It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Good idea?
Yay 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Nay 88%  88%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 32
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:32 pm 

(just to inform everyone, I'm not a greeter, but I'm looking into becoming one in M.O.R.E.)

Okay, hears an idea I just had:

You just started playing URU, you went to the cleft, and you came back with your page.

As soon as you link back to Relto, a Greeter is there to congratulate you, and to welcome you to the cavern.

I think that would be really cool that someone would personally come greet you, and to inform you that there will always be help available if you need it.

Now for the technical side of it.

The greeters would have a special KI, a KI that they could disable or enable.
When they enable it, it would connect to the hood, and when a new player joined and was watching Yesha's video in the Cleft, the KI would start to flash, the greeters would then open there KI and it would name the player about to finish the cleft.

They could then organize who would go to greet them.
(for this example lets name our greeter Bob, and our new explorer Frank)

Greeter Bob got selected, so he links back to the greeter hood.

When he gets there he enters a room that only one person can be in at a time, kinda like the Egg Room.

As soon as Frank enters the tree in the cleft, a Linking book to Frank's Relto opens (kinda like the Nexus)
Greeter Bob then links to Frank's Relto and awaits him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nice idea but, sorry, it would break my immersion.

In addition I do not like the idea that someone could go to my Relto without my permission or my invite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:06 pm 

I like the idea but feel that it is a little time intensive. What would work better is just a more direct link to the GoG hood, but I can understand how a new player would be intimidated by a large group. Mabey just having a list of greeters that can be contacted through the KI personally. It would make the process less manpower intensive and would still retain the personal one on one touch.
The second immediate problem I can see is technical. Cyan does not have the time, money, or manpower to be doing any KI work. I would rather see that time put into making something already there work, like The Wall, instead of something like the Greeters KI upgrade.
Thirdly, I have seen times where I am the only Greeter in the Bevin. If someone trips this system when there is no one to respond, what would the consequences be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:57 pm 

I suppose I didn't think about that when I thought of this.

Well, never mind then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Your enthusiasm for wanting to provide new players with the best experience possible is commendable, moosehadley. I'm sure you'll make a wonderful Greeter. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:10 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Your enthusiasm for wanting to provide new players with the best experience possible is commendable, moosehadley. I'm sure you'll make a wonderful Greeter. :D

Well thank you very much :D

I thought it was a good idea at the time, but yes, I can understand that some people wouldn't want someone they don't know just randomly pop-ing up in there Relto.

I just thought that it would give people a feeling of being among good people, we all know that very few other MMO's have the same morals we do.

I thought it would be nice to have someone come up and say "Shorah!" from the moment you started.

But as Ancient Player and semplerfi said, some people would not like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:25 pm 

Ancient Player wrote:
I like the idea but feel that it is a little time intensive. What would work better is just a more direct link to the GoG hood,

Thats a good idea too, but rather than a hood, why don't they just get there own Age?

According to the journals, all the guilds used to have there own Ages.

Also, there could be a direct link in your book shelf.

It would be really neat if they used (I forget the name of it, it was the age that looked like the hoods, but it was flipped and it had stands every where with T-Shirts for the guilds) as a "recruiting" area, where you could sign-up for different guilds, every stand would have someone standing at it to represent the guild, and answer any questions about it.

Also every guild would have its own age.
Like "Camp Bravo" for the maintainers.

Every guild would have a use, such as The Writers can make ages, then The Maintainers could send it back due to bugs, or send it on to a ResEng (In other words, Cyan) who would ether post it in a Nexus type area, or reject it.

Also, it would be cool if Arua Phats became part of it as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:45 pm 

as is .. finish cleft , goto relto , explore relto, see bookshelf, click on Bevin book, goto Bevin. from there one can explore bevin and find the nexus. also the Bevin Book on ones bookshelf is initially a link to a populated Bevin (not a private one). so, the possibility exists that a new explorer will meet someone in that bevin instance.

i believe that the idea of making an explorer explore a little to discover things is the core of the experience. yes , sometimes it is frustrating. that is all part of the puzzle.

the idea is not without merit. but possibly a little to "hand -holding"

the option of being able to explore with AND/OR without interaction is the core allure.

KI#283599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:03 pm 

There are a number of problems and issues with this suggestion.

Greeters are just players who pays their money just like everyone else, yet volunteer their play time to help anyone who asks. Giving any player group a KI with features beyond that of every other player is unfair and a very unlikely a thing for Cyan to do.

Having only a level 2 user KI, of course, prevents any player from intruding on anyone's personal Relto without an invitation. Greeters will happily take a new player to their own Relto for a one-on-one show and tell. All you have to do is ask. (This is usually the first demonstration for the new player on how to share their Relto book.)

And, as mentioned above, the new player is expected to explore a bit. There are adequate clues (at least in Bevin and the Bevin classroom) to tell the player where help can be found, Figuring out that you can click on the Bevin book and then finding your way to mini-Ghareesen to collect your KI are the two main challenges then followed by figuring out the Nexus. Perhaps Cyan can add more slides to the classroom imager to cover all the Guilds as well. A yellow stickie note on the Relto bookshelf above the Bevin book that says "Touch Me" would go a long way to help new players get started. :wink:

Also, remember that their are a finite number of Greeters whose time in Cavern is in many cases limited by surface concerns. The lack of international players during MOUL was also a problem. It would be very difficult to guarantee that a Greeter would always be available 24/7, man the Greeters' Bevin and also be free to gad about visiting Reltos on demand. The Greeter group is a very small group compared to the entire player community. I would estimate that 1% or less of the players in MOUL were Greeters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:58 pm 

How about another idea?

Game starts in cleft like it used to. Whenever one gets a Ki, you get assigned a neighborhood -- like normal. However, when you use any of the Bahro stone links, you get transported to the Guild of Greeters. It's just a thought. Maybe some greeters could wait by the balcony to welcome any visitors that arrived at their hood this way.

Bunny = Yea

Fox = Neigh

Bunny

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:50 pm 

Unless a change is made to the code as it was the time of shutdown, Visitors coming from GT were automatically sent to the GoG. If you use the KI command, /sendinvite <email> <name>, then that person is assigned to the same neighborhood as the person who sent the invite.

Since the visitor account available by clicking on the GT button is no longer available, then it appears the person doing the inviting might be a bit responsible for helping the the other person get started (or a least helping them find the GoG). Cyan will have to revisit the visitor access (a simple solution is to make a link at the Cyan website that serves the same purpose as the GT visitor account... heh! always reuse code if possible).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]