It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DMR Broadcast Update
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah All -

Beginning tonight we will be uploading our broadcast using a different (and better I hope) method.

No longer on Ustream (with its never ending adverts injected)

Instead we will be using a private shoutcast server (private = no adverts!)

The process for listening in is relatively easy and some of you may be already familiar with shoutcast

If not, its pretty simple:

First, open any browser and in the address bar type this: http://184.82.87.122:6042 - push enter
This will bring you to a status page for the server - if we are broadcasting you should see a line that reads:
Server Status: Server is currently up and private.

Next - in the top center click the "listen" link and a file will be downloaded - this will bring a file entitled "listen.pls" to your local computer.

Click this file to open it and it will launch what ever music player application your computer has associated with it (i.e. Winamp, iTunes, etc.). If you don't have an installed music player you will need one. Choose from below:

Get Winamp here

Get iTunes here

Get Windows Media Player Here

At this point you should hear the live broadcast as well as see displayed the currently playing track.

As a side note: back on the webpage that will still be open in your browser you will see a link for "Song History" - this will report the last 10 titles that have recently been played on the server.

For you Apple device / iOS users - open safari - enter the above address - tap listen and the stream will automatically play - no further steps. Put your earbuds in and enjoy!

Hope to have you all join us this evening for a fun night of listening, laughs and music journey.

If anyone can't get this to work or has any questions I can be reached on Skype at Planetary.dmr

Thanks!

Last edited by Planetary on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
That's great, Planetary! Shoutcast is, IMO, very easy to use, but for anyone not familiar with it or finding issues, there are some helpful tips in the Getting Shoutcast to Work thread - especially a trouble-shooting post by Marten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:13 pm 

Your new shoutcast links is really really nice :D

I have in my URU folder, the one for my personal stuff, a simple tiny file called: "listen DMR"

I click on it and VLC delivers me not only the nice Stream you guys make but also give me each song name & author as the concert goes on and all this without annoying ads

Thank you! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:40 pm 

Annabelle,

Thanks for your comments. We appreciate.
This 'upgrade' was necessary not only to get rid of ads but also for a better sound quality.
And, as you mentioned, a nice feature with key informations regarding the actual playing song.

After 2 1/2 years of broadcasting, our listeners really deserved this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:42 am 

There are times when, for mysterious reasons, clicking on the "listen" button doesn't work. In those cases, open your media player of choice--Screamer Radio is free, fast, contains no junk, and works well--and paste in the URL above.

And congratulations to the DMR folks for getting off Ustream. :)