It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Recent Urwin sightings
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:15 pm 

Has anybody recently camped out in Negilahn or Payiferen long enough to see one since the recent build update? I must confess the many times Ive gone looking for them I have ended up becoming distracted. One time I even fell asleep right there in the pod! Any fellow Urwin enthusiasts out there?

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've managed to catch the Urwin once or twice before just minutes before the portal arrives. i think the trick is to activate the correct animal call to attract it around that time. it'll wander about as you observe it but it'll wander off just before the portal appears. it's ellusive. the pod blocks many of the views of it, but it'll wander from window to window. just try your best to determine what window it'll appear at next. it's noisey. it's call is loud and it's footsteps are heavier than t-rex.

the monkey in Negilahn, however, i've encountered that too, but i've never seen it. it's loud so i know it's there. it's attracted in a similar fashion as the Urwin as far as i can tell. i think it's high up and fast, making it harder to track through the windows than the Urwin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:51 pm 

[Removed for supposedly being off-topic]

Last edited by johnsojc on Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:16 pm 

They show up, when they show up. I was just wondering if anybody else has seen them recently [spoiler](I am fully aware of the mechanics of how to trigger the sightings. That is not the purpose of this thread, it's purely for fun :P)[/spoiler]

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Does anyone know if playing the call actually has any effect on whether or no the wildlife? I knew that that was the intention but I remembered reading that it wasn't actually hooked up.

so you think I'd understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:33 am 

Yeah unfortunately the calls dont do anything. Negilahn is actually a very old Age and was in some of the promos for the original Uru Live way back in the early days (including a shot of it from outside the pod). It was never finished back then and was kind of intended to be a work in progress when it was released during the Gametap days. That's probably why the story of its population being reduced due to attacks was born. I'm willing to bet that had things continued during the GT days we would have seen more and more additions to Negilahn including the other wildlife on the chart and the calls actually doing something.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:33 am 

Yeah nothing we do will bring them out.

I find getting in the Pod about half hour before the portal opening gives me a better chance of seeeing the Urwin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've been in the pods a lot lately doing research and have seen it several times. They say they mate for life and are often seen in pairs, has anyone seen a breeding pair? Funny thing, whenever I try to take a screenshot I will have a full view of him but when I check my shot, he's behind a tree. :cry: Gonna try to combo jump out that crack in the roof and get out there to get a better shot. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:15 pm 

Do make sure and post if you manage to catch any shots of them together Miranda :D

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Negilahn creature is called an Urwin, right? So what is that creature in Payiferen called?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:21 pm 

Technically all the pods are on the same planet so it stands to reason that the Payiferen bird is also an Urwin or a subspecies of Urwin, though some fans have affectionately dubbed it a "sandscrit" as an obvious pun on the desert area and the ancient writing form Sanskrit.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Loshem wrote:
Technically all the pods are on the same planet so it stands to reason that the Payiferen bird is also an Urwin or a subspecies of Urwin, though some fans have affectionately dubbed it a "sandscrit" as an obvious pun on the desert area and the ancient writing form Sanskrit.

To be accurate: it's actually called a sandscrit because that's what Cyan named it within their files. So Sandscrit would be the correct name for it. Though there's no way of knowing if that's the D'ni name for it however. You'd have to ask RAWA about that. But the Cyan name for the Payiferen creature is a Sandscrit, it wasn't named by the fans.

Of note: Direbo was another age that at one point had an Urwin. So they were apparently not native to Negilahn. Or were, but were later transported over to Direbo by the D'ni.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:01 pm 

ChloeRhodes wrote:
Of note: Direbo was another age that at one point had an Urwin. So they were apparently not native to Negilahn. Or were, but were later transported over to Direbo by the D'ni.

Just so that I don't misunderstand you (i'm not saying you are wrong, because I don't know)
But when you say Direbo, do you mean this?:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:53 am 

I stand corrected. I thought it was something similar to the "keanulints" of Kemo.. which were named by fans for their similarity to the creature inside Keanu Reeves in the first of The Matrix films.

Yes, the Direbo files do imply that the Urwin was at one time going to be a part of that age but Myst V is technically non-cannon with regards to Uru even though much of it was intended for Uru. I'd even go so far as to say that Direbo may have been partially constructed from a re-textured version of Negilahn since it would save time and energy to modify an existing age rather than make a new one from scratch. That's only speculation of course.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
ChloeRhodes wrote:

Just so that I don't misunderstand you (i'm not saying you are wrong, because I don't know)
But when you say Direbo, do you mean this?:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Yep. That direbo. Loshem is correct in that it's a possibility that it's there simply because Cyan reused parts of Negilahn for that age. But that's something you'd have to ask Cyan.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live