It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:09 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:42 pm 

Main_Avvie wrote:
is it click and drag to pan or by moving the cursor to the edges of the screen? or otherwise?

Generally you hold down the left mouse button and you can rotate the camera around the player(Though in some games this can make the player walk instead). The right mouse button would move the camera and player around(With horizontal mouse movement). Holding down both mouse buttons would allow you to move the character forward(Where the player and camera rotate based on the horizontal mouse movement).

The exact functions of each of the two mouse buttons can differ. But its the same idea with all modern MMO's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
The camera moves with your mouse--no panning no edge moving. Just circle around the avatar with mouse movements.

Works best when you have to click and hold, otherwise your camera is flying all over when you twitch your mouse. *turns green*

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Don't play Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, then. The default camera sensitivity is crazy sensitive. I made a broad gesture the first time I played the game--big mistake ;). Fortunately, most games allow panning or have mouse sensitivity turned down fairly low :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:00 pm 

How about an Open Source.exe file that installs itself, for people like me who think a server is someone in a restaurant who brings the pizza you ordered :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:21 pm 

Karkadann wrote:
How about an Open Source.exe file that installs itself, for people like me who think a server is someone in a restaurant who brings the pizza you ordered :D

((Open Source != Server) and (Open Source != Installation)).Stucuk is confused. I assume its some kind of joke, but it makes no sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

another suggestion would be to make uru feel less "look, don't touchy" in general somehow. i know that's been par for the course in myst games and that's served it well enough in the past. i liked how dynamic Revelations was and how so much could be done with the disembodied hand so fluidly. that's the only one that came close. URU is a step above however. there's plenty of levers to pull, buttons to push and all, but that's really only when it's necessary to solve a puzzle (or open a door) i'm talking items to collect and display that have some practical function in the game. dialog options to choose from. no, i'm not suggesting URU have npc's. but perhaps something like holograms players could converse with? they could give directions, offer hints, character bio's, game updates, story synopses, brief histories, the like. perhaps even the Ki could have an AI that would offer hints and info? (with the option to be disabled of course) these are just examples, really. but look at mass market games such as A list RPGs. there's characters to talk to, objects to examine, items to find, etc. URU is more like a museum. pretty to look at but not too many things to touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:09 am 

Considering that Cyans Plan for URU was to have Live Actors in the game, it doesn't sound like a bad idea to have NPC's, considering that its unlikely there would ever be Live Actors in MOULa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Actually, there were live actors in Prologue and during the GameTap era. Players could - and did! - interact with the members of the the DRC, as well as Douglas Sharper and Phil Henderson. There was even some (albeit limited) interaction with the bahro!

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Karaoke TOOO 816776

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:54 am 

Stucuk wrote:
Considering that Cyans Plan for URU was to have Live Actors in the game, it doesn't sound like a bad idea to have NPC's, considering that its unlikely there would ever be Live Actors in MOULa.

I'd personally rather see more encouragement of actual roleplaying on the part of the players. This is something that Cyan's actors helped foster, but in the end the player interactions with those actors are what really drove things. There's no real reason for those actors to be required, though.

I think some people avoid such story in the absence of Cyan's actors because they worry about stepping on Cyan's toes. But we all need to remember that Cyan always intended players to help direct the story through their actions and their own personal stories. It's kind of unfortunate that some of that player interaction has been lost.

Or perhaps its just less aparent in a less crowded cavern, and there's secret groups of roleplayers that I don't know about.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:28 pm 

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
I'd personally rather see more encouragement of actual roleplaying on the part of the players.

At the very least NPC's could be used to help inform people of things that have happened in the past or to teach people how the world works. Quite a few MMO's for example use NPC's to tell the player how the world works based on dialogues with them(The best ones give you a list of questions to pick from). They are a good fallback.

NPC's are not better than dedicated players, but dedicated players can not be around 24/7 in every instance on every shard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

To be honest I had always thought that it might be interesting to employ bots, like OHBot, in limited NPC roles, though I don;t know whether that's at all feasible or not.

so you think I'd understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:37 am 

Jevasi wrote:
To be honest I had always thought that it might be interesting to employ bots, like OHBot, in limited NPC roles, though I don;t know whether that's at all feasible or not.

What benefit would bots have that NPC's wouldn't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:36 am 
Obduction Backer

my suggestion about NPC's was more an example really... personally, i'd be against NPC's in URU. Zandi is the only one (and the only exception) unless you count Yeesha but she did have a live actor iirc in addition to her holograms and recorded messages. which are just that... not "her". we're witnessing a record of her. URU is not the kind of game that would attempt to pass off an NPC as being "real"

that is why i suggested some sort of AI in the form of holograms... the only example i can think of that anyone might share any familiarity with are the Avena holographic AI computers on the Citadel metropolis in the Mass Effect games. they take the form of holographic women that residents and visitors of the Citadel can pose questions to. they're an AI computer designed to offer directions, give local info, and issue advisories. they also serve to orient players and players may direct their character to interact with them in conversation. in URU a similar concept may be used to orient new players and detail new content as it becomes available such as newly open city areas or info on current events... this would seem preferable as they wouldn't be "people" and wouldn't seem out of place in URU as far as i'm concerned...

that is of course assuming that NPCs are worthwhile anyway... my initial suggestion was just that something be done to make URU feel less hands off...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next