspective for everyone, but that does not equal any kind of acceptance or excuse making for the perpetrator.

For every one person who does something malicious, on purpose or not, there are ten people in the modding community who only want to create content for Uru for people to enjoy.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:50 pm 

BAD wrote:
For every one person who does something malicious, on purpose or not, there are ten people in the modding community who only want to create content for Uru for people to enjoy.

Now this is something that i actually believe. The problem here is telling one from the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

zehl wrote:
BAD wrote:

Now this is something that i actually believe. The problem here is telling one from the other.

As a pretty good first rule of thumb, if your mod affects me without my opting in, you probably shouldn't do it.

Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Obduction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:58 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

There are a pile of posts which all but lead one to believe certain individuals know the perpetrator and perhaps condone the actions or at best pass them off. I considered compiling them from the other thread to demonstrate why many people get that perception here, but decided it was just a waste of time and would lead nowhere. But this one is too easy to demonstrate how easy it is to forget what has come before:

BAD wrote:
No one has suggested this isn't a big deal.

Tahgtahv wrote:
For now though, I think its a non-issue.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 447#339447

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Indeed, JWPlatt. Sometimes I think certain members of the community forget the distinction between hacking and cracking, and endorse both.

Have Ages, and link to them without bindings. [Words 1:13]
Seltani
Obduction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:05 pm 

BAD wrote:
No honest developer for Uru supports what this person has done. No one has suggested this isn't a big deal. Some people were trying to put this incident in perspective for everyone, but that does not equal any kind of acceptance or excuse making for the perpetrator.

I beg to differ:

AdamJohnso wrote:
The forum rules allow discussion of hacking.

In case you haven't been checking the CAVCON, the total logins is gradually slackening off. Something must be done to keep interest. If it's bahro running around naked and it keeps interest up, then go for it. I don't want to see Uru die, despite popular thought.

and

Paradox wrote:
Is it such a terrible thing if people are trying to generate more interest and keep the storyline going? I thought that was the whole point of Uru...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:09 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
There are a pile of posts which all but lead one to believe certain individuals know the perpetrator and perhaps condone the actions or at best pass them off. I considered compiling them from the other thread to demonstrate why many people get that perception here, but decided it was just a waste of time and would lead nowhere. But this one is too easy to demonstrate how easy it is to forget what has come before:

BAD wrote:
No one has suggested this isn't a big deal.

Tahgtahv wrote:
For now though, I think its a non-issue.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 447#339447

Paradise wrote:
BAD wrote:

I beg to differ:

AdamJohnso wrote:
The forum rules allow discussion of hacking.

In case you haven't been checking the CAVCON, the total logins is gradually slackening off. Something must be done to keep interest. If it's bahro running around naked and it keeps interest up, then go for it. I don't want to see Uru die, despite popular thought.

and

Paradox wrote:
Is it such a terrible thing if people are trying to generate more interest and keep the storyline going? I thought that was the whole point of Uru...

Wow, are you serious? Go ahead and compile all the posts that support your claim. Maybe I'll even read it some day.

PS: I'm telling you, you are grossly misinterpreting their words.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:13 pm 

BAD wrote:

Then I must take some other years of English classes because Paradox's "Is it such a terrible thing?" sound a lot like a rhetorical question to me.

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 pm 

Simone wrote:
BAD wrote:

Then I must take some other years of English classes because Paradox's "Is it such a terrible thing?" sound a lot like a rhetorical question to me.

Well. Lets see....

Is it such a terrible thing, compared to someone putting a virus on the server?

Is it such a terrible thing, compared to an earthquake?

Is it such a terrible thing, compared to a sun flare baking the Earths surface?

It's called trying to put things in perspective.

What you are doing is assuming malevolence.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next