It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Congratulations to everyone who's been working on this! It's tremendous news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
...Open Uru is an inclusive concept of a community of creative talent and hard work coming together
to make new worlds, new stories, and new content - now able to openly use and develop the CyanWorlds.com Engine
to empower it. The OpenUru.org team presently consists of JWPlatt, Mac_Fife, rarified, a'moaca' and cjkelly1 and Chogon.
It is hoped that others will join to lead these efforts in the infinite possibilities of Open Uru.

And we cannot thank you all enough for those huge and tireless efforts and accomplishments, and Cyan Worlds
for the confidence and support as far as feasible and maintainable, I'm so glad... Without you guys there's no
progress and advancement... no future... haha... Yeah, it is good that the wait is finally over...
Congrats and a big thumbsup... :P

This is not all and everything that can be achieved, but it is a mighty step forward, which is promising and paving the
way into a real future for MOUL/Uru, the whole D'niverse and thus us the explorers and all the talented and creative age
builders and other great talents and geniuses in our community...

Thanks again all... Shorah and off we go! ... /wave... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Correction -- JWPlatt doesn't just rock, you all rock! All of you open sourcers are stars in my book.

And yes, when you get around to it, and only, only when you get around to it -- I'm begging you, fix the dancing. Second Life (I know, boo, hiss) has a bunch of dances that are, well, really nice. I know we can't do it like Second Life does it, but the idea that I might not look like a refugee from the olden days when I dance -- it's a thrilling thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:35 am 
Obduction Backer

This really is wonderful news. I haven't been in the open source loop, but I am thrilled!

A story: CavernScents Journey

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Greetings,

It is likely that the Guild of Writers will announce later today a branch or fork from the CyanWorlds.com Engine. Not to worry. This happens all the time in an open source community. In fact, branches happen every day to test bug fixes and new features. These branches can be merged back into the main branch when the changes are stable. We chose to use the Mercurial repository for the CyanWorlds.com Engine to make these events easy and promote development and innovation. There is a long road ahead and this is just the beginning.

Branan has been talking with us about how best to work their process into the workflow at OpenUru.org. That is ongoing. He has posted the intention to "break compatibility," meaning add features that are not supported by MOULa, but develop conversion tools. It would be difficult to make improvements without extending the engine. The details remain to be seen how this will work towards getting your new ages onto MOSS and Cyan's MOULa server. It is our hope at OpenUru.org that this will be done in the community spirit to benefit everyone who has dreamed all these years of seeing new content come to MOULa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:39 pm 

2.5 hours. We'll be ready to talk about things in 2.5 hours (that's 7:00 PM GMT, noon US pacific time).

Anyone who's been paying attention to the wiki changes and IRC chat will have known this is coming - it's not exactly a huge secret. That being said, it would have been since to have been allowed to announce this properly, instead of having our thunder stolen.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
That being said, it would have been since to have been allowed to announce this properly, instead of having our thunder stolen.

Agreed, you know, in the spirit of community and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:28 pm 

Indeed. It seems to me rather slimy of you to announce this for the GoW, Platt. I was going to focus my work more on conforming to the CWE, but not if this is how you're going to behave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:19 pm 

Like I said in the other thread: Uru development is srs bzns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:13 am 
Obduction Backer

You're forking the code? Forking Cyan's code? GASP! I mean, sure we knew we'd get it to play with and modify, but people just expected bugfixes. Actual new features.. next thing you'll be rewriting designs and throwing out some of the decade-old-cruft! HORRORS! :shock:

Naturally I'm joking. Finally, we're going to see something.. Cyan hasn't had the chance to do much, although MQO did add a little new stuff to the aging engine. I was waiting for someone to go ahead and admit they're going to take that engine and finally start using what open source truly means.
Heck, maybe at some point Cyan's code won't be the main one used by the community, with some unified design that could "emulate" a Cyan-official branch by disabling features/content/etc after checking what's what. Really, I'm now getting excited to see where the talented coders start taking things. :D

MOULa KI: #00027582
Welcome back all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm surprised nobody mentioned, the GoW announcement is now posted here: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24565

I can't speak for others, but I would like to see further discussion about the GoW's vision and approach to the CWE carried out in that thread (rather than this one).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:26 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Atlantis - A Public MOSS Shard

Greetings,

MercAngel is the first I know of to open a public open source MOSS shard for testing of fan ages. The shard forum for instructions and support is here:
http://atlantis.servegame.org/forums/index.php

You can check for a current list of open source shards here on our wiki page:
http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... Shard_List

If you have an open source shard using any server, please add it to the page rather than comment here.

There is also an OpenUru.org forum thread to announce MOSS shards here:
http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=554 (MOSS Test Shards)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:48 pm 

JWPlatt wrote:
Atlantis - A Public MOSS Shard
MercAngel is the first I know of to open a public open source MOSS shard for testing of fan ages. The shard forum for instructions and support is here:
http://atlantis.servegame.org/forums/index.php

Could we mirror those instructions somewhere else? (like maybe a wiki page on the shard on OpenUru.org) If one doesn't have a forum account, one can't see that page link.

Furthermore, since without an account my only info about the shard is what you said and what Openuru.org says "Testing of Fan Ages, (Client, Or Python only a few can do this) - Cyan content (not served, as per license restrictions)", which I might add mean nothing to the non-technical Uru fan, I honestly have no idea as an end user what this server does. :lol:

Short summary for those out of the loop? Seems silly to announce it in this thread only to force every member of this board to register yet another account on some random forum just to see if the server is even playable by normal players. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

I do not see the Shards & forums being an open free for all with the 'blackhats' running a muck. It is expected folks will protect their Forums & Shards & servers. If you want to play or test bad enough you will jump through the same hoops the rest of us do. It is expected some shards will not be suitable for the casual player. I can not speak for Merc or his forum & Shard & server. Join his forum an talk with Merc your self like the rest of us have done and you will know what is and what is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:32 pm 

Well, it seems Atlantis is a private shard and the web site is non-existent and the forum is ONLY visible if you sign up. There is no information available until one does. So, not very welcoming.

That is OK if that is what the shard and forum owner want. I consider it a shard for friends that know what is going on. I suspect that if people don't know who is doing what, some number will decline to signup.

If the shard operator and forum owner want more people in the shard, it needs to be a bit more welcoming. If they don't, its fine as it is.

Having dealt with the ID theft, password predictor schemes, and other abusive software on the Internet I want to know about anything I load into my computer or signup for. Anyone that does not use unique passwords for every site puts all the sites at risk that use similar ID's and passwords. Is Atlantis a risk? Probably not. But there is nothing to tell anyone either way.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next