It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:08 pm 

Hey all,
Re: A 3rd person, camera view situation that I have experienced quite regularly and I am curious if it's only related to my sessions of game play. Not a big deal, but it's something I am at a loss to understand as to why it happens.
I have discussed this with other players, with a lot more game play experience than myself, and have yet to hear of any reasons for this or even if they have experienced or noticed this anomaly themselves.

I've noticed that in Ae'gura, when "Relto'ing out" or with Nexus usage, my avvie comes back in a larger size than is the norm. I really notice it a lot, up on the city bridge.

When I have the avvie in exactly the same positions / locations in some parts of Ae'gura, normally I can see my avvie from the feet and on up.
When the "size shift" happens, I can only see the avvie from the backside, mid thighs and on up. Once again, I am in the exact, same positions.

It does make specific moves, jumps, etc. more difficult than necessary when one is used to hitting certain "marks" before trying assorted moves within the game.
Here is what I am certain of:
Screen resolution is always the same.
The mouse scroll wheel " camera dolly" function is always "full back."
This is not a condition of the standard, changing camera views we all see in 3rd person camera view during normal game play.
In the Navigation / advanced area, the only thing that is checked is the "jump where I click" box.
Any ideas ?

Around MOUL in one form or another, since Jan., 2004 - current main avvie KI #01229540

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm 

Zaphod22,

Can you provide some pics ? This would certainly help us see exactly what you are talking about.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

It sounds like the camera is breaking and just keeps the view closer to your back for some reason?

I've seen avatars change size and proportions a few times linking into the Gahreesen default point, but they snap back to normal size once they started moving...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:05 pm 

MrMouski,
Sent you 2 pics today by KI mail.
1 with the avvie at a given spot on the bridge, "normal" size and another from a little while later, maybe 20 or 30 minutes, showing the "enlarged" avvie - both at the exact same spot on the city bridge, looking back towards the plaza but centered on the balcony to the right.

@ Ehren, thanks for the reply!
I experienced the same effect earlier today under the plaza tent when centering up on the pallet to begin the leaps and climbs to levitate above the tent. 1 size avvie at a given time and later on in game play, a larger size avvie. It always seems to happen always after a return from Relto or a Nexus usage. It's odd...

I need to check and see if it my avvie is consistant at first entrance to the game after logging in as opposed to happening during a given length of game play with out being completely out of the game.
I'll see about posting some pics to PhotoBucket or Picassa so anyone else can see what I mean if they so choose to do so.
I'll post when they are up - Thanks to all for the interest in my little quirk that has me puzzled. :?

Around MOUL in one form or another, since Jan., 2004 - current main avvie KI #01229540

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 am 

Just for the fun of gathering some "raw data" for my pitiful grey matter to chew on, I tried an experiment this evening. Wednesday,
3/21 from around 15:00 to 16:00 KI time.
There were 13 or so other avvies in Ae'gura during my little test and no noticible lag on my end.

Logged in, went to Relto, Nexus, to Concert Hall Foyer nexus ( CFH ), to bridge = Big avvie @ 15:13 KI time.
Back to CHF nexus, to Library nexus, run back to bridge = Small avvie @ 15:18
Back to CHF nexus, to Palace Alcove nexus, to bridge = Small avvie @ 15:23
Panic jump off bridge, Relto, Nexus, to CHF nexus, to bridge = Big avvie is back, forgot to look at time.
Panic jump, Relto, Nexus, to Takotah Alley nexus, to bridge = Big avvie @ 15:46
Back to CHF nexus, to Library nexus, run to bridge = Small avvie @ 15:50
Panic jump, Relto, Nexus, to Ferry Terminal nexus, to bridge = Big avvie @ 15:54
Linked to Relto w/ hip book, Nexus, to CHF nexus, to bridge = Big avvie @ 16:02
Panic jump, Relto, Nexus, to CHF nexus, to bridge = Big avvie @ 16:05
Back to CHF nexus, to Takotah Alley nexus, to bridge = Small avvie @ 16:09
Panic jump, Relto, Nexus, to Palace Alcove nexus, to bridge = Small avvie @ 16:19
That was enough for me. :shock:

Never noticed this sort of thing in the original MOUL back in 2006 / 2007 or in GameTap either.
It's just that a riddle or puzzle unsolved will be grinding away in the recesses of my little old brain until there is an answer of some kind.
Probably not an answer to this one other than "Yeah, weird stuff happens in the game."

"Curiouser and Curiouser" as the quote goes...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:55 am 

Zaphod22 wrote:
When I have the avvie in exactly the same positions / locations in some parts of Ae'gura, normally I can see my avvie from the feet and on up.
When the "size shift" happens, I can only see the avvie from the backside, mid thighs and on up. Once again, I am in the exact, same positions.

I have noticed this when jumping onto the map.
As I start to climb the rope, the camera is normal, I can see my whole avatar.
Then half-way up the rope as I turn, the camera zooms in due to objects behind me.
When I jump onto the map, the camera has stayed zoomed in and I can only see about two thirds of my avatar.
This does not happen every time.

I don't think my avatar changes size at all, to me it's a camera issue.

Alien

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:17 am 

Alien wrote:
Zaphod22 wrote:

I have noticed this when jumping onto the map.
As I start to climb the rope, the camera is normal, I can see my whole avatar.
Then half-way up the rope as I turn, the camera zooms in due to objects behind me.
When I jump onto the map, the camera has stayed zoomed in and I can only see about two thirds of my avatar.
This does not happen every time.

I don't think my avatar changes size at all, to me it's a camera issue.

Alien

I agree on the whole "it's a camera thing." Mouski and I have been talking about it here and in KI mail for a bit and it just seems to be "one of those things." I sent him a series of pics demonstrating the visual effects and he concurs with it being the camera thing.
I even brought the "Paddy O'furniture" avvie out to see if it was just the Zaphod22 avvie's problem but it was the same with Paddy as well.

It just hampers my efforts to "hit my marks" when doing all that funky stuff outside of normal game play. Certainly not real important overall, just a mystery to be solved, if possible.

FYI: I think I was having trouble doing the "tent climbing" thing this evening probably due to the lack of the usual gravitational effects your presence and/or personal mojo, while perched on the map, normally imparts to tent climbers. :D

The Zip was working awesome tonight though! Best I've seen in a long time, at least for me. Probably due to Zyxia being nearby. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:15 am 

Zaphod22 wrote:
FYI: I think I was having trouble doing the "tent climbing" thing this evening probably due to the lack of the usual gravitational effects your presence and/or personal mojo, while perched on the map, normally imparts to tent climbers. :D

The Zip was working awesome tonight though! Best I've seen in a long time, at least for me. Probably due to Zyxia being nearby. ;-)

Ah, I had my personal gravitional field set way too high ... sorry about that :P
But that just makes getting up there even more worth the effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:26 pm 

While there are times the camera automatically zooms, other times it is because I zoomed it unintentionally via my mouse wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 pm 

Thanks dj_ for your observant reply. It never hurts to have any and all suggestions heard, thank you. :lol:
I did make triple certain that at all times the mouse scroll wheel, "camera dolly" function was always in the full back position and that continues to be the case.
As an experiment, just for fun, I changed to another mouse and keyboard, corded and wireless on both accounts and saw no differences at all. I even changed back to a "wired" ISP connection instead of wireless router, same thing, no difference, just as I expected.

I do wish it was just me being a doofus, but probably not the case. I just don't like it when I can't figure something out if it's within my personal skill set to do so.
I have decided to live with it as it's not that big of a deal and probably not fixable, it's just a puzzler and I have heard from others here and while in-game, that they sometimes see the same thing as I have seen. So it's not just me, thank goodness !
Oh well, on to bigger and better things. :)

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in!

Edit: On my side of things, it's time to put this one to bed, I'm over it and am moving on. Thanks again to all for participating !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

This has puzzled me for quite some time now.
Looking at the few dozen avvies i have. I can't see any pattern to it..
About 1/4 of my avvies the camera does not dolly all the way back. (some days they do tho, some days the others don't. hm)
Seem to stay the same switching PC's. I also don't see any pattern account to account.
I can't offer any suggestions. Just thought id chime in tell you what i noticed.
have fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:12 am 

Same as Stone.

Some of my avvies are always zoomed at start whatever PC I'm using... seeing only the torso and head (and hat for Annabelle LOL)

Some are just seen from a farther point (I see these girls from head to toes)