It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
I do not think that anyone in Europe is willing or capable and with the experience of organising an event to rival the US Mysterium.

(I think this post kind of got away from me, but I think it's important to post it anyway so here it is)

I think that is entirely the wrong way to see it, and here's why. Last year (Mysterium 2011) was put together at the last minute by 4 people who had no idea what they were doing. We eventually got some support from Odo, but I can't believe there isn't anyone in Europe who knows how to wrangle good contracts, and there are ways to deal with funding. I'm a Technical Artist by trade (which is to say, a programmer), I have no experience doing this sort of thing but I muddle my way through it the best I can. I still find myself wondering how I ended up running this whole thing!

The point is, experience is irrelevant, it is only a matter of commitment to see it through. There's no need to start it off as a huge thing like the main Mysterium. It can start small and grow. It can be a bunch of people meeting up to have fun exploring a city for a day. It can be some people just getting hotel rooms and meeting up somewhere new. And it will grow before anyone realizes what's happening. Last year, the 4 of us planned on having a 'mini-mysterium'. It was supposed to be 10-15 people getting together outside Boston in place of the real thing... and somehow it turned into the real thing.

What I can say is there will never be a Euro-Mysterium if no one takes the initiative. Someone needs to run it, even if they don't know how. The point of forming the FMG is to foster this sort of thing and help other people to run Mysteria of all sizes with guidance and resources.

As to the comment about Cyan attending, you have to pay room and board for your special guests, so yes there is expense. But we didn't pay to have Rand fly out last year, we got him to do a Skype thing. There are ways around that, and if a Euro Mysterium got big enough, reg fees could be adjusted to make that sort of in-person thing happen.

Anyway, enough of my 2am rambling O_O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
I also do not think that Cyan would be willing to fly to Europe and provide the support and memorabilia as they do with a US based Mysterium event.

To my knowledge (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), Cyan has never traveled to any Mysterium, but when it's been held in Spokane, they've graciously hosted a visit by participants to their offices there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

taniith wrote:
I still find myself wondering how I ended up running this whole thing!

I ask myself how you all did it all the time. :lol: lol.

Just kidding; you and the team did a fantastic job! I echo what you say; if a small ragtag bunch in the USA can do it, so can a small ragtag bunch in Europe. We're all Myst fans after all; all it takes is a bit of imagination, a smidgen of money, and a linking book or two. :wink:

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Alien wrote:
I also do not think that Cyan would be willing to fly to Europe and provide the support and memorabilia as they do with a US based Mysterium event.

To my knowledge (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), Cyan has never traveled to any Mysterium, but when it's been held in Spokane, they've graciously hosted a visit by participants to their offices there.

I believe they attended the one in New Mexico during 2001. Someone correct me on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
I believe they attended the one in New Mexico during 2001. Someone correct me on that.

I don't know if they did, but that would have been when the money was flowing and I would guess attending was part of the Uru marketing push (or at least it was billed a such ;p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I loved the one time I went, I met a bunch of great people and met the friends I'd only seen via keyboard before.. Also got to see Cyan HQ, talk to Rand (and wow is RAWA so quiet in public!), got to have random fun and see Spokane.. plus was my first time flying alone and all. All in all a great experience.

...also an expensive one. I don't have the funds to manage another one like that, not without some reprocussions later. Sorry... carry the UO banner for us when you go, Zib! :D

Wait, did we make a UO banner? Now we have to make a banner, I suggest a colourful sock maybe.. personally I'd suggest my avatar there but it might seem too muchWe never DID rename it to Carl Obsession either like polls would suggest...

MOULa KI: #00027582
Welcome back all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 am 
Obduction Backer

What tan said. It doesn't take experience per se, but a willingness to have an idea and then put the effort into making it happen. Sometimes my experience in ConComs and event running has gotten in the way, and someone else will come with an out of the box idea that is awesome.

I think the thing people underestimate is how much work even a small event is- the more you want to do, the more of a part time job it becomes. But when you've got a group of people that share the enthusiasm and the work load, who want to see it succeed come fiery abyss or high water then anyone, yes even you, can host a Mysterium (or any other gathering!)

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:53 am 
Obduction Backer

And of course, there are rewards to putting the time in. Last year I got to Skype Rand! A friend of mine running a Brony con got to spend an hour on the phone with John DeLancie. I totally recommend it if you have the time and the drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:05 am 
Obduction Backer

taniith wrote:
A friend of mine running a Brony con got to spend an hour on the phone with John DeLancie.

Wah!!! Too bad I'm not a Brony though, cause that would have been sweet! (Come to think of it, I'm rather glad I'm not a Brony.) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
(Come to think of it, I'm rather glad I'm not a Brony.) 8)

Mods are asleep, post ponies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:

NO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Ahlisendar wrote:
Quote:

NO.

It was a long shot... Anyway, back to the subject at hand: Who*else* is going to Mysterium?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ahlisendar wrote:
Quote:

NO.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Mac doesn't sleep. He's like Chuck Norris; he eats sleep for breakfast. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure Mac doesn't sleep. He's like Chuck Norris; he eats sleep for breakfast. 8)

That makes him qualified to be a ResEng, doesn't it? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:24 pm 

RIUM+ wrote:
I'll be there, and not as a sheet of paper. It's a very long trip for me, but one way or another I'll be there. :D

And if I can get it finished in time, I may be bringing some more epic fan-art with me...
Any chance of seeing what you have done so far.Do you have an online gallery somewhere?