Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am
|Like I stated in another thread...my "event" didn't happen anything like I expected it to. Here's what I thought would happen:
1. We'd do our little skit, the bomb would be activated, and we'd all leave. And all that would take 10-15 minutes. (It took 20)
2. The bomb would be there for the next few days...just sitting there while people randomly walk past poking it or talking to it go to a humorous reply.
3. Some enterprising people would take time to solve it (via the forums) and a few days later they'd be successful in deactivating it.
4. I'd get to spend a few days out of the cavern while "trapped on my arch-nemesis' relto"
Obviously, that didn't happen. And you think it disrupted YOUR life? I told Christine I'd bring OHBot to the concert event to translate between English, French, and Portuguese...and I feel HORRIBLE that I couldn't do it. Here's what happened:
1. Right after the bomb was activated and the skit was over, despite all of the prior testing, the massive amount of people (in a process I /still/ don't understand) was causing an error with the bomb's program. I had to sit there pressing a button on the keyboard every 10 seconds...but when I did that it went nuts because people were standing too close.
2. I had to take the bomb offline, fix the bug, and bring it back in. Surprisingly, nearly everyone stayed while I did this. I thought that it was a disaster and everyone would leave and that would be it.
3. I brought the bomb back in and made sure it was now working correctly. By this time I had already let Christine down completely for which I PMed her an apology. I honestly felt (and still do feel) terrible for letting her down. Although, from what I hear the concert was a success and they were happy with the end result.
To address Hitana, because apparently "No matter what you are going to comment on my post, you are my enemy now":
1. I wasn't aware of your event at the time. Despite when the announcements were first made publically (at the All Guild Meeting), the date and time and resources had already been set for over a week. I had to pick a good date that worked for a) me, b) those helping me (inc. one in Australia), c) a weekend time that would be good for a number of people. Rescheduling was frankly, not an option.
2. Like some others have mentioned, I don't like dance parties that much either. A lot of people don't. And...if I'm pestered enough to go to one, I'm usually only there for 30 minutes. For me, putting my avatar into a room while listening to internet radio and typing "/dance" every 15 seconds is boring. If I want music, I open my media player. They were cool back in the day...but for me the very idea is just boring. And, more often than not, there's very little discussion at said events.
3. Skip this one if you bruise as easily as Natasha Beddingfield. (See how I worked in a music reference? Yeah...) Don't complain to me that not enough people went to your event. First, I don't see you complaining to everyone else who held an event. How DARE they keep people away from YOUR event!?!!? Second, you fail to consider the possibility that people didn't attend because your event was boring.
4. All that being said, I'm sad my event impacted yours. I didn't think it would have an effect. I guess I'll know for next time. But I'm not /sorry/ it did. I'm also sad for those who couldn't get into the city to see what was happening. But, I'm not /sorry/ for it. I am, however, sorry that your event didn't go as you wanted it to. I know you put work into these things...but it's not going to be the last event you throw, is it? At least it certainly shouldn't be. But, hey, that's YOUR choice. If you want to leave, that's YOUR CHOICE. If you want to get in a tiz-waz over this, that's YOUR CHOICE.
Here's what is also potentially YOUR CHOICE: Don't let it get to you! Get over it! You can CHOOSE not to let this be an issue for you. You can CHOOSE to come back and do another event. And, if you do, might I suggest you open with "Final Countdown" by Europe? It would be a funny way to start your show poking fun at yourself, at me, at the bomb, and at everyone who came to my event instead of yours.
But, it's all up to you Hitana...make a CHOICE. YOUR CHOICE. And make the right one. And, if you hold another event, and promise to open with Final Countdown by Europe, I'll be there