It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nice Age. My only problem so far is the spaceship: it makes a round-tour with me, back to the starting platform. If I try to get out earlier and I touch the door, I fall out --> panic link back to Relto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:12 am 

I think the space ship stops for a short time at the second location but I guess you havta be watching for it. In the mean time I fell out of the spaceship, managed to catch my self before I panic-linked and was chasing the ship threw space, when I saw it turn a 180 near a second dock

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hint by Wamduskasapa on the GoW forums for all experiencing this (as of the Rocket/space ship) and he said:

I hope that some will read it here and spread the word... There you go! ...

[spoiler]When you get into the Rocket watch out of the porthole by the door. At first the rocket flies straight and level.
Then it noses over into a shallow dive to pass some Nebulae. Then it noses into a steep dive to aline with the
landing dock. As soon as you see the dock pass the porthole head out of the Rocket-ship's door into the landing
dock[/spoiler]
Enjoy ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

A clarification on the forum policies regarding fan ages and other creative works:

The presentation of fan creativity on these forums is welcome provided that the copyrights of Cyan and of any other rights holders are observed. There are many ways in which images of a fan age could be rendered and so long as they are not obviously the result of e.g. using an unauthorised UU shard, and that the posts avoid making reference to the use of hacked products or tools known to be used in hacking of products other than MOUL, then those posts are OK.

If all threads on fan ages/fan art are presented like this one has been so far, then the moderators are unlikely to see any problem. :)

Note: If you are in any doubt, please ask a moderator for advice prior to posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

veralun wrote:
If all threads on fan ages/fan art are presented like this one has been so far, then the moderators are unlikely to see any problem. :)
Note: If you are in any doubt, please ask a moderator for advice prior to posting.

Exactly! Thanks Veralun.

We definitely want to see new and original content like this! And is one of the reasons we wanted to open source MOULa.
Even though I would prefer that new content be using the MOULa software, I do understand that there has to be a transition from Uru:CC to MOULa - which does takes time and resources (BTW, there is some people that are pretty good at converting Uru:CC content into MOULa content).
So, I will allow (which could be overturned by higher ups at Cyan) a link to be posted in these forums that point to somewhere on the Guild of Writers, Guild of Maintainers, OpenUru.org or Guild of Messengers sites - of how to load and play these new and original content (hopefully with enough warnings that it is not for the technically faint of heart). And I restrict it to these web sites only as they will be vigil in making sure that what is posted on their sites has been tested and does not compromise any copyrighted content.

I would like to make a distinction here - using or recreating Cyan's content outside of MOULa Open Source, such as with a different 3D engine or game engine (commercial engines or non-commercial engines) is still prohibited. Please contact [email protected] for any questions or clarifications.

Thanks,
Chogon

Added: One of the people that is really good at converting Uru:CC Ages into MOULa Ages is Andy Legate. I didn't want to mention his name until I talked to him.

Last edited by Chogon on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:07 pm 

Hmmmmmmmmm.......

I see some tutorials being made by me soon on this subject........

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ahhh ... sounds good ... Thanks, for the clarification of this delicate matter ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 pm 

I know nothing of how to create or any of what is talked about, just a 100% fan and see something I can play and ask how to get to it. I do not want to cause any trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

andylegate wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmm.......

I see some tutorials being made by me soon on this subject........

I look forward to them. Too bad I don't use 3DS Max though...

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:27 am 

Unfortunately, at present time, Max will be required for conversion of any Fan Ages that were originally made for POTS (aka Uru:CC) to MOUL type of format.

The good news, is that before, everyone was limited to using Max 7.0 or 8.0 (Cyan's plugin works with both, confirmed by me), and of course neither version was available anymore. But now with the Open Source license problem taken care of, there is a modified version of the plugin for later versions of Max, which are available (IE Max 2010, 2011, and 2012).

If you are fortunate enough to have Max (even the student version), the plugin will export automatically for MOUL format, so no conversion is required for any Age exported from Max for use on a MOUL type of shard.

From what I have been told, the fan plugin for the new generation of Blender can also export for MOUL format (the old fan plugin for Blender 2.49b and earlier does not), however, that plugin is not finished at this time.

There is a way to "convert" Ages that fans have made with Blender 2.49b and exported with the old plugin (and trust me, there is a LOT of Fan Ages out there. Lots of them!), but it is not anything simple, will require a lot of work, and yes, I'm afraid will take the use of 3ds Max and Cyan's Plugin.

Basically, a fan must take what they have made in Blender 2.49b, and export it to FBX format. Either the whole scene can be exported at once, or it can be broken down into several files.
Then those FBX files must be converted to the correct FBX version that Max can import (7, 8 ,9, 2010, 2011, and 2012 all import different FBX versions), and is done by a program free from Autodesk.

Once the scene has been imported in to Max, unfortunately all the objects will have to have their materials reapplied. All animations have to be done again, and all of the "wiring" of the Age must be applied again (wiring is like making things that you can click on, doors, buttons, levers. Journals, linking books, etc, etc). Then it can finally be exported from Max as an Age, and is exported at MOUL format of course.

As you can see, the work to convert is almost as much as making the Age from scratch in the first place in some ways. In others it can be faster as you already have all the objects made, and you know what needs to be wired up.

It would be a lot easier to have the old fan plugin for Blender 2.49b be able to export for MOUL format, or for a conversion program to be made (we already have one of those to convert what Max exports from MOUL to be used with CC, but I can't go into that here on this forum, check out the GoW forum for more info on that).

Whether or not this gets done is not up to me. There are only a handful of Devs that know how to change the old fan plugin, are working on the new plugin for the new Blender, and their time and availability is limited.

I am painfully aware of the fact that Blender is free, while Max is not (except the Trial version, and then you only have 30 days.....not enough time for many to do anything).

So until people out there can come up with a way for Ages made with Blender to either get converted by a Fan Tool, or change the old plugin, we're stuck doing it the hard way.

That said: I offer my services to help out, since I have Max, am rather well versed in using Max with Plasma (among other games, heh), and making things compatible for the MOUL environment (MOUL with PhysX has some quirks that can ruin your whole day, such as making a door way suddenly not open anymore, or players walking through walls that were working before, sounds suddenly not working anymore, all sorts of pesky little gremlins).

The only Plasma based project that I'm currently working on is for the Boy Scouts of America, and is a private, long term project. So I have time to help anyone that is interested, and doesn't have Max (or are having issues trying to use it).

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:47 am 
Obduction Backer

andylegate wrote:
Whether or not this gets done is not up to me. There are only a handful of Devs that know how to change the old fan plugin, are working on the new plugin for the new Blender, and their time and availability is limited.

This is unfortunate. One full export tool is all we Blender users need. Until PyPRP2 is complete are you suggesting that if we ask Max devs nicely they might help us convert our new ages? If so this is great news since I just recently started age writing in Blender. Fun times! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:40 am 

Quote:
This is unfortunate. One full export tool is all we Blender users need. Until PyPRP2 is complete are you suggesting that if we ask Max devs nicely they might help us convert our new ages? If so this is great news since I just recently started age writing in Blender. Fun times!

Uuuuuhhhhmmmmmm......okay, let me tell a little story:

Back prior to Nov. 2007, I helped set up the Maintainers Guild. One of the things we thought we could use would be "Training Ages", to help people learn how to find and test for bugs.

One of the things I did was go over to the GoW and put in a request for Ages.

I was politely told that the GoW is not MacDonalds or Burger King, and was not a place to to order up some Ages like a drive through. heh.

They were correct of course. Age creation is very time consuming, and many people had their own projects they were working (not to mention the plugin at the time was limited in a lot of ways, like no sounds, no animations, no realistic water, etc, etc).

So just please keep in mind that while I'm offering to help, I'm not sure how many other Max users are willing to be (they do have their own projects to work on, and of course limited time in most cases, not self employed like I am), nor how many other Max users their are.
Asking nicely is a great idea, just remember you may or may not get a response right away (you can use the time to refine things in your Age or add stuff), or if it's me, I might ask you to take a number and wait if too many ask, heh.

A lot of this could be solved if there was a converter already, or plugin for Blender that could do it, but for now many of the people that work on this stuff are busy with the CWE build (which is kinda funny in a ironic way, in sort of a Chicken Or The Egg deal: You need the game engine....but the engine needs your content! See? Right now they are pretty much devoting time to the engine/server software.), and that's okay in a way, because you'll need a MOUL environment to test your export.
I'm sure it will work out in the end (I hope! :D )

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Ah, I understand: GoW=Wal*Mart, not GoW=Burger King. :D For now I'm going to focus on finding out the quirks of writing and export to older versions of Uru. Plus, I'm not into age creation all the time. I like exploring a lot more than creating. On the other hand, I do like what I've done with my Pahts shell. Hopefully though, when Pahts is converted to CWE, my shell can be too.