It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:24 am 

Putting my vote in for an Android version of Myst as well. It's a growing platform on phones extending across all major carriers, and with 2.2 coming, SD card memory will become available for applications.

It definitely seems like a large enough market to warrant consideration, at very least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:27 pm 

Clone2727, of the ScummVM project, is already well on the way to making it support both Myst and Riven; ScummVM, in turn, runs on just about anything, including Android (though I gather the Android port is still a bit shaky at present).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Just got myself a HTC Desire, running Android 2.1. I'm not sure when we'll get the update to 2.2, but count me in as a tester if/when Myst can be ported to Android! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

actually Both Myst and Riven was out for pocket PC years ago. an android port should be simple enough, considering iOS is a lot harder and far more restrictive to program for.

anyway i vote for android too.

about android not being able to run from SD cards, that was eliminated with android 2.2 froyo

~static~ bring! me the RElto pages~static~

Last edited by larsdidriksen on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

regarding scummVM. ehh that is for games running "Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion" a Lucasarts engine used in maniac mansion, day of the tentacle etc. NOT Myst or Riven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:37 am 
Obduction Backer

larsdidriksen wrote:
an android port should be simple enough, considering iOS is a lot harder […] to program for.

I’m curious, what do you find hard about programming for iOS? I have no experience with Android, but I find iOS pretty easy and fun to program for. If Android is still a lot easier, it must be a veritable paradise! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:10 am 
Obduction Backer

larsdidriksen wrote:
regarding scummVM. ehh that is for games running "Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion" a Lucasarts engine used in maniac mansion, day of the tentacle etc. NOT Myst or Riven.

Sorry, but that's wrong. The Mohawk engine is in the development trunk of ScummVM and both Myst and Riven are playable (and completable on several paths). It is not finished, but support is there and is making progress.

On a related note, ScummVM has not been limited to LucasArts games for many years. It now includes support for the AGI and some SCI Sierra games, as well as many different adventure games from a variety of developers. ScummVM, despite its initial intent has become a wide platform for point-and-click adventure games of all kinds.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

i never said it was limited to lucasarts games, just that it uses the "Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion" engine. kind of like how a lot of games use the Unreal engine.
original Myst and Riven used Hypercard and Mohawk, i still rebemmer editing the mohawk file to get riven to play under winXP.
But you are right. Aparently there was a dev team that added support for Myst and Riven, version numbers were not specified though. and the pocket version of ScummVM does not support yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:21 am 

Count me in for MYST for Android. I'd love to see it on my phone :). Ditto for Riven, and Stoneship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:12 am 

Christian Walther wrote:
larsdidriksen wrote:
an android port should be simple enough, considering iOS is a lot harder […] to program for.

I’m curious, what do you find hard about programming for iOS? I have no experience with Android, but I find iOS pretty easy and fun to program for. If Android is still a lot easier, it must be a veritable paradise! :)

Never underestimate man's ability to have no idea what he's talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:30 am 
Obduction Backer

I was trying to put it a bit more diplomatically. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:22 am 
Obduction Backer

sorry i dident see that post. and i must admit its been a while since i coded for iphone, but while i do appreciate C, I'm use to C++ and the Object C language used in the SDK just gives me a headache. the SDK wont let me use JIT (just in time) or any clientside compiler. If i want to add a help file i need to embed it in the app since the multitasking on iphone is a nightmare. . While i was programming for the Iphone the da.. NDA was still in effect, it basically restricted me from discussing My own code online, so if i needed help i couldn't ask any forum. the SDK wasent some beta back then, i mean iphone 3G was out.

@Lars Nordstrom. that remark is offensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mod Note:
Please be careful of making posts which could be construed as trolling or abusive (Forum Policy III). I'm going to let it ride this time because replies have already been made, and frankly I don't need the hassle of removing and/or editing several posts right now, just to get the thread cleaned up.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:17 pm 

I too would love to see Myst and Riven being released via the android market or direct from the cyan website for the android 2.2 and upwards platform.

I have recently purchased a new android phone, my second, and the hardware is improving greatly and in some ways on par or beyond the iphone. I think Cyan may be mising a big opportunity to get in there first before many other developers. The platform is growing fast support and people are hungry for quality entertainment on their handsets and tend to pounce in mass numbers for anything new and decent.
For example a game featuring birds, which you may or may not have heard of, came out and apparently got 2 million downloads in a couple of days.
If myst / riven could get that kind of attention that would be fantastic. Games can now be stored on memory cards with android 2.2 so space is no longer an issue.

Also it looks to me that they would have a choice of two revenue generating models, one being an actual charge to download or alternatively the advert version. not sure if I would want to walk around myst island seeing adverts.

I am assuming cyan is probably considering the new windows mobile platform and maybe that would be easy to convert the games over to, I really have no idea how that stuff works, but please dont ignore the android platform. Please say its in the pipeline :)

I think someone should start a vote thread which mobile platform do you want to see riven on for example and see what response we get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:17 am 

I have an Android with 2.1 soon to be 2.2.

It wants Myst and soon to be Riven on it badly.

To make the experience better, my particular handset has a 4inch screen just begging for the luch visuals which is Myst and Riven. One question, the resolution with most Android phones are 800x480 which is shy of Apple's Retina display so Cyan would have to consider this.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next