It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Teledahn "plates"
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:22 pm 

This puzzle is so finicky it's driving me nuts. I know the combination, and I've tried it going in both directions, and nothing happens. I got it to work once back in Uru: CC, and after that it was stuck forever again. I don't know what the problem is, if I have to avoid the plates that don't get pressed down completely, if I need more weight on each pressure plate, if it's just temperamental, or what.

Also completely confused about the Bahro, but that's another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

If the combination is right and it opens, then the doors will stay open as long as those plates are pressed. If you hit another plate the doors will shut only while that plate is pressed.

You've checked to make sure that the correct plates are pressed and they line up with the levers through the gates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Apparently, the physics engine is different in MOUL than it was in Uru:CC and not only are the rocks harder to move, but sometimes they'll appear to be on the plate, but not actually holding it down. My suggestion is to just keep trying (I know it's aggravating) and get the largest stones you can into the center of the plates you need.

[spoiler=one more suggestion]Instead of using a stone on the plate nearest the door, use your own weight and then run through the door; this will drop the door behind you and open the one on the other side so you don't have to mess with the levers inside, and every time you come back through, you can do the same thing.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

the physics engines used for URU have always been wonkey; originally, valve's commercial havok engine they used for their halflife serries of games was intended for uru which made its way into cc... but for game tap an engine by the name of physx was used, which is what we have today; i find one or the other appiles better to certain areas of the game as to others...

with the teledahn caves physx is a complete mess... even with the cones in the bevins i find my avvie doing crazy stuff like just walking right over it without kicking it... complete mess...

... as for the puzzle,

[spoiler]keep in mind the code for the pressure plates is programmable based on what switches on the wall beyond the gate you have flipped...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]as for running through the gate from the nearest plate i'd find that difficult to pull off... the avvies take quite a bit of
accelleration, even from a running start, and that gate drops like a hammer the instant weight is removed...[/spoiler]

unfortunatley, finiky is the word best used to describe it... kick stuff and hope it moves where you want it to or that it even moves at all; once something manages to land on a plate i find it registers fine... the problem is getting it on the plate; i've also noticed an audio glitch where after kicking something the sfx occolates repeatidly even from clear across the age but with no adverse effects on play...

however, i have noticed that with physx objects on the edge of the plate that should resonably regester don't...

... and one important word of advice; do your best to keep the rubble away from the walls, if something lands there it's as good as wasted. you'll never get your avvie positioned to kick it again, and if all the junk gets pushed to the walls you'll be forced to restart teledahn which means ereasing all the progress you've made up to that point...

Last edited by Main_Avvie on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

YutzWagon wrote:
This puzzle is so finicky it's driving me nuts. I know the combination, and I've tried it going in both directions, and nothing happens. I got it to work once back in Uru: CC, and after that it was stuck forever again. I don't know what the problem is, if I have to avoid the plates that don't get pressed down completely, if I need more weight on each pressure plate, if it's just temperamental, or what.

Also completely confused about the Bahro, but that's another thread.
Note that off-line and on-line do not work the same way. What is up in CC is down in URU Live and vice versa. The clue is the same - 4 of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:45 pm 

The physics in the steam version of Uru CC i have is just as bad. I'll run though again, even though when I checked a walkthrough to make sure I was doing it right, It was the correct sequence in both games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:52 am 

Sometimes I get better results if I walk backwards to nudge one of the rocks. But yes, very infuriating puzzle. The solution seems crystal clear, but the execution..... aarrrgghhhh....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:17 am 
Obduction Backer

I've never had trouble with the plates, either online or off. But I wholeheartedly agree that the MOUL physics make the rocks very hard to kick.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 am 

I figured it out. I was doing it wrong. :oops:

Must have solved it the first time by accident. I went exploring again and found the diagram in Sharper's office.

Blazed though the next two ages and now all I have is the Eder pair. Hooray for herding fireflies. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:27 am 
Obduction Backer

YutzWagon wrote:
Hooray for herding fireflies. :roll:

Hooray...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Just a "quick" note to those that are still having problems here...there are other things to move (kick) around other than rocks...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:00 am 
Obduction Backer

yes Charura...

[spoiler]....like sticks and stones and broken bones :P [/spoiler]

and ana... good thing what doesn't work for me works well for you; sometimes i try walking backwards on them and the same thing happens as if i had gone forward... nothing. either that or they end up taking some random trajectory...

and yutz... you think those teledahn pressure plates are bad, don't get meh started on those fireflies!! :P :P

i suppose it's good to keep in mind that due to the nature of rampant glitches in uru sometimes getting something... anything! to register is trial and error if it isn't working properly...
... whether it be getting the solution of a puzzle to register or sending ki mail or pics or sharing the relto book or solving the entire blasted age of ahnonay!! just try stuff until it works... and as always feel free to ask for help :D

also, since the name of the game is puzzles; it's also apparent that figuring them out isn't always gonna happen on the first try... and in myst it's almost garenteed; asking for help, again, is always a healthy option in game or on the forums...