It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:05 pm 

Since I started this thread, still a noob to jumping, I have found so much more.

It seems the timings (durations) I hold down either the jump (space bar), or the shift (run) keys make a fairly large difference on distances and heights attained.

When I first mastered the simple combo, I then had to deal with the climbing combo. There are several places where the system reaction is different. The method for climbing the pillars is different than the method for climbing the lamp in the Foyer for instance. Sam pace, but differences in space bar and shift key timings. I had originally thought about writing a hot key script to deal with the long climbs. But I learned the rhythm faster than I learned how to write hot key scripts.

So now I find a whole slew of variations on the basic jumps, and dispare....do I have enough time left in my life (or in the current run of MOULA) to ever figure them all out.

But the thing that bugs me most is that I can not zip more than 15 steps down the stairway. :(

For the less experienced. I find that amongst the several types of player made marker games, the main 2 are the aiming games, and the jumping games. Sometimes when I log in, I find that I can not do the aiming games right. Maybe it is a function of how the game loaded into my memory, or how far apart on my hard disk the file loaded its multi-sectors this time which could effect timing critical for combo's. Possibly affected by what programs still populate sections of memory at any particular point in time.

I sort of think I have a marginal system with a performance rating (WIN 7) of only 3.1. This could be more important than I think it is.

Post subject: Combo jump and alike?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:59 pm 

I use a trackball mouse from Logitech. :shock: What? I have wireless and wired mouse versions. :roll:
It's a mouse that you use your thumb on a ball to navigate with and has regular 2 keys with often now standard middle wheel scroll/ roll button for scroll zoom views in and out and push down backs your avatar up. (assigned)
Use Left button walk and both buttons to run.
I found that timing and right place matter to get a combo jump to work. 8)
I test first to see if a walk jump at the object produces any kind of hang to my avatar.
Same as the technique used to climb the tunnel rock center in Tokotah courtyard.
You jump up and your avatar hangs and starts to slide down and you keep jumping up with waits in between.
Combo jumps are often the same. The walk jump breaks the physics block to a place and then the run jump after propels you up & over or some higher place not normally gotten too. I found different places have different lags that make the timing between walk jump and run jump change.

Jahmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 pm 

You cannot compare combo jumps with the stalagmite in center of the Tokotah Courtyard.

The stalagmite is made of inclined sections wall which is an oddity in this game.

Easiest way to test this is to place markers on the ground then once up the stalagmite walls put markers there too. You will see a gap, that gap is the inclination of the wall itself.

For combos now...

Your avvie get stuck I dont deny that but what makes the avvie stuck in mid-air? 2 PLANES which aren't part of same continuous wall. There is some oddities too with some walls that are continuous but with a sharp corner but this isn't common. Let me explain this with an example:

Library Courtyard: Collision wall of the railing and Collision wall of the tent. When you look at the physics, you will see a real sharp corner, just a little wider than an avvie. At rest the avvie will just slide down to the ground. In movement, the avvie just bumps in between 2 planes and if you do it at the right pace, you will eventually get out of it and reach the top of the lowest wall.

For harder combo elevators the space in between walls is a little bit wider, for easier ones well...it is narrower.

And how I know all that? Because of Plasmaclient at the time it was online. Like I said in another thread, the end of plasmaclient was a great lost for me. For 2 months it became my main discovery tool of the cavern. Having 2 computers helped me a lot, since in Plasmaclient you weren't able to see the "usual" effect on walls. Being on uruexplorer at the same time in same age, I was able to see the real effect when using uruexplorer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:49 am 

I have the opportunity to try jumping on a different system. My Laptop crashed, and I have had to rebuild an older PC.

Good thing is it is running XP, and I have spent a few hours re-doing MYST.........for Win 95........

I expect to be able to run all my old MYST titles.

I will soon get to verify, or nix, many of the ideas I have put forth in this thread. Most of all I might be able to finally zip.... :D 8) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:11 pm 

Zipline launch stuff

I could climb the pillars in the alley before I could zip more than a few steps.. I still can not zip to the roof, BUT....
I have found an interesting thing.

Original write up says that after positioning yourself in the lamp, and slowly backing up, you will 'pop' a bit to the right. Well, I seldom if ever really ''popped''. Tried for many many months...no ''popping''.

I think I provided some entertainment as the master of the mini-zip after moving to this older PC. Many players have tried coaching me, thank you all.

The thing I found was that I can, while slowly backing up use my right arrow key to aid getting me into the proper spot..it doesn't seem to violate any existing unwritten rule.

This hasn't gotten me to the roof top....yet...I fully expect to get there this week, maybe today. :lol:

Using a different PC requires relearning many of my ''moves''. The processor is a bit slower than the Laptop was, and I only have 1/2 the memory, so lag has reared its ugly head for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:32 am 

Do you have shadows turned off in graphics setting in game , have you tried to go to private instance of city . Both of these have an effect on zipping especially if your comp is slower or have a week graphics card ! Then sometimes you just cant get a zip to save your avie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:17 pm 

I have found that I now use both the keyboard and the mouse for complicated jumps. I am also using 1st and 3rd person changing a lot. For the really precise jumps, we just about have to switch to 1st person. Not all jumps require all that much precision, but many do, especially when entering a game.