It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:56 pm 

Recently I revealed some stand alone game features in my game to some explorers in MOUL,a.
To my astonishment and shock, seems those Explorers had ever heard of the features I mentioned.
Naturally, I assumed we all had and played the same game content features and I found a post about stand alone and MOUL difference to which I again shared those features.
It was suggested that I was making those features all up!
Proof was demanded of my claims. No Worries, I too wanted to find the game that had them.

Pieced together the time line History of the games and the computers I used to play them on . . .

November 2003 Officially announced as Myst Online, before being renamed Uru and published by Ubisoft.
2003 Uru Ages Beyond Myst was a dual release - Single player and Multi-Player box sold game. Bought it 12/18/2003
2003 Uru To D'ni, FREE EXPANSION PACK added the never-released Uru Live online content. Received Free CD 2004
2004 Uru The Path of the Shell, extended the story of Uru in the present and never-before-seen Ages Bought it 7/2/2004
Unlike the first expansion pack, Uru: The Path of the Shell was not free, but was boxed and sold in stores
July 2004 Uru, To D'ni, and The Path of the Shell were packaged together and sold as Uru: The Complete Chronicles. Bought it 7/7/2004 Online Ubi.com
February 2007 GameTap released the multiplayer portion of Uru as Myst Online: Uru Live. Joined October of 2006

Toshibia - Satellite Pro Laptop - Date of Purchase: 2003 - - Also played satnd alone on this one too.
DELL 8300 – Date of Replacement: late 2003 - - - - - - - Likly I Played the gamve version with those features on this computer.

MY TECHNICAL DILEMA: Replaced the battery and got the old Dell running again! Yay! 8)
I uninstalled those games from off the Dell 8300 before I stopped using it and save (think I saved the right game files) to CD.
Need help with the where and how to place and which file names saved files go to in the reinstalled games.
I saved several to CD's with lots of files. If someone could post the file trees to what goes where?
My working knowledge and understanding about how theses game files work and where to find and load them into the games isn't good enough for me to try on my own. I did narrow down the files by their creation dates from properties.
I don't mind providing the Demaned Proof, http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25539 but I'll need some help to do it. PLEASE

Example: Reloaded UABM (URU-AGES BEYOND MYST) and UTD (URU TO'D'NI Expansion Pack) games and created same player name and a new player name and played through them on my current Cooler Master decktop computer I use everyday. But when I did The Path of the Shell Installation and launch, the launch said Play The Path of the Shell, but it launched my Deep Island account game login screen. Obviously a path conflict to which I know not how to fix. I have MOULS,a and the Deep Island and Gehn Shards loaded on to my dest top and they are working links.
I don't want to mess them up.
So . . .No idea how to seperate my current Deep Island game from the newly installed The Path of the Shell Game.
Again, the Launch screen to Play The Path of the Shell brings up the Deep Island login screen and the stand alone game fails to launch.

DELL 8300 On the other hand, I have gotten The Path of the Shell game up and running.
The orginal Player name didn't transition over, but the second player name did. But looking on my KI and having not taken any pictures I found a bunch already on it
From what I can tell so far, it's likely the first boxed release and could be the CC PotS game version, either case, I don't know how to identify the right saved files and where to put them to check play them to find the features.

Any help with directing me to some tech thread here or anywhere else on how to restore old games again would be appreciated.

Jahmen Myst

UPDATE 5/5/2012: UbiSoft Forum Info
Quote:
following versions of Uru have been released for Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP:
-- Uru: Ages Beyond Myst or Uru: ABM (CD)
-- To D'ni, first Expansion Pack (download only)
-- Myst Uru: The Path of the Shell or PotS, second Expansion Pack, also contains To D'ni (download or CD - CD recommended)
-- Myst Uru: Complete Chronicles or CC (two CD's containing original Uru: Ages Beyond Myst and To D'ni + PotS)

The PotS Expansion Pack also includes To D'ni.

There are two Expansion Packs for original Uru: Ages Beyond Myst.
-- Expansion Pack 1 is To D'ni.
-- Expansion Pack 2 is Myst Uru: The Path of the Shell (PotS).

My Confusuion;
How "Expansion Pack" had been use in the above Ubisoft posts.
I took the posts to mean, since I had the Expansion Pack 1 CD TO D”NI (also downloadable) back then, that their was an additional Expansion Pack 2 CD Path of the Shell, also downloadable back then and then later the Storebox released CD of all their content.
Meaning to me, like the first Expansion Pack 1 loaded into the original URU Ages Beyond Myst game and extended the content, the second mentioned Expansion Pack 2 did also.
I downloaded the Path of the Shell back then and assumed it was merged in with and into the 2 other prior versions of the game I already had running then.
This is partly why I have been confused about the Expansion Packs and how they worked.

Remember, Expansion Pack 1 merged with or into URU Ages Beyond Myst CD game.
So I had assumed the reference use to Expansion Pack 2 PotS did the same and the PotS Storebox CD didn't.
Hope you can see how I took it this way, since I had gotten the TO D'NI Expansion Pack 1 as a CD and as a download.
An easy assumption to the the Path of the Shell Expansion Pack 2 CD and download reference doing the same thing as the first Expansion Pack 1 did and my belief there being a difference between the Expansion Pack 2 and the storebox CD release. Though ther reply post says there is not,I believe my PotS download might have been a mergable version to the 2 prior versions I already had running, give the exclusive content I found to play.

I knew thru research about the storebox release of Uru – The Path of the Shell on CD and it containing all the former version games content combined.
But I hadn't consider the storebox CD release to be an Expansion Pack, since it's release contained all the former version content and its own all together ready to play. Whereas, the TO D"NI Expansion Pack installed it's content and became part of URU Ages Beyond Myst game.

I later bought the Storebox Path of the Shell CD and later the Complete Chronicles Path of the Shell 2 CD set.

Back in 2004, we all could call Cyan support and get help. I did so on many occations to get the bug fixes as they became available.
I believe this was before all the bug fixes became the later v1.2 patch.
During that time, I became well aquainted with one of the support techs as I downloaded updates and got help.

Given the exclusive game content I seem to have gotten and played that no other explorers appear to know anything about, I can't rule out the possibilty that I received it as some additional down loaded code as exclusive game content.
"Although, I believe my PotS download might have been a merge version to the versions I already had running."
Why? Perhaps because a support tech had it and could give it out as hidden joke or it was never expected of me to stumble across and solve the additional content. And yes, it could easily be an "Easter Egg" extra content event also.
This why I am here in the forums trying to learn and find out more about the game versions and installs.

JUST TO BE CLEAR:
Question 1:
(a) UABM & v1.2 Patch and UTD Expansion Pack 1 was all there was of the first game versions to play? Yes?
(b) The (Referenced) Expansion Pack 2 - TPotS contained the UABM & v1.2 Patch and UTD Expansion Pack 1 content to play in addition to the TPotS content? Yes?

Question 2:
(a) Was there a downloadable TPotS (TPath of the Shell) Expansion Pack 2 to UABM & v1.2 Patch and UTD Expansion Pack 1 game Version? Yes?
(b) Was there a downloadable TPotS (TPath of the Shell) Expansion Pack 2 that didn’t contain the UABM & v1.2 Patch and UTD Expansion Pack 1 game content? No

Last edited by Jahmen on Wed May 16, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I recall, your problem lies in how you installed Deep Island. I believe you'll need to uninstall every version of the game (not Uru Live, just the retail and Deep Island versions of the game) and then reinstall Uru Complete Chronicles. After that, you'll need to make a back up copy and another copy for Deep Island to use. Then I think you can install Deep Island with no conflict.

You'll need an answer from someone better aquainted with those old games though, as I've had very little experience with them.

If you're curious, I have my Deep island installed in: C:\Users\"MY USERNAME"\Saved Games\Deep Island Shard

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

i cannot help either, but I did once have Uru: ABM, Uru: ABM + To D'ni, Uru: ABM + The Path of the Shell, and Until Uru as four separate installs on the same computer. That one is long gone, and I've not been able to replicate the setup on any other machine. The only way I've managed it since was to install each one on separate hard drives. The more tech savvy will know how to do it, but I've don't know enough to manage.

I don't remember To D'ni being available on CD from Cyan, or else I would have made use of that method. I think I downloaded all night on dialup. I do seem to remember accomodating fans offering copies of the file on CD to those unable to download it themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:52 pm 

I have a PoTs CD that comes with To D'ni but I don't know if it comes on it's own CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oops, I was wrong with my previous statement of there being no To D'ni CD. It was eventually provided on request by Ubisoft according to this archived Ubisoft forum thread.

But I was right about fans burning it for other fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:41 am 

Uru: Ages Beyond Myst To D'ni Add-on digital download is available at C|Net for free ...
http://download.cnet.com/Uru-Ages-Beyon ... 83378.html

The Ubisoft download is not available anymore.

Uru ABM + To D'ni pack
In Windows XP: The saved games are store in the main Uru Folder >> C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Uru Beyond Myst\sav folder(sub folder in the main Uru folder)
Each avatar has its own folder which begin with a number...
Sample path name in Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst\sav\424F5A4F\current

Quote:
By Heimdall G. at Ubi site:
Uru may be installed in one of:

C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst
C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Uru - To D'ni
C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Uru - Path of the Shell
C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan Worlds\Uru - Complete Chronicles

In your Program Files Uru folders, there's a \sav folder with two subfolders. This is where your game progress is autosaved, as well as where your player (avatar) settings and general game settings are stored. With a default install as an example, the path is C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Cyan\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst\sav\<hash>\current. (<hash> is your player/avatar name in hexadecimal code.) If these folders disappear or become corrupted, you lose everything you've done in the game

Edited:
Btw, for those who might need it the Uru v1.2 patch (and description) is still available at Ubisoft...
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8803

Last edited by Artic_Wagon on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Sweet!! TY Artic_Wagon for that link

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:59 am 

I must be getting old.
I have played every game that had anything to do with Myst.
But, how in the world do you document every game install, when you bought it,
type of computer, etc, etc. And why?
Do you keep a log on everything concerning them with dates and time?
Wow. I have owned many laptops and desktops, but I could never or would I ever
try to keep records of such.
I must say that you do keep great records for all this, but why, I really don't have a clue.
Great job Jaymen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:02 pm 

First off! I want to thank everyone in advance for any and all help posted.
I will admit I'm really stoked about doing this and finding any traces of those features to share!

Trekluver Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:44 pm — Post subject:
Quote:
If you're curious, I have my Deep island installed in: C:\Users\"MY USERNAME"\Saved Games\Deep Island Shard

NOTED down for future reference, thanx

Wafna Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:00 pm — Post subject:
Quote:
but I did once have Uru: ABM, Uru: ABM + To D'ni, Uru: ABM + The Path of the Shell, and Until Uru as four separate installs on the same computer.
Quote:
Oops, I was wrong with my previous statement of there being no To D'ni CD. It was eventually provided on request by Ubisoft according to this archived Ubisoft forum thread.

As did I also and now trying to re-establish them all to up-load the old game files in for a blast to the past look for all those game features I seem to have found other explorers didn’t. 8)

NOTE: I have begun to wonder if I had inadvertently triggered a hidden “Easter Egg” that I was playing without realizing it.
Back then I hadn’t yet heard about those. Just a thought
Link to a picture of my TO D'NI CD (Only way I knew how to show it.)
https://plus.google.com/104828884770118478513/posts

Artic-Wagon Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:41 am — Post subject:
Quote:
Uru ABM + To D'ni pack
In Windows XP: The saved games are store in the main Uru Folder >> C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Uru Beyond Myst\sav folder(sub folder in the main Uru folder)
Each avatar has its own folder which begin with a number...
Sample path name in Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Uru - Ages Beyond Myst\sav\424F5A4F\current

BINGO! Dude you ROCK! Very very useful and hopefully doable information to try.

Although, I myself already had a save copy of it, as well as found it on the Ubi site from the navigation support on the Launch Screen of each game took me to it. POSTING the patch link post was a smart thing to do here.

Nicoleleigh Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:59 am — Post subject:
Quote:
But, how in the world do you document every game install, when you bought it,
type of computer, etc, etc. And why?

Ok . . . I don't! But my wife Patricia does. As to the Why? She tracks all our spending in Quicken so we can budget our finances. So it was a simple matter to ask her to look the information up for me (Other Why) so I could pin down the time line dates to know which saved files & file dates I should look for and where to look for them.
Note: My wife has an accounting background and she keeps meticulous records of all our receipts and tracks our finances.
Yep! She is a worth her weight in precious gems!
That’s how and why, I was able to pin down the time line and computers used.[/list]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jahmen wrote:
Link to a picture of my TO D'NI CD (Only way I knew how to show it.)
https://plus.google.com/104828884770118478513/posts

Thanks, Jahmen! I was wondering what one looked like. I'm curious if any of the hard core collectors have this. I know that I would like to find one. I would think that in order to definitively attempt what you have reported, you would have to have the To D'ni CD instead of the download, in case there were any differences between the two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:37 pm 

If ever the CNet download for the To D'ni pack is giving you problems I have found a mirror download at FilePlanet...

http://www.fileplanet.com/138609/130000 ... dd-on-To-D

Btw, I had problem on my windows 7 computer. It could "not" see the difference between the Uru ABM and Uru CC installation. I had to delete Uru ABM. Maybe I should have tried renaming it but that idea came to late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 pm 

I have one and a few of my friends have one.
I even saw the items on Ebay a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 am 

After reloading UABM with Patch & UTD Extension Pack games and re-playing through them with 2 NEW Players, Avatar Jahmen "Original Player Name" I had used before and newly created Avatar Jahmen2 as a test, compare and tracking Player.
NOTE: So I used my Original Avatar Player name Jahmen and made a NEW Player named Jahmen2.

After installing PotS game Jahmen Player Name was lost. Leaving only my Jahmen2 Player name remaining.
Mystery to me as to why or what cause it and why both Player Names didn't tranfer into PotS installaion game as they had from the TO D'NI installation.

Been looking through the file trees for the games in my C:\ Drive\ Programs File Tree.
Also been typing out my file trees in WORDPERFECT to help me get a visual take on it all.
Doing to do the same for the game saves I have to see how they work.

BELOW IS EVERYTHING I HAVE FOUND SO FAR ON MY C: DRIVE
DELL - C: Program Files\ Ubi Soft\ Cyan Worlds/ Myst Masterpiece Edition
DELL - C: Program Files\ UBISOFT\ Cyan Worlds\ Myst V End of Ages / Myst IV Revelation
DELL - C: Program Files\ Ubi-Soft\ Cyan Worlds\ Uru - Ages Beyond Myst\ avi\ dat\ init\ Kiimages\ lib\ log\ My Journals\
MyMusic\ Python\ sav\ 4A61686D656E32\ current \ SDL\ sfx\ updates\ vnodes\ Xtras\ Uru_-_Ages_Beyond_Myst_In . . . Text Document
cypython22.dll
UruExplorer ------------------------------ Main Branch - Built 5/26/2004 . . . Cyan Worlds
UruSetup
Visit Uru Live

Uninstalled and tried re-installing each within my assigned Ubi Soft\ and Ubi-Soft\ and UBISOFT\
DELL - C: Program Files\ Ubi Soft\ Cyan Worlds/ Myst Masterpiece Edition / CC The Path of the Shell
DELL - C: Program Files\ UBISOFT\ Cyan Worlds\ Myst V End of Ages / Myst IV Revelation / Uru Ages Beyond Myst
DELL - C: Program Files\ Ubi-Soft\ Cyan Worlds\ Uru - Ages Beyond Myst\ Uru TO D'NI

However, some installed files also appeared in both places. When I would use the UruExplorer launch Icon in each of games file folders, the final Play screen comes up: Play CC Path of the Shell.

Working out how to set up and run each seperately on the same hard drive will take some time.

Last edited by Jahmen on Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:40 am 

@Jahmen,

I beleive you made a mistake by trying to install TPoTS over your Uru ABM + To D'ni because TPoTS also contained the To D'ni pack..

1- You were suppose to only install To D'ni over Uru ABM or...

2- to install TPoTS (only) over Uru ABM.

I suspect that it would a good idea to rename any previous Uru installation before installing a new one. I remember we had to do the renaming when we were playing Until Uru to protect any other Uru version.

When you install the To D'ni "or" TPots, the installation wizard is suppose to be able to automatically find Uru ABM by itself.

So, it means you might have to use 2 or 3 Uru ABM installations (after renaming previous) if you want to get all versions working on your pc.

If you have Uru Complete Chronicles also that would mean a 4th installation. Note that Uru CC contains both expasion packs and is not to be install over anything else.

I am hoping you have a "lot" of free space on your "C" drive.

Too bad Reverend Vader is not around anymore. He was an expert at the time. :(

Edit (new info):
The desktop icons wont be working after renaming your different versions. Which means that you will have to create new ones by visiting each Program Files Uru folders and send new Uru Launcher.exe icons to your desktop and then also renaming them on the desktop for easier differentiation.

Edit # 2:
re: your sav\ 4A61686D656E32\ current
I had a look at your list of folders and in the sav folder it shows only one avatar.(one long number)

I do not know why you created a new avatar(s) if you had access to old saved games with old avatars. Just make certain you copy them in an appropriate version of Uru (like the one(s) they were created)

Also check the long avatar #s and make certain if they are all different.

See below my image of my Uru CC sav folder with 4 different avatars. The #s above the long numbers were added by me...

Post subject: Testing .savs in Game
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 pm 

Artic_Wagon Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:40 am — Post subject:
Quote:
I believe you made a mistake by trying to install TPotS over your Uru ABM + To D'ni because TPoTS also contained the To D'ni pack..

I know your right! :oops: Doh!

Using my original game CD's I installed the UABM & patch and recreated new original player Jahmen Name and new Jahmen2 Player name and played both thru all the game content. I made Jahmen2 as a test .sav player to help me Identify players.

Then Installed the UTD Expansion Pack game using my original expansion pack CD over the UABM.
Fairly certain UTD is supposed to be installed over the UABM game.
NOTE: The Game Launch Screen changed with each game installation starting with;
Play - Uru Ages Beyond Myst and then to Play - Uru TO D'NI and even now Play - The Path of the Shell.

Seems Arctic_Wagon that your posted point is correct.
Though third Launch screen now reads; Play The Path of the Shell, the game play seems corrupt and glitches.
My Relto Book Shelf flickers and I can't always access the books.

The first 2 or last 2 installs of UABM & UTD, I loaded each game install into seperate program file path name locations: Program Files\ubi soft\ Cyan Worlds and Program Files\ubi-soft\ Cyan Worlds. Both game file information appear in both locations though. As I would think they were meant to to be merged, they did.
However, I do believe my PotS install also loaded there and that was a mistake.

I started testing out inserting the different .sav avatar game files I have found into the recent PotS game.
Best I can tell though from each .sav file player game I load in and play, the content features I find present in the game are exclusive to what ever game (UABM/ UTD/ PotS) that player .sav file came from.

I'm going to Uninstall and Reinstall all 4 games at once into their own different path locations and keep each game separate this time around.

I’m still looking for those old 2004 .sav player files and KI Pictures.
I’m beginning to think they are stored in my NC warehouse though, as I appear to have exhausted everything I can find here. Which is all 2007 onward game files and pictures.

I’m quickly loosing my patience with all this now and starting to consider risking the change out exchange of hard drives using my old Dell to see if those game files are on any of the old hard drives I have.
P. S. Appreciate all the support and help.

Last edited by Jahmen on Sat May 05, 2012 4:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next