It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:12 am 

i used the Cider install on my last 3 mac laptops, all worked flawlessley...
and there is even and easy install via MacPorts

1 install Xcode 4.2 -(we are not using the current version)
https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action# ("Xcode_4.2_for_Lion_.dmg" - sorted by date Nov 29, 2011)
once installed run Xcode to make sure it is fully installed.

2 install MacPorts
https://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts ... 7-Lion.dmg

3 open the Terminal.app -(found in /Applications/Utilities/)
type the following code into the Terminal. you will be asked for a password.
Code:
sudo port install mystonline-cider

after a short wait you should have "Myst_Online_(Cider).app" installed into /Applications/MacPorts/

good luck

--edit: sorry i got that a little wrong... MacPorts doesn't work with the newest version of Xcode... > Fixed step 1
--edit: if MacPorts has been installed for a while you might want to update it "sudo port -v self update"

Last edited by Stone. on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: GameTap MOUL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:46 am 

Shorah again,

I haven't tried Stone.'s method, but it looks like it's a shorter version of rainbow's instructions mentioned by Gahlen (and there's a highly condensed version of rainbow's instrux by Rhendalle which is pretty similar to Stone.'s).

If their instructions don't get MOUL running correctly for you, you may need to check that the old GameTap UruLauncher.exe file was replaced with the updated one (which points to the correct MOUL server). The updated .exe file can be found here (also listed in rainbow's old post). You should follow rainbow's instructions for unzipping it and installing it in the correct location.

Also, when using the GameTap version, on initial launch, it can take a loooong time to get all the updates. You won't see a progress bar for a while 'cause there's so much to update (it takes a while to start showing on the left side). So you definitely will need to be patient!

Another thing to be aware of is that there are two MOUL processes that run in the Mac version. If the main updater crashes or gets hung, you will need to use Force Quit to get rid of the second process before you can restart MOUL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:21 pm 

Stone. wrote:
i used the Cider install on my last 3 mac laptops, all worked flawlessley...
and there is even and easy install via MacPorts

1 install Xcode 4.2 -(we are not using the current version)
https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action# ("Xcode_4.2_for_Lion_.dmg" - sorted by date Nov 29, 2011)
once installed run Xcode to make sure it is fully installed.

2 install MacPorts
https://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts ... 7-Lion.dmg

3 open the Terminal.app -(found in /Applications/Utilities/)
type the following code into the Terminal. you will be asked for a password.
Code:
sudo port install mystonline-cider

after a short wait you should have "Myst_Online_(Cider).app" installed into /Applications/MacPorts/

good luck

--edit: sorry i got that a little wrong... MacPorts doesn't work with the newest version of Xcode... > Fixed step 1
--edit: if MacPorts has been installed for a while you might want to update it "sudo port -v self update"

Thanks for your suggestion!

I'm currently trying out your method right now, but I've run to a small problem with getting the download for Xcode 4.2. It seems I have to create a new Apple ID especially for becoming a developer or something, do I have to do this? (since my existing apple ID doesn't work for signing in at this page) I tried googling other places for this version but had no luck with it so far..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:26 pm 

lunanne wrote:
You could try to install xcode via the app store, it worked for me but maybe that was before the version update.

I tried this on app store, but there's only version 4.3 available for download..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:56 pm 

that is the only place i know to download Xcode.4.2 and you must be a registered developer to sign in.
you can register your current AppleID as a DeveloperID for free...

go to https://developer.apple.com/programs/register/ and click on the blue (Get Started) button
from there select (Use an existing Apple ID) and you will register your existing Apple ID as a developer.

best of luck

--ps: from the MacPorts site "Note however that Xcode 4.3 cannot be used by MacPorts at present."

Post subject: MOUL on Mac OSX
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:29 pm 

endpalette96,

As I have mentioned in similar threads, MOUL can be run natively on the Mac without the assistance of Bootcamp or Windows Virtual software. If you need a blow-by-blow description of all the various ways to achieve this, the specific post you'll want to look at is Rainbow's. However, if you are looking for the easiest solution (in my opinion) to getting MOUL up and running on your Intel Mac, doing it yourself by hand using the following instructions paraphrased from Rainbow should get you up and running MOUL on the Mac without loading additional software and without too much fuss.

1. Download the old Mac client from Gametap, mount the disk image, and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder (or, if you played MO:UL years ago on your Intel Mac and saved a copy of the app, use that, because it already contains most of the assets the game needs and you won't have to download them again).

2. Download the UruLauncher.exe file (UruLauncher.exe-1.893.zip) here.

3. Replace UruLauncher.exe in /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/ Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live with the new copy.

Once you have the new UruLauncher.exe, how do you put it inside Myst Online.app? You can do it in the Finder:

In the Applications folder, Control-click Myst Online.app. and highlight "Show Package Contents". In the resulting window, go into Contents, then Resources, then Control-click again on this Myst Online.app. Again navigate into Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Uru Live. Drag the new UruLauncher.exe from wherever you put it on your hard drive into this folder and replace the old one.

This worked for me. After launching Myst Online.app, it downloaded a new patcher, then downloaded about 400MB of updates (slowly), then let me log in (very slowly) and eventually got me into the cavern. (If you used a fresh Myst Online.app from the Gametap disk image, it'll need to download a lot more than that.)

I realize you are getting advice from all angles and all of it is good, but take it from someone who is not a techie, this is the simplest solution IMO and does not require loading additional software or use Virtual Software (Parallels) which can slow down performance. The only "tricky" part is control-clicking on the application to dig deep into the applications files to replace the UruLauncher.exe file. (At the time, I did not know you could "Show Package Contents" of applications.)

Hope this helps to simplify the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:48 pm 

Thank you all for your great suggestions! It seems there will be more than 1 way I will have to work this out. So once I tried them, I will let you all know how it goes and which method actually fixes my laggy cursor movement. Thanks again! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 am 

hopefully you have Cider working :)

I made a Windows7 vm in Parallels last night.
Worked ok... after i installed "Parallels Tools"
It changes how the cursor works quite a bit.

You probably have but i should ask...
Have you installed "Parallels Tools" into the Windows7 vm?

Start Win7 --then in the Parallels Menubar > Virtual Machine > install Parallels Tools

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:33 pm 

Stone. wrote:
hopefully you have Cider working :)

I made a Windows7 vm in Parallels last night.
Worked ok... after i installed "Parallels Tools"
It changes how the cursor works quite a bit.

You probably have but i should ask...
Have you installed "Parallels Tools" into the Windows7 vm?

Start Win7 --then in the Parallels Menubar > Virtual Machine > install Parallels Tools

Yup, Parallels Tools is installed. So you had no cursor problem at all while playing through Parallels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 am 

It worked extremely well.  With the MOULa graphics settings all the way up.  
The cursor worked the same as it does outside the vm. 
?? -- How much RAM do you have installed?

I would still try to get the Cider wrapper working.  Using the MacPorts port or make it yourself. Both give you the same result.
(the Windows version running in the Cider wrapper made for GameTap to run on the Mac)

I am typing this at work from the miniature keypad on my phone. 
I will try to explain more when I get back to my laptop. 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:11 pm 

Stone. wrote:
It worked extremely well.  With the MOULa graphics settings all the way up.  
The cursor worked the same as it does outside the vm. 
?? -- How much RAM do you have installed?

I would still try to get the Cider wrapper working.  Using the MacPorts port or make it yourself. Both give you the same result.
(the Windows version running in the Cider wrapper made for GameTap to run on the Mac)

I am typing this at work from the miniature keypad on my phone. 
I will try to explain more when I get back to my laptop. 

I have 4 GB of RAM installed. Working with your method (Cider), I just had Uru fully updated, waiting for the system to launch Uru, but nothing came up after the update window closes. The application of Uru itself became unresponsive (application not responding), and the only thing I could do is to force quit it. Any ideas why this is happening? Am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:10 pm 

my guess is the 4 GB of RAM is at least part of your problem with Parallels.
open the "Activity Monitor.app" and have a look at the system memory tab.

i don't think your missing anything...
it sounds like you got MacPorts to make the Myst Online.app successfully.
Did you get any errors when running the port from the Terminal.app?
You can try downloading the updates again by deleting or rename the "TOS.txt"
"/opt/local/share/mystonline/data/TOS.txt"

other than that all i can do is point you to Rainbow's or Rhendalle's instructions.
sorry if i pointed you down the wrong path. it worked for me.

if you would like to remove MacPorts from your system...
[spoiler]if you want to uninstall all ports installed by MacPorts. Run this command in the Terminal:
Code:
%% sudo port -fp uninstall --follow-dependents installed

if you would then like to remove MacPorts from your system. Run this command in the Terminal:
or find and delete them from the "Finder.app" yourself.
Code:
%% sudo rm -rf \
    /opt/local \
    /Applications/DarwinPorts \
    /Applications/MacPorts \
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.* \
    /Library/Receipts/DarwinPorts*.pkg \
    /Library/Receipts/MacPorts*.pkg \
    /Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup \
    /Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0 \
    /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 \
    ~/.macports