Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Location: Relto, Sea of Mist
The Guild of Messengers Is Recruiting!
A combination of events has recently lead to renewed interest for fresh bl-- new Messengers over at the Guild of Messengers! Translators, reporters, editors, all are welcome to the yellow Guild!
What is the GoMe?
The Guild of Messengers' main purpose is to distribute news to the denizens of the Cavern, but over the years our group has branched out into vastly diverse ways to achieve this goal. We maintain a news website, a web directory, quite a few secondary feeds, a newspaper and (hopefully, with your help!) a new video project!
And we need your help!
How can I help?
A Messenger can be one thing, anything, many things, even everything if you're feeling up to the task! These are the current positions available:
- Recruiter: first and foremost, we need someone to bring in more Messengers to assist with the Guild's work. The Recruiter's job is to actively seek out explorers interested in the position. For now, it falls to the Guild Masters to do this job, which limits the time they can devote to other things.
- Translator: the translator's job is to silently but dutifully translate into his language every news article, every magazine article, every video the Guild publishes. Currently translated: English, German, French, Russian.
- Cavern Crier: unlike almost every other position, the Cavern Crier's job mostly takes place in Cavern, relaying (through the regular use of KI Mails, chatting, etc.) news from the surface down to our troglodytic neighbors.
- Cavern Events Team: this position currently isn't filled or prioritary, but it might be interesting eventually to have Messengers providing planning assistance for events when requested.
- Reporter: every Messenger (and, indeed, and willing explorer) can become a reporter from time to time, looking for interesting tidbits of news all over the Internet about Uru and its community.
- Graphic artist: it'd be wonderful to have someone creating artwork for the Guild. Feel like lending your artistic talents to our noble objective (no, it's not world domination... for now)?
- Magazine Team: a member of the magazine/newspaper team searches for potential articles, or writes them himself, then compiles it all together and publishes it as a downloadable PDF, the latest issue of the Cavern Post, for all to enjoy. More details below.
- Video Team: if you join this team, congratulations, you'll be among the first to do so! This is our latest project, tentatively named Uru2U. More details below.
The Cavern Post
The Cavern Post is our magazine. However, due to lack of time and staff, we haven't been able to produce a third issue of the magazine. So, right now we're faced with a choice:
1) We can keep the current format, but we'll need new dedicated Messengers to aid with the task. What we need most of all right now is for people to write articles for the magazine. If you don't feel like being a Messenger, you can always just submit them to us at email@example.com and we'll do our best to integrate them into our next issue.
2) Move to a more blog-based format where PDFs are dropped and articles are published as soon as they are ready, with occasional "special issues" grouping several articles together.
Either way, we need more people to lend us a hand with this work. Any form of help is highly welcomed!
This is our very latest project, still at the conceptual stage. The current plan calls for a slightly humorous, semi-IC monthly/bi-monthly/*-monthly news report "filmed" by screen recording various Uru avatars playing different roles, be it Harry Fryman, the enthusiastic biologist who just might have discovered a new bug in Eder Kemo just by listening, to Frederick Rickard, DRC watchman unfailingly spying their offices from the Ae'gura Spyroom!
So, of course, we'll need a lot of help on this one. Ideally, we'd have a small News Age built just for recording the announcer at his table, for example, or for the occasional weather forecast ("no rain, no sun, no clouds, no change in temperature; stay tuned for changes"). We'll need actors to play and animate the avatars, voice actors to make them come alive to our ears, and of course film editors to put it all together as professionally as possible. With our limited staff and time, we are currently unavailable to handle all these tasks (in my case, for example, I could eventually be an actor or script writer, but my voice is terrible on-mic, I have no video editing skills and I don't have the appropriate software for screen recording).
So this is the Guild's top priority right now. If anybody is interested at all, now's the time! Otherwise, we'll be forced to declare this project dead on arrival and give it up, until such a time as energy, skills and will can be once more invested in it.
The Cavern Post
So let's just assume our propaganda worked and you now have no greater desire in life than to become a Messenger.
First of all, welcome to the Guild!
Secondly, once you've reached the inevitable conclusion that ours is the One True Path to Glory, Immortality and Absolute Enlightenment™, you should contact us about it. We can be reached at (virtually) any time through one of the following means:
- IRC: join us on our IRC channel for live discussion and chatting (even if we're not actually present, there should always at least be someone logging the conversation, so your messages won't go unnoticed),
- Forums: our forums are open to any members. Just sign up and post,
- PM: feel free to PM our current GMs, either Doobes or myself, on the MO:ULa forums or the GoMe forums,
- E-mail: you can always send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to announce your membership.
We're a democratic group, and anyone can join provided they're willing to participate and help in the domain(s) of their choice. If you have more questions, you can reply below, chat with us on IRC, or use any of the above means of communication to reach us.
See you in the Cavern soon!
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are mine only and not Guild endorsed.