It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

OK, given that this application has been around for the best part of four months, I think it's fair to assume that if Cyan had an objection to it, then they would have expressed that long before now.

If people want to continue a discussion of the merits/demerits of out-of-game tools in general then please start another thread on the subject. Please do not continue to derail this thread.

Thanks.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

To address a few things brought up...

Simone wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
EDIT: I forgot to mention that your feature suggestion to see what avatars are on each account has been noted and may be included for a future version of WhoM. Thank you for your suggestion!

Such a feature would be detrimental to the development of fan storylines, IMHO. It's hard enough already to make people interested in non-Cyan characters; knowing who owns which avatar would make it even harder to create believable and engaging IC events.

Please grow a sense of humor and then come back to this thread. That comment was not serious in any way shape or form.

Simone wrote:
Whatever, let's go back to WhoM. =)

Translation: I'm changing the topic because my argument was destroyed.

Teedyo wrote:
Surely you meant # rm -rf ./

I made no typo. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
*waves at Mac_Fife who appears to be being ignored by everyone else* :P

Now, back on topic with a serious question (and forgive the technofeeb speak, please): Is it possible to use this application without having access to the actual game on a particular computer if I have an account & avatar set up on another computer? For example: let's say I have the game on my home computer, but I would like to access my friends in the cavern on a laptop that's incapable of handling the game or on a work computer where it's not allowed. As long as I have the MOUL account and avatar, can I use this application on a different computer without the game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's right Tai'lahr. WhoM only requires a valid MOUL account that has avatar(s) on it and the .NET Framework 3.5, which pretty much everyone running a recent-ish Windows machine will have. All of your data (buddy list, avatars, KI images, etc.) is stored on the server, so WhoM isn't tethered to the computer that you play Uru from. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:39 am 

Well, since the OP apparently doesn't mind...

AdamJohnso wrote:
Simone wrote:
Quote:
EDIT: I forgot to mention that your feature suggestion to see what avatars are on each account has been noted and may be included for a future version of WhoM. Thank you for your suggestion!

Such a feature would be detrimental to the development of fan storylines, IMHO. It's hard enough already to make people interested in non-Cyan characters; knowing who owns which avatar would make it even harder to create believable and engaging IC events.

Please grow a sense of humor and then come back to this thread. That comment was not serious in any way shape or form.

The "thank you" was evidently humorous, the rest didn't seem quite so, but I'm not a native English speaker. Good to know that it was a joke, for once.

Quote:
Simone wrote:
Whatever, let's go back to WhoM. =)

Translation: I'm changing the topic because my argument was destroyed.

Allright. Next time I won't try and show respect for a discussion you started. By the way, I don't know what thread you've been reading, but my argument was clearly not "destroyed" in any way, therefore I had nothing more to say.

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

...anyway... :roll:

Adam: is it possible to list *everyone* that's currently in the cavern? Kinda like the old "who's online" pages for shards? One use for this could be to get a rough idea of how heavily populated the game is at any moment.

Another use could be to avoid entering the cavern whenever people-opposed-to-fan-created-tools-for-URU are present. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Simone wrote:
I'm not a native English speaker..

Oops! In that case, my comment was out of line. I know how difficult it is to understand sarcasm and other strange nuances of other languages. I guess this forum has conditioned me to expect stupid :\. I'm sorry for lashing out at you.

Robert wrote:
Adam: is it possible to list *everyone* that's currently in the cavern? Kinda like the old "who's online" pages for shards? One use for this could be to get a rough idea of how heavily populated the game is at any moment.

I have considered trying to list all the players that are online. In theory, it would be very easy to do. Unfortunately, there appears to be a bug in Cyan's servers (either that or some more security by obscurity) that only allows me to fetch one online player. Still, even one player is enough... I could loop through recent lists forever and discover everyone who is online, but I'm not willing to add that feature to WhoM because of the unnecessary load placed on the server.

A potential solution that I considered was maintaining a master list of who's online and grabbing that from WhoM... I dunno though. We'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've removed several posts that contributed to a continued derailment of this thread, despite my earlier request to refrain. Be assured that any more posts in the same vein will be treated likewise.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Adam, I have your tool installed on several of my computers and it is an awesome time saver when you are looking to see if one or more of your buddies is on. I can't wait for the improvements in your new version. Keep up the good work and I am anticipating great innovations from you and the other writers when we finally go OS. :wink:

KI # 00009577

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another really big announcement post...

WhoM 1.1 Final is Here!
Download here

WhoM 1.1 offers many improvements over the 1.0 release. New features include browsing your KI Mail and viewing the populations of public ages. Also, a lot of the junk in the trunk has been rewired so that the GUI no longer becomes unresponsive after changing tabs or downloading more data from the server. A slightly more complete changelog can be found below.

Code:
Changelog
    - Add Auth/File/Game/Gate Client callback registration
    - Add KI Mail Tab
    - Add Public Ages tab
    - Allow log configuration (MUd.conf)
    - Allow WhoM to run as an 64-bit application on 64-bit OSes
    - Blarg! (Lots of new code for connecting to Game Servers)
    - Cache shard list
    - Fix a possible exception in the exception handler
    - Refactor GUIs into a common library
    - Remove mutexes from GUI

Unfortunately, the feature I really wanted to add didn't make it into this release. Maybe next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, dear Adam... looks great, but it doesn't work yet... :P

The old version 1.0.1 works just fine , but when I log in with
the new one I get this crash dump message saying:

'Something terribly has gone wrong! Head for the cover!
In other words: The application visited December 23, 2012
A crash dump has been printed out for your convenience.
Please contact the developer with this information

[spoiler=Please have a look]Unhandled Exception
Program: MUd.WhoM
Version 1.1.0.28366

Exception Type: System.NullReferenceException
Exception Message: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
Exception Source: MUd.CommonUI

InnerException Type: (null)
InnerException Message: (null)

Stack Trace
bei MUd.ConnectForm.IBeginLoginProcess(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)[/spoiler]
Edit: Still running on WinXP SP3, dunno if that's relevant though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

It appears this error only happens on a fresh install. The new version runs on my machines but I was using the previous version so there were existing registry entries (logon, password, remember me, etc). I went into my registry and deleted the MUd key and when I attempted to run Ver 1.1 I duplicated the error you were getting. For now the workaround is to run the OLD version of the software and it will create the registry keys (at least it worked for me lol) that will carry over to Ver 1.1. When running the old version be sure to check Remember Me so additional registry key gets created. If you don't have the old version store user name and password, Ver 1.1 still fails when you run it.

I did notice that Ver 1.1 will not auto connect at startup even if that box is checked. I am sure Adam will work out the kinks. Thanks again for your hard work (in between classes) Adam!

KI # 00009577

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the bug report guys, I'll get a new version out that fixes those issues and a few others just as soon as I squash them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

WhoM 1.1.1
This release won't require you to run previous versions of the program first :). It also fixes a few KI Mail bugs and the autoconnect feature. Let me know if there are any more problems!

Code:
Changelog
    - Clear KI Mail on disconnect or avatar change
    - Fix a bug where the LogProcessor is not created properly
    - Fix a crash where the "RememberMe" value is not in the registry
    - Fix a crash where the user disconnects but WhoM is still downloading KI Mail
    - Fix a rare NullReferenceException in KI Mail
    - Make AutoConnect functional (again)
    - Save preferences from the Connect Window

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for squashing the bugs Adam. Seems to work fine now.

KI # 00009577

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next