It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Garternay Age Creation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:50 pm 

Introduction:

I know a lot of you don't know me, I've been playing MOUL on and off for a while now but not often staying in the public D'ni for any period of time. You can find me on Uru under these names: Ailis, Alunae, Fay, Faewn. I'm 25 years old, Female. My real name is Fay, I'm Dutch but lived in the UK for 5 or so years now. I've been a fan of the Myst series since the first one came out and played them all.

I've done game design before on other games but I've not done so in a while, I don't have a huge amount of experience with 3ds Max even though I went to Digital Design college and doing that game design as a hobby. I mostly got familiar with the game engine for the Jedi Knight series (GTK Radiant). So writing this age will be a true journey of learning (and already plenty of frustration).

I've mentioned on my other post in Spoiler-free Discussion that I've started to write a new age. I decided it would be best if I make another topic specifically for the creation of the age, Where I can keep you all up-to-date on the progress and get some feedback from the community. I will often have my Live-stream running so you can watch how I'm slowly creating the age and learning about 3ds Max: www.twitch.tv/alunaefay)

About the age:

After thinking about it, I've decided to name the age Garternay and create it with the lore about it in mind.

From http://dni.wikia.com/wiki/Garternay:

Quote:
Garternay (said to mean 'Root of the Great Tree' in D'ni language), was the old and possibly original home age of the people called the Ronay. Garternay was an ancient world that was orbiting a Red giant sun, and it was known to the Ronay that their world would relatively soon no longer be able to sustain life. Fortunately they had developed the Art: a way to write special Books which provides a Link to another Age.
Several Ages were written to house the Ronay exiles, and the majority Linked to Terahnee, an immense fertile world. A conservative minority, led by the Writer Ri'neref, instead decided to leave the host of the Ronay, as they felt that the Ronay had become too arrogant and had forgotten their humility. This splinter fraction instead linked to the Age of D'ni (Earth), an Age written by Ri'neref. Here they formed the D'ni empire.

Garternay is believed to have been destroyed by natural forces at some point after the exodus, and, officially, no Linking Books have been found. However, Garternay was listed as an Age under preparation by the D'ni Restoration Council, suggesting at least one Linking Book had been found.

The idea of the age I'm creating is that a book of the age was somehow/somewhere discovered (Any ideas on how that could've come about would be awesome), It turns out that the Age still exists, Abandoned by the Ronay so there are still buildings standing, Somehow the age survived it's demise (Any input on this would be great too).

As the first of the explorers to go in, You will explore the age to figure out more about the Ronay and their civilization, What really happened (Did it really nearly get destroyed or is there some dark secret the Ronay we're trying to cover up?). The idea is to have puzzles that are to be completed solo and in a group.

So far I've been doing tests just to get the test ages to work in Uru, So far I've been struggling with the terrain so that's why I've decided to start work on buildings first till I can learn more about texture blending. I will post this topic on the Guild of Writers website as well to see if I can get any help with textures, the story and the technical issues of getting puzzles to work.

I could use help from all of you to flesh out the story/lore behind Garternay the Ronay and the Puzzles. It'll be interesting to see what exciting stories you all come up with.

Last edited by Faewn on Tue May 08, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:07 pm 

First Texture/Lighting Tests:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very nice!

About Garternay; Garternay's sun was dying, which is why the Ronay packed up and left. So if, and that's a big if, Garternay still exists, then its likely to be a very cold and desolate place.

For the record though, and for your project's health, you may want to pursue a FCA from Cyan Legal to make sure using a name they created will not be an issue. Or inversely, you could make up a new name. ;)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:33 pm 

Trekluver wrote:
Very nice!

About Garternay; Garternay's sun was dying, which is why the Ronay packed up and left. So if, and that's a big if, Garternay still exists, then its likely to be a very cold and desolate place.

For the record though, and for your project's health, you may want to pursue a FCA from Cyan Legal to make sure using a name they created will not be an issue. Or inversely, you could make up a new name. ;)

That's a very good point, Didn't consider that using the name might not be allowed. How would I go about asking Cyan about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Faewn wrote:
Trekluver wrote:
Very nice!

That's a very good point, Didn't consider that using the name might not be allowed. How would I go about asking Cyan about it?

First of all, watching you message me while live streaming is quite entertaining! :D

You can email [email protected] or [email protected], and she will forward it on to legal (Which is what I usually do.). Just tell them the situation and let them know you would like to use the name for the purpose of Fan Created Content. Then they will chose to grant you a license or not.

If they say no don't get discouraged; at this point in your development it will be very easy to create a new name if you need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:48 pm 

Yea, I'll e-mail them and if I can't use the name, could I still use the Ronay to tell the story of the age? As in would I be allowed to use other things from the myst lore or would I have to think up something completely new?

I made a pillar but need to improve the textures it's too red at the moment:

(My texturing skills isn't that great so perhaps there is someone whose really good at it who'd be willing to make some for me?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

My assumption would be yes, in a similar manner to how the D'ni can be used. Their policy typically is, it can expound on stories they've already told, but if they ever alter or change their story in the future and your addition contradicts their new storyline, then your content under the FCA must be altered to conform to that new storyline. You can read about it here under "Third Party Work and Fan Art." Of course, they won't be doing new stories in the Myst-verse anytime in the near future, but they have to reserve that right for legal reasons. Likely, you will never have to alter your created content in anyway. Just ask them about it when you email them.

Just to clarify, adding a piece to the Myst stoyline without permission is not the issue; that is perfectly fine under Open SOurce development; it's using the name Garternay since Cyan may reserve the right to create that age in the future.

Also, Nice pillar. It's defiantly on the red side, but it sure it coming along. Excellent work though in such a short amount of time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:04 pm 

So far it's certainly has been more work than I anticipated but I'm enjoying it, Now that I have the idea of Garternay in my mind the possibilities of the content behind how it could still exist and what happened there is very exciting. Like a missing puzzle of the History of D'ni is falling into place.

Anyway, I e-mailed Cyan about it, Hopefully they will give the green light, If not I'll have to name it something else but I could still relate the story to Garternay somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Interesting. Have you seen Ahnonay? According to the book in the Watcher's Pub, Master Kadish claimed it showed past, present and future of the D'ni homeworld. Whether there is anything to those claims is anyone's guess, of course, but the part of it that's visible is very clearly a waterworld. Have you considered integrating any of that lore? There could be legends about it: a waterworld would have a very water-oriented mythology. Especially taking into account the fact that D'ni is basically a lake...

(Just ruminating here ;-))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Slightly off or on topic.. I'm no astronomer or astrophysicist, but.. wouldn't part of a dying red sun involve it expanding as it ejected non-fusing material, which would mean it would expand and actually end up baking the remains of Gartenay in a nebula of ionized particles and heat? Implying that the result is no atmosphere and no life left? Heck, the book Atrus and company found could have linked to Gartenay for all we know, meaning you need a full suit to go there.. and the book the DRC found was sufficiently underground to just be uncomfortably hot and retain an atmopshere (as some sort of Ronay habitation bubble akin to the pod ages)?

Perhaps someone who knows more about that sort of stuff would be able to answer (the main key might be that the planet somehow was habitable when the sun was a red giant.. was that not their original planet then? Was it a 'stop-over' of thousands of years while the sun expanded?)

MOULa KI: #00027582
Welcome back all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:58 pm 

Rayhdeeyoh wrote:
Interesting. Have you seen Ahnonay? According to the book in the Watcher's Pub, Master Kadish claimed it showed past, present and future of the D'ni homeworld. Whether there is anything to those claims is anyone's guess, of course, but the part of it that's visible is very clearly a waterworld. Have you considered integrating any of that lore? There could be legends about it: a waterworld would have a very water-oriented mythology. Especially taking into account the fact that D'ni is basically a lake...

(Just ruminating here ;-))

Yes, I've seen Ahnonay, But I don't think it means it was a waterworld, I got the impression that the water was more a part of the puzzle, A demonstration of sorts than it being what the age was about.

What I mean is, most of Earth is covered in water and there are many vast oceans with islands but the sense I get from Garternay is that it was like earth, like the map of garternay shows massive continents, It to me felt like Garternay is a Mirror to the future of our planet. That at some point the same will happen to our planet and hopefully by that time we as humans have evolved enough to be able to move to another planet.

Gondar wrote:
Slightly off or on topic.. I'm no astronomer or astrophysicist, but.. wouldn't part of a dying red sun involve it expanding as it ejected non-fusing material, which would mean it would expand and actually end up baking the remains of Gartenay in a nebula of ionized particles and heat? Implying that the result is no atmosphere and no life left? Heck, the book Atrus and company found could have linked to Gartenay for all we know, meaning you need a full suit to go there.. and the book the DRC found was sufficiently underground to just be uncomfortably hot and retain an atmopshere (as some sort of Ronay habitation bubble akin to the pod ages)?

Perhaps someone who knows more about that sort of stuff would be able to answer (the main key might be that the planet somehow was habitable when the sun was a red giant.. was that not their original planet then? Was it a 'stop-over' of thousands of years while the sun expanded?)

Yes, That's also what I thought that the planet would be burning up rather than getting cold, but perhaps the big disaster they spoke about wasn't just that the sun started to burn out but also that a giant meteorite could've come towards the planet, knocking it away from the sun into another trajectory miraculously giving the planet another 10 millennia of sustainable life but because of the meteorite a lot of the planet is in ruins and because the sun is still very hot there would be a lot of volcanic activity and water evaporating causing a lot of rain a bit like what could've happened when the dinosaurs became extinct.

It's why I started with the dark/red texturing it's what I would imagine the place to look like now. A lot of volcanic rock and not much living. Also the D'ni architecture in the Cavern seems in general quite dark in style so it would fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:44 am 

Also the dark secret of why the Ronay left and possibly covered up their tracks could have to do with the Bahro? I mean there is already speculation about the D'ni and Bahro on Garternay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Regarding the burnt-ness: The Ronay/D'ni left some... 10,000 years ago, right? Because their sun was sying. But that takes a loooooong time, doesn't it? (I'm not an expert). So while their sun might be getting kinda large and swollen and reddish by now, would is be plausible that it hasn't actually wrecked everything yet? Another 990,000 and we'd be screwed, but the death throes are only just beginning at this point? (speculation)

Regarding the design so far: Loving the reddish/dark value you are using for it! Makes me think of the world where young Polly and Digory discover and awaken Jadiss (sp?) who will become the White Witch in the Narnia series (Magician's Nephew). Stunning architecture, utterly empty. No insects buzzing, no greenery, just a haunting whistle of wind and hissing of dry sand across cobblestones.

Maybe we'll have to be wearing a Maintainer Suit before going to visit, not because there's no air to breathe, but because the UV rays are a bit harsh? hehehe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rhee wrote:
Maybe we'll have to be wearing a Maintainer Suit before going to visit, not because there's no air to breathe, but because the UV rays are a bit harsh? hehehe!

I wondered the same thing, because the opportunity you have here is an amazing chance to utilize the suits in ways Cyan only hoped they could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's that or the atmosphere was blasted away by expanding nebula ejected from the sun. It happens. Still, it has only been ten thousand years, so true it's uninhabitable not nescessarily gone (assuming time moves linear in step across all ages, I'm suspecting not always, but just a feeling so far).
I think that'd be far more eerie than otherwise.. a dim-red harsh landscape, barren of all life, a faint whistling of the hot wind blowing past your suit.. while the buildings slowly succumb to a mix of gravity, heavy UV decay, and wind erosion. An abandoned dead world. That sort of age immediately makes you start watching over your shoulder as you go.. that emptiness only leads to paranoia and agoraphobia. Puzzles fixed about making the abandoned machinery and devices work just long enough to get past, or alternately to let you make paths (that giant pillar marking the square is nice, but it'll make a good bridge across the gorge of the former canal now dry..)
I like the idea!

At this point I'm now wholeheartedly behind the idea, even if Cyan says "Sorry, that's ours to play with, try something else" and it's renamed.

MOULa KI: #00027582
Welcome back all!