It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unanswered Questions
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

So, just before the Bahro thread gets locked, what I consider to be a good question gets asked.

Asked by Nye_Sigmund:

Quote:
Now that internal clients can be built for free, and it will probably be months until we see server code, and even then probably a short while before we see fixes that lock down the shenanigans on the MOULa server proper, what's the code of conduct? Is testing a fan age too much?

Perhaps this is a discussion for the Open Source board but I figured this is a good place to start since the topic is right below this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is always good to think and discuss about it.
So therefore I will move this to the Open Source section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:31 pm 

Running custom content in general shouldn't break things. The key take aways are "in general" and "shouldn't". It would be safer if everyone setup MOSS and/or DirtSand servers. Obviously that's not an option for everyone interested in working on custom content.

My suggestion is to avoid running anything on Cyan's servers if you don't have at least a few months of behind-the-scenes Plasma experience under your belt. Internally, the Grey Hats have basically two questions we ask ourselves: "Will this crash the game?" "Will this cause gameplay issues for people not involved in the test/event?". If you don't have the knowledge to answer those questions, you shouldn't be doing any development on Cyan's MOULagain server.

At some point, the GoW will have a development shard available for writers and artists to test things out on. This is still something that's in the early planning stages - server (in)stability is a serious concern in such a setup, and we'll need to find ways to handle it gracefully.

EDIT: And of course Cyan's TOS comes into play. Running custom content is likely a violation of them, but of course many of those terms are suspended in The Fun House.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]