It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:28 am 

I missed it :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:02 am 

At one point in the evening I was getting sick of reading the sentence "What's going on in Ae'gura?" How do you explain something as silly as someone doing a spam bot and calling it BOMB? Apart from the puzzle bit most people around me had a sentiment that would best be discribed with the sentence "That sounds so weird!"

I don't know how much preparation you needed to do this event, OHB but I'm sure you knew before that you would draw attention; if not with the "nothing is going to happen" than at least with the "BOMB thread". I built all my RL activities around my last event in the cavern; I sat at the computer in an empty flat with a total mess around me but you didn't even consider postponing your event. You may be an attention drawer but you are definitely not a sensitive person. You have upset me a lot yesterday. No matter what you are going to comment on my post, you are my enemy now.

Hitana Jadurian (GW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

The people who attended the BOMB event, attended of their own free will. It is not OHB's fault that people did not attend your event.

Last edited by kaelisebonrai on Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Before anyone comments on Hitana's post, please remember that this was very personal to her. I know how she feels; I once threw a party in MOUL which was disrupted by the release of a new age and people clogged the cavern so much that our special guest - a ResEng couldn't even link in.

In SL, the Uru Community holds many events that coincide and no one complains because they don't affect each other this way. That it happens in Uru is no one's fault (maybe when we get to CAVCON 5, things will improve), but since we have this Cavern Events section now, perhaps we can use it and the GoMe calendar to plan our events so that they don't conflict with others. Spreading them out would also help make the cavern feel more alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey, just a note.. if people had trouble with crashing in, say, the Watcher's pub, that's a server issue, and only happened because there were a *lot* of people in cavern, last night. That's not necessarily a bad thing, you know? unfortunate for people who had it happen.. but.. its kinda the issue with the state things are at, now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:42 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Before anyone comments on Hitana's post, please remember that this was very personal to her. I know how she feels; I once threw a party in MOUL which was disrupted by the release of a new age and people clogged the cavern so much that our special guest - a ResEng couldn't even link in.

So this gives her free reign to smack people around? Nonsense. Hitana, I would sympathize with you but your post is so juvenile I just can't. People didn't come to your event. Maybe they didn't come because they saw the BOMB as something new. People will go where they want and people try to keep conflict to a minimum, but it's not perfect and you just have to deal with it. Saying OHB is now your enemy over this is not how one healthily deals with it and is just silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually there weren't that much people and the server could easily cope. What Tai'lahr mentioned was an event during GameTap run MOUL.
And since there were not enough people to fill up both events Hitana's party ended up drawing the short straw. To make it more painful many people who did come by in reality wanted to go to the city but found it full in the Nexus. So these visitors kept asking what was going on in the city and showed little interest in the event at hand.

The fact remains that OHB could have easily picked another date when he learned about another and previously planned event, but he didn't. See posts 3 and 4 of this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:55 pm 

Quote:
Saying OHB is now your enemy over this is not how one healthily deals with it and is just silly.

Just more a reason to leave.

Bye

Hitana Jadurian (GW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor wrote:
Actually there weren't that much people and the server could easily cope. What Tai'lahr mentioned was an event during GameTap run MOUL.
And since there were not enough people to fill up both events Hitana's party ended up drawing the short straw. To make it more painful many people who did come by in reality wanted to go to the city but found it full in the Nexus. So these visitors kept asking what was going on in the city and showed little interest in the event at hand.

The fact remains that OHB could have easily picked another date when he learned about another and previously planned event, but he didn't. See posts 3 and 4 of this topic.

Supposedly, people were crashing out of Hitana's party, and people were blaming the BOMB event. That was the best explanation I could come up with. =P Obviously, the BOMB event should not have had any influence on those crashing in the Watcher's Pub. =)

EDIT: Note, also, that OHB was out of town, until around Friday. It was not as easy as you might think, for OHB to reschedule at that stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:
EDIT: Note, also, that OHB was out of town, until around Friday. It was not as easy as you might think, for OHB to reschedule at that stage.

Hitana's event was posted in the Cavern Events forum on June 26, more than a week before OHB posted his event in the same forum. A little due diligence would have turned up the conflict. Lord Chaos posted about the conflict in OHB's Nothing thread about 6 1/2 hours after OHB started the thread, and OHB remarked on the conflict Thursday morning. Assessing the ease of rescheduling or avoiding the conflict in the first place is left as an exercise for the reader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

note that there were also several other events going on at the time. No one has complained about them being on at the time. Merely because this event was such a success, and Hitana's wasn't nearly as successful, are people complaining. I see no reason for this to be an issue, the more events the better, in my eyes. It is up to those who attend to choose what event they attend, not the organiser.

EDIT: I for one had no plans to attend Hitana's event, even if OHB's event wasn't on at the time, and I don't think I'll attend any future events, in SL, either. (Especially after this debarcle).

EDIT2: Also, the header, for me, on the remark post is... " Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 am — Post subject:"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:10 pm 

Hitana dear, calm down.

I'm sorry you didn't get the outcome of your event that you wanted. I know how you feel as I've arranged things in the past only to have no one show up because there was a cyan employee in town, or other events going on at the same time that people would rather go to. That's life.

As for asking OHB to reschedule his event, well, here is my opinion: If I were to arrange an event, I would take a look at my calendar and decide on a day that would be best for me, after all I'm the one doing the event, and I have a life outside games, so it won't be practical to hold the event just whenever. I would then prepare everything and announce it. If it then turned out there was another event the same day, well, I'd go ahead with it anyway. People will choose themselves what event they want to go to. If it then turned out people would not come to my event and went to the other one, well, that's their choice.

Hitana, I know what situation you are in right now, and it is clouding your judgement. Take a deep breath and think over it again. From what I've read in other threads, you did in fact get plenty of visitors, and you should be glad that your true friends were there for you. Complaining that some of them went to the other even is just immature. Me, I have no interest in dance parties, but I actually considered going to the BOMB event. And I haven't been tempted to going into the cavern for years! And while I'm sure many people appreciate what you do, keep in mind your kind of event just isn't everyone's cup of tea, and you shouldn't rant just because of that. People are different and like different things!

Don't let this thing keep you from doing events in the cavern in the future. Your true friends will always be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Like I stated in another thread...my "event" didn't happen anything like I expected it to. Here's what I thought would happen:

1. We'd do our little skit, the bomb would be activated, and we'd all leave. And all that would take 10-15 minutes. (It took 20)
2. The bomb would be there for the next few days...just sitting there while people randomly walk past poking it or talking to it go to a humorous reply.
3. Some enterprising people would take time to solve it (via the forums) and a few days later they'd be successful in deactivating it.
4. I'd get to spend a few days out of the cavern while "trapped on my arch-nemesis' relto"

Obviously, that didn't happen. And you think it disrupted YOUR life? I told Christine I'd bring OHBot to the concert event to translate between English, French, and Portuguese...and I feel HORRIBLE that I couldn't do it. Here's what happened:

1. Right after the bomb was activated and the skit was over, despite all of the prior testing, the massive amount of people (in a process I /still/ don't understand) was causing an error with the bomb's program. I had to sit there pressing a button on the keyboard every 10 seconds...but when I did that it went nuts because people were standing too close.

2. I had to take the bomb offline, fix the bug, and bring it back in. Surprisingly, nearly everyone stayed while I did this. I thought that it was a disaster and everyone would leave and that would be it.

3. I brought the bomb back in and made sure it was now working correctly. By this time I had already let Christine down completely for which I PMed her an apology. I honestly felt (and still do feel) terrible for letting her down. Although, from what I hear the concert was a success and they were happy with the end result.

To address Hitana, because apparently "No matter what you are going to comment on my post, you are my enemy now":

1. I wasn't aware of your event at the time. Despite when the announcements were first made publically (at the All Guild Meeting), the date and time and resources had already been set for over a week. I had to pick a good date that worked for a) me, b) those helping me (inc. one in Australia), c) a weekend time that would be good for a number of people. Rescheduling was frankly, not an option.

2. Like some others have mentioned, I don't like dance parties that much either. A lot of people don't. And...if I'm pestered enough to go to one, I'm usually only there for 30 minutes. For me, putting my avatar into a room while listening to internet radio and typing "/dance" every 15 seconds is boring. If I want music, I open my media player. They were cool back in the day...but for me the very idea is just boring. And, more often than not, there's very little discussion at said events.

3. Skip this one if you bruise as easily as Natasha Beddingfield. (See how I worked in a music reference? Yeah...) Don't complain to me that not enough people went to your event. First, I don't see you complaining to everyone else who held an event. How DARE they keep people away from YOUR event!?!!? Second, you fail to consider the possibility that people didn't attend because your event was boring.

4. All that being said, I'm sad my event impacted yours. I didn't think it would have an effect. I guess I'll know for next time. But I'm not /sorry/ it did. I'm also sad for those who couldn't get into the city to see what was happening. But, I'm not /sorry/ for it. I am, however, sorry that your event didn't go as you wanted it to. I know you put work into these things...but it's not going to be the last event you throw, is it? At least it certainly shouldn't be. But, hey, that's YOUR choice. If you want to leave, that's YOUR CHOICE. If you want to get in a tiz-waz over this, that's YOUR CHOICE.

Here's what is also potentially YOUR CHOICE: Don't let it get to you! Get over it! You can CHOOSE not to let this be an issue for you. You can CHOOSE to come back and do another event. And, if you do, might I suggest you open with "Final Countdown" by Europe? It would be a funny way to start your show poking fun at yourself, at me, at the bomb, and at everyone who came to my event instead of yours.

But, it's all up to you Hitana...make a CHOICE. YOUR CHOICE. And make the right one. And, if you hold another event, and promise to open with Final Countdown by Europe, I'll be there :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:23 am 

Ok folks, seriously...leave me be. I'm done with all of you right now. You have absolutely no idea what is going on with me and I don't care to tell you. I'm just doing everything wrong, so just get away from me.

Hitana Jadurian (GW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hitana wrote:
Ok folks, seriously...leave me be. I'm done with all of you right now. You have absolutely no idea what is going on with me and I don't care to tell you. I'm just doing everything wrong, so just get away from me.

F.Y.I. Leave you be? If you wanted to be left alone, posting all sorts of things in a forum and then begging for response (at least from me) is not the correct way to accomplish being left alone. I can only surmise that you didn't like the responses you asked for.

But, if you now want to be left alone I'll consider this issue resolved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next