It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:00 am 
Obduction Backer

I was thinking about Uru Live and had an idea:

What if Cyan were to make a single-player, offline Uru sequel that would continue the story and keep the high production values, released in a similar way to Sam & Max? Assuming that no one else will pick up Uru Live, or that Cyan doesn't want to pursue continuing it (at least for the time being), an offline sequel might work.

A game like this, while not being Uru Live, would continue the storyline and probably be more manageable than an online game (no server costs, etc.) In addition, existing content could be repurposed and new content could be developed for single-player. If GameTap picks it up, it would give us more content on a regular basis and could be sold retail, as Sam & Max is.

I'm not really saying this game should replace Uru Live--I'm just saying that if Live doesn't work out, this may be a viable option.

In addition, there could be a built-in chat feature in an offline single player game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 am 

I have heard an interresting comment to the fact that maybe MO:UL
was some kind of testing ground for a next online game from Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:31 am 

i like this idea, anything for more D'ni !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeap, i sure like the idea too !

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Artic_Wagon wrote:
I have heard an interresting comment to the fact that maybe MO:UL
was some kind of testing ground for a next online game from Cyan.

A rather expensive and complex testing ground at that... no, MOUL has been Cyan's biggest project for the past 11 years or so; millions of dollars were invested on it; I don't think it was a testing ground.
(But I'm curious, where did you hear this? Was it simply fan speculation?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:32 pm 

Well, thing is...

That doesn't really save Cyan money. One of the problems they faced with the first Uru Live and Myst V was that the conventional retail market simply doesn't make them money like it used to. Distributors control the market nowadays, and there isn't enough interest in the game to get enough people to buy it.

This isn't just an Uru problem, this is a Myst problem. No matter how you look at it, the franchise is hitting the wall. In the beginning, the market was huge because it was a new concept. Myst is no longer a new concept, and the longer they beat the dead horse, the more of a niche market it will become.

Cyan has to come up with something new again, and I'm sure they will. But the way it looks to me, no matter how many sequels Cyan has made, spinoffs they produce or online versions they try, Myst just isn't as attractive to mainstream gamers as it used to be, and the answer is not to keep pumping out sequels.

They need to step outside the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

I understand what you're saying, and although I agree adventure games are a niche market, they're still profitable. The success of both Nintendo's Wii console and Sam & Max show that games can be successful even if they don't aim towards the mainstream market (at least completely).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]