It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:52 pm 

This from Microsoft appears to suggest that Revelation (from ubisoft) will work for Windows 7 64bit?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&type=Software&s=Myst%20exile&os=64-bit

Quote:
This particular Riven distribution has a journal bug though which makes it turn two pages at once. Whether or not you can control this depends on your own and your mouse's ability to send extremely short clicks.

A free program AutoHotKey I believe can send mouse clicks of any duration. It can do a lot of other things also.
-UPDATE- AutoHotKey doesn't appear to be able to specify duration. Isn't a mouse click a single signal, once the contact is made, the signal is the same whether you release immediately or hold it down?

Last edited by jonjan on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:33 pm 

The 5 CD set of Riven will not install on Win 7 64-bit. I believe the problem is the installer is a 16 bit program which is not compatible. I have heard that for versions of Win7 above Home Premium (Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise) one can install something called XP Mode which might solve this problem but I have not been able to test this myself.

RIven can be purchased from Steam and GOG.com that will run on the x64 version of Win 7 but many people have varying degrees of success getting the game to run without freezing/crashing problems and other minor glitches.

I do have the PoTS expansion of Uru:ABM running on 64bit (including mods that I shall not discuss further).

I just installed Myst V but have not actually run it yet... I have to dig up that patch for the init files that Chogon posted somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:07 am 
Obduction Backer

@ johnsojc

The file you need are zipped here: http://cho.cyan.com/patches/Myst5InitFiles.zip Works for both Vista and Win7. Instructions in a ReadMe file in the zip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 am 
Obduction Backer

jonjan wrote:
Quote:
This particular Riven distribution has a journal bug though which makes it turn two pages at once. Whether or not you can control this depends on your own and your mouse's ability to send extremely short clicks.

A free program AutoHotKey I believe can send mouse clicks of any duration. It can do a lot of other things also.
-UPDATE- AutoHotKey doesn't appear to be able to specify duration. Isn't a mouse click a single signal, once the contact is made, the signal is the same whether you release immediately or hold it down?

A mouse click is two signals. The "button down" signal and the "button up" signal. Riven has the feature that it automatically leafs through journals when you hold down the left mouse button. Apparently its definition of "holding down" is set to a rather short interval between the down and up signals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:20 am 

Oh then AutoHotKey possibly could help, since it can send a single "click". Click & Hold is a separate command.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:20 am 

HenryMikel wrote:
@ johnsojc

The file you need are zipped here: http://cho.cyan.com/patches/Myst5InitFiles.zip Works for both Vista and Win7. Instructions in a ReadMe file in the zip.

I ran that patch to no avail. I found that same patch on forums outside of this one. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 and still have had no luck running it. (And yes, I read the instructions that came with it.)

So it goes back in my pile of software in case I ever have a chance to run a second XP computer. The virutal XP shell that Microsoft Offers is a total scam -- don't waste your money or time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:07 am 
Obduction Backer

heimdall wrote:
HenryMikel wrote:
@ johnsojc

I ran that patch to no avail. I found that same patch on forums outside of this one. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 and still have had no luck running it. (And yes, I read the instructions that came with it.)

For most people this patch does work on both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista and Windows 7. Actually this is the first time I have heard of a failure. Although technically it is not a patch since it requires a manual installation and some computer savvyness. (but if you are THE heimdall from the Ubi forums we can safely rule out a user error. :wink: )

However, there may be a problem with this patch if your system does not support a screen resolution of 1680x1050 because that is what it tries to default to. In that case I would expect a different error message though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:55 pm 

In my case, there isn't an error popup. The intro Ubisoft and Cyan Worlds animations run. Then I get to the "choose new game" screen. Just when I think I'm actually going to start the game... all black. I wait. Black screen. I click the black screen. More black screen. I waited 10 minutes and came back. More black screen. I pressed escape and thought I saw the flicker of the infamous crash dump popup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

The patch solves a problem which prevents Myst V from starting up at all. Clearly that initial start works so you must have a different problem. Have you tried changing the graphics settings before beginning a new game? Under "Options" in the same screen where you can click "New".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:09 am 

I tried changing the graphics settings and it didn't work.

The last variable is the graphics card. It's the integrated video chip that came with the computer. Maybe it's not good enough. Strange, because it's good enough for everything else. That upgrade will have to wait until I pay off all my other bills.

Post subject: Myst 4 on windows 7
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:20 pm 

Hey,
I have recently bought a windows 7 desktop an I want to play Revelation
Installed it, without problems, but when I run it, it shows the image of the main menu (but then in a window), then the sreen flashes black and then the following error shows:
Quote:
DirectX cannot create the device for Ares. Get sure your desktop is in 32 bits mode (the only bit depth supported by this version of Ares).
Try setting your desktop in 32 bits now.

Filename:\Myst4\grafpic\ares\private\directx\src\ares\api_device.cpp
LineNo: 306

Press 'Retry to debug

there are 3 buttons 'abort' 'retry' 'ignore'
if I press Ignore I get the same message but with 'LineNo 317'
The other option will cause the application to stop working.

any help appreciated

roeiboot4

and always remember: D'ni has fallen, but we will not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm assuming that you only have the Windows 7 default DirectX 11. DirectX 9 will run in parallel and you can download that - via dxwebsetup.exe - from the microsoft website. I think Revelation's API calls should work then.

The download will give you the DirectX 9.29 SDK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:25 am 

no, still gives the same error
but when i updated my video drivers, It suddenly worked well

but thanks for your advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:32 pm 

now the problem is that i can't change the resolution of the game
it is set to 640*480 and that is way to low
When I try to move to 1024*768 it jumps back to 640*480
So i went into the system files (detect_config.ini), tried to change the resolution but then windows says the acces is denied.
What can I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm 
Are you going via the Control Panel in the Start menu?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next